My Nail Care article (draft)

Olarte

Reaction score
I posted this on another thread in hope of preventing another UU member for ruining his nails with fake ones due to the frustration of keeping caring for playable right hand nails.

As a classical guitar player, and having met and talked with many of today's best classical guitarists, I wrote and article about my experience with nail care and would like to share this with you.

I was going to publish this but got side tracked with cancer... Now that I'm recovering from surgery, I thought I would share this with you before posting it on my blog.

Tell you what I'm attaching a link to a draft of my article which I plan to post. Check it out and feel free to ask or make any comments.

Nail care pdf.

If you like it and don't have a drop box account please consider joining via my referral link below...
I've been using Dropbox and thought you might like it. You get 2gb of free secure space on the Internet to transfer\\store or send files
It's a free way to bring all your files anywhere and share them easily.
And now we both get an extra 500mb of free space of you join through my link below...
Please sign up with this link so we both get some bonus space:https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTI1MDk4NTMxOQ

Last edited:
This is a good article, Ivan. I have used the glue-dots and nylon nails system for a badly broken nail and it works temporarily. And learned to use my left hand for things, though you are still going to break one now and then, no matter what. Shaping and buffing them smooth helps.

Thanks Steve, and yes no matter what a nail will eventually chip, which is why I find a combination of good maintenance plus an emergency plan work real well for me, as well as being able to adjust any finger that gets chopped but some nail remains....

My system has worked for me for over 2 years, which is why I decided to write it up

Ivan

This is very helpful thanks. I have a couple of tips myself. Whenever I am at the sink, washing my hands, I always scrub my nails. This ensures that any potentially harmful products that we collect daily, such as cleaning products, oil/petrol ( for the mechanics out there ) paint and all the other harmful things we come into contact with, are washed off and the nail gets the best chance it can have at growing .
The other tip is ....... savarez nail repair kit. It consists of glue and silk strips. I totally agree with the point that the acrylics/glue ruin your nails. I come from a classical guitar background and in desperation turned to acrylic nails. Too late I realised that after using them for a month or so, my nails became paper thin. It took me about 12 months to get them back to a reasonable condition. Never again. The Savarez nail kit can be used as a repair kit or you can build a full nail with it. I only use it to repair because you only put the smallest amount of glue on the nail and then only on the tip of the nail, not the whole surface.

i don't know what's in it or how it works but Vaseline healthy hand & nail (in the pink tube) works very well!

Olarte, thanks for all the good info! My nails are so fragile that I can't get them to grow out far enough to engage the strings before they split and break. I think I need something like what James Taylor was showing on his video. I'm thinking that I could get it on there, and extended just far enough to use now. Taylor made the point that the material can be extended beyond the existing nail. I'm still wrestling with the options.

Top Bottom