This is Why I Stink at Ukulele!

soupking

Reaction score
Thought I'd throw this up just for fun on a typical slow UU Sunday night. I was gonna title the thread "I Don't Always Love My Kids, But When I Do They're Making Me Laugh," but my sense of humor has never gone over well here, which is fine- it's my fault- Haha.

Anyway, for the four of you who bother watching this mess, it was supposed to initially be a Marketplace thread sound sample- so that I could raise some funds to buy some razors- before quickly devolving into a complete disaster. It showcases probably the extent of my ukulele playing prowess since I can never get any practicing in because there are always kids climbing on top of me. Then again, I've seen nongdam getting pestered before on camera I think and he's really good. Blast! I stink because I stink! But it's okay since the ukulele is so gosh darn fun! It makes people happy, as evidenced here...

I played this uke all day that day and ultimately decided not to list it. I don't play sopranos often, but I walked around with it for hours annoying the whole house and it was a blast. I had to put Aquilas on it too 'cause I thought I had a pack of Hilo sopranos before I took the A string off, but I only had the tenor sets, and I never changed the soprano strings in two years- so if it sounds at all out of tune they were only five minutes old.

Maui Music ukuleles are up there, though. They play effortlessly, look good, sound good, and they're well built. What more can you ask for? I like them a lot. Respect to the guy who's still doing it old school after all these years: Aloha, Peter! This one goes out to you! Ha! -- "Soupy"

PS My son is playing a UU Vic Blue Frog soprano I bought for him off here. It's very nice!

Last edited:
That was fun. Your son is a ham. Tell him if he actually learns to play, he'll be able to get chicks once he's interested in them. (I watched his fingers, he never formed a chord.)

Good on you for deciding to keep your soprano. I mostly play tenors and rarely touch my soprano Flea, but I can't bring myself to part with it. Just because, yeah, you never know when you might want to play a soprano. :)

Or if someone wanted to try the different sizes and I invite them over. I have a soprano, a concert, a bari, and 7 tenors they can try. :p

And your playing doesn't stink. I have no idea where Clifton Heights, PA is, but check out meetup.com for uke groups near you. You'd have a lot of fun. The ones I've attended had everything from amazing players to rank beginners, with most of us somewhere inbetween on some kind of rough bell curve.

Hey neighbor! You don't stink and your son is funny! I live next to your town. Let me know when u want to jam or just try out each other's ukes :p

Mina :eek:

You should watch Sean (ukuleledaddy) last video. Amazing concentration despite his daughters best efforts to distract him. He didn't miss one beat! I'm so impressed. I love the Mistakes bit at the end by the way.

You need to help your son decide whether he should play as a righty or lefty.
It was a nice video and a great sounding uke..

That was fun to watch and listen to. Your playing is just fine, you've got all the essentials down, good steady rhythm, strong strumming, well formed chords that ring clear. Now, if you could just sing! (Just kidding, your singing is OK too!)

You are being too hard on your self. Your strumming is very nice.

Why do it from memory? Just read the chord charts off camera, and enjoy.

Have you tried teaching your son some simple songs? You guys could them collaborate

I see a lot of potential here!

Best of luck.

good playing there. very nice!

Cool Matt, you got lots of people checking out the thread. That means people are curious on what you post. Cheers.

Top Bottom