Trevor Usher 'Sounds In Scale' soprano uke

DazW

Reaction score
Hi all, just a quick review of a soprano uke I recently commissioned from a luthier based in Llyn, Wales called Trevor Usher.
I believe he has made custom guitars for many years and has recently started making ukuleles.

I discovered Trevor and his business 'Sounds In Scale' whilst browsing the ukuleles on eBay. He had a lovely spruce topped soprano for sale and stated in the description that he is taking custom orders for ukuleles so I enquired about having a Martin style soprano made.

image.jpg. image.jpg. image.jpg. image.jpg. image.jpg.

As you can see in the pics I asked for something heavily influenced by the old style O Martins, all solid mahogany, ebony nut/saddle, bar frets and rosewood tuning pegs.
I am absolutely delighted with the uke :), it's everything I asked for and I can't find a single flaw, everything is perfect. Intonation spot on, fit and finish immaculate and sounds exactly as I hoped it would. I will get a video sound sample done at some point.

Currently strung with standard Aquila's, I may experiment with Worth clears sometime but at the minute the Aquila's are great. The peg tuners work fine and to be honest in the 2 weeks I've had it it's rarely needed tuning.

I am so pleased with this one, I have just ordered 2 more sopranos from Trevor :D. One is similar to this but more like the Martin style 2 with binding and Grover tuners. The second is completely different, all sycamore body, maple neck and rosewood binding all over.

As for the overall experience, I was in regular contact throughout the build and was sent photos of the progress. It was great to see it coming together.
I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Trevor and although prices will obviously vary depending on wood selection etc, I reckon you will happy with the quoted price.

Google 'Sounds In Scale' and check out his Facebook page where you will see my uke and a few others recently sold.

Cheers

Last edited:
Nice! How does it sound?

Its all solid mahogany so sounds lovely. Loud but not in your face, very sweet tone. I cant compare the sound to the old Martins as I've not really had the chance to play one, I played a 1920s style 2 for a couple of minutes recently but that's about it (hopefully buying that next month!).
I'm not usually a fan of Aquilas but they do sound good on this uke, I am going to try some Worth clears just to hear the difference.
I played nothing but Chinese factory ukes for a few years, which I think are fine don't get me wrong, but since I got this one made I don't see the point in spending x amount on one when I can pay a little more and chose my own spec and design. Yes there's a bit of a wait but its really worth it

Last edited:
That looks like excellent work. If Trevor is making those for similar money to a Chinese factory uke, then that is seriously good value.

There must be something in the air in North Wales.

John Colter.

That looks like excellent work. If Trevor is making those for similar money to a Chinese factory uke, then that is seriously good value.

There must be something in the air in North Wales.

John Colter.

Obviously price depends on spec but yes around £200 will get you a cracking little uke

For a plain, craftsman-built, solid wooden soprano, that is an incredible price.

John Colter.

Beware of judging how a ukulele sounds, simply by listening to a recorded sample. You will not hear the true sound of the uke, just an electronic representation. I've known some unappealing ukes that sounded good in recordings, and vice versa.

John Colter.

Would it be possible to hear a sound sample of this uke? Looks beautiful. I'm interested in one if I like the sound.

Hi, yes sorry I will get a sound sample done asap. I will have to use my iPad so cant promise the quality will be great. I have just changed the Aquila's to Worth clears yesterday and honestly, the difference is unbelievable. I loved the uke anyway but now I really love it! very very happy with the sound.

Last edited:
Hi, here's a little sample of my uke. Filmed on an iPad mini so no idea how it'll sound on other devices, maybe headphones would be best. Couldn't think of anything to play so just played a few chords (my hands turn to jelly when the record button goes on!)
Cheers

Top Bottom