Makore Disaster

Timbuck

Reaction score
I had already completed six sets of makore sopranos, thicknessed to size, rosettes fitted..and to keep them safe and dry, I put them in a steel filing cabinet drawer..with one of those dehumidifier packs. You know the type a plastic box with silica gel granules in the top,you peel off the membrane cover and it goes to work removing any moisture around it,the water ends up in the box...But! when I went to get out another set to start the next uke..Shock! Horror! :uhoh: the dehumidifier had fallen over, depositing a load of wet gooey gunk into the bottom of the drawer...The result being that the wood work soaked up the mess and stained all the sets...I try'd drying them out but it was no good they were all ruined..the silica gel in the water had penetrated right through I tried out some CA glue on it to see if it affected the adhesion and it just peeled off in a thin film....Oh well! another lesson learned:( Time for another fire....Should have sold them when I had the chance.

Last edited:
I'll bet you said, "Oh! Dash and Bother!" - or words to that effect. Seriously though, Ken, that's a major annoyance. Excellent wood, a load of work, to say nothing of the sneezing you endured - all for nowt.

You deserve a beer or three, then get back to work!

John C.

Yes! John, I looked upon this disaster as just one of those little niggles that life throws your way from time to time:rolleyes:... Just as you'd expect from a British stiff upper lipped type gent :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Last edited:
Yes! John, I looked upon this disaster as just one of those little niggles that life throws your way from time to time

I like that Ken, just a little niggle. I hope you took John's advice on the beers!

Oh no! I hate when that happens! Sorry to hear this Ken. I agree with the beer remedy suggestion!

That can be very disheartening, glad you're taking it so well.

There are some suggestions around for removal of silicone. They might be worth a try. Nothing to loose.

Tragic. In the future you may want to use a small electric dehumidifier like the Eva-Dry that I use. They are low wattage (45-75 watts depending on the model) and are designed for use in closets and on boats. They gather water in a container that you empty every few days.

IF Mrs. timbuck can save them, I'd rather see you build them than me, its almost like burning them if you let me have a crack at them, but tell me if you've had it with them, and I'll make a bed for them and put another plate at the breakfast table.

In order to relieve some of the stress and sadness of timms plight, I offer up a comedic relief joke, (which I always do to make someone smile in the face of bad situations)A teacher asked someone in her 5th grade class to use disaster in a sentence, A small boy held up his hand and said" my sister sat on a lawnmower while it was running and it disaster" Moderators may delete this and scourge me if necessary.

Top Bottom