Speeding up nail growth?

wickedwahine11

Reaction score
I did a search but just kept finding threads on strengthening your nails. That is not my problem, they are plenty strong. But does anyone happen to have any tips on growing your nails faster?

In a fit of insanity, I trimmed them way too short and now my fingerpicking sounds meh. I am planning on using my old Alaska Piks until they grow back, but I much prefer my regular nails. I thought about getting acrylics but there seemed to be a lot of mixed thought on that in the prior threads - with many folks saying they are not goid in the long run. Plus, I am not really looking for a long term relationship with acrylics, just trying to get my own back.

I know I only need a mm or two, not looking for claws. So does anyone have any tips to speed up the process? :)

yeah if you stop playing your Moore Bettah for a few days and keep yourself busy on something else, you'll be surprised how much they've grown! Just a joke!!

Last edited:
4 capsules of Flax Seed oil each day. Costco has them at an amazing price, but most drugstores and grocery stores have them, too.

Try Sally Hansen Vita Surge growth gel. I started using this earlier this year to strengthen my nails, and it does that better than any product I've tried, but they seem to be growing really fast since I started using it. And it's not a polish - just a gel you rub into your nails, so they remain natural looking when you use it (to me that was a big plus, I don't like "done" looking nails which is why I never went with acrylics).

I try to eat right. Plenty of fresh veggies & fruit. I figure that must be good for nails.

I also have Fred Kelly Fingerpicks handy for nail accidents. They're not nails, but as good as finger picks get.

In a fit of insanity, I trimmed them way too short and now my fingerpicking sounds meh.

I know I only need a mm or two, not looking for claws.
The only advice I can offer is, be patient. A mm or two shouldn't take more than a week or so. :)

If Biotin or any other supplement really works, it's going to take some time before you can start to see a difference anyway.

The Sally Hansen product janeray mentioned sounds promising. But it even says "longer nails in five days".

Try Sally Hansen Vita Surge growth gel. I started using this earlier this year to strengthen my nails, and it does that better than any product I've tried, but they seem to be growing really fast since I started using it. And it's not a polish - just a gel you rub into your nails, so they remain natural looking when you use it (to me that was a big plus, I don't like "done" looking nails which is why I never went with acrylics).

Just went to the store and bought some. Thanks for the recommendation. :)

I can attest to the thyroid hormone helping nails grow. I have been hypo for years and my hair and nails grow super fast. Prenatal vitamins also make your nails grow faster, but I don't suggest taking them unless you are pregnant.

My mom used to take vitamin E capsules and break them and rub the gel into her nails for strengthening and growth.

On vacation this summer, I had a lark to do a manicure and did the gel polish. That stuff is tough. Even with hard strumming for hours, it stays put. I'm thinking of doing it again and just having clear instead of a color.

My mom swore that drinking Knox Gelatin strengthens nails. The internet say it's true so it must be! You may need the stronger nails for that sweet new uke.

For what it's worth I would shy from acrylics. I would think that covering them would soften the nail (protein) and possible scratch that wonderful finish.

Good luck and enjoy

My mom swore that drinking Knox Gelatin strengthens nails. The internet say it's true so it must be! You may need the stronger nails for that sweet new uke.

For what it's worth I would shy from acrylics. I would think that covering them would soften the nail (protein) and possible scratch that wonderful finish.....
I have acrylics. I love them. Yes, there is a MAJOR problem with them -- you can not stop using them. They do damage the nail underneath. If you let it grow out, ideally the new growth will be fine.
I have not noticed any scratches on my finish due to the nails. But I sure love the consistent feel of my nails. I know exactly how they are going to hit and feel the strings. (I am somewhat of a nail geek)
Personally, I don't think you can just make your nails grow faster -- medications excepted.

try not to worry about it, they will be back in less than a week.

Both my elderly aunt and myself have started taking quite high doses of calcium [for osteoporosis] in the last few years and upon seeing each other for the first time in an eon earlier this summer, we both commented how much faster our nails and hair grows. Mine grew relatively quickly before but I can barely keep up now. :|

Both my elderly aunt and myself have started taking quite high doses of calcium [for osteoporosis] in the last few years and upon seeing each other for the first time in an eon earlier this summer, we both commented how much faster our nails and hair grows. Mine grew relatively quickly before but I can barely keep up now. :|

Interesting. I figure the nail growth is a quick fix, but I am growing my hair out so that is good to know.

The difference between a good and bad haircut is about a week, the same probably applies for a manicure.
I don't know how to get nails to grow faster, but they will grow eventually and naturally. As they are made of calcium, it could be a good excuse to eat some more icecream and nice whole dairy products to increase calcium intake, at least. It may also be true that a little bit of chocolate coating increases the rate that calcium is absorbed into the human body, to make strong bones and nails. A modest intake of icrecream and chocolate could be a useful short term fix, probably just as useful as anything else.
It could also be an opportunity to try some picking styles that use the fingertips instead of the nails.
I love it when the answer to your problem is "eat more ice cream and chocolate".

–Lori

You can make them stronger, but I'm not sure there is anything that that will make your nails grow faster. Sometimes various topicals make them look a bit longer, but that's probably part of the placebo effect.

Is there a dermatologist in the house?

Top Bottom