what equipment to you use to record videos

geoffsuke

Reaction score
heyup uu!!!

after my old youtube account went all whereabouts, i have decided to upgrade my recording equipment to start off on a new level. i already have a behringer c-3 mic coming and thats connect through a mixer, i'm just down to the video now.

what i need is something that i can record with straight onto the computer so i can have the sound from the mic and the video from the camcorder. can you do this???

what do you guys personally use????

peace :cheers: and beer

okay.. this is part of my age old question.. i am jumping into the world of youtube also! i have been in the youtube world for a bit now.. (iamnotbobdylan) and with my new page (dominicfoundthemoon) and i want to start making better videos... in the old days i would use a sony quick cam and just whatever video program came with windowns..

but now... i am a MAC... after seeing julia nunes.. and getting into some of the videos... i notices that people were using macs.. so i new use imove to make all my videos... i record with the regular mic that comes with the computer and it works well.. i also use grage band.. and this works well also...

this is where we get tricky.. real tricky..

i want to LAYER my videos... one on top of the other.. cut from one video to the next.. but have thre sound remain constant... the same..

example...

have me play the whole song from start to finish as the first layer.. and add me playing drums.. maybe a solo.. maybe a harmoney.. and just put them all right on top of each other...

here is what i have been told...

turn on imove.. hit record.. move over to grarge band.. hit record and lay down your track.. with each new track on garage band.. make a video of that.. then when you have it all tracked in gband.. export to itunes as an mp3 then go make my video.. take the clips.. turn the volume off.. and import the single mp3 track in.. then make sure it all matches up... (THATS THE HARD PART)

and that is that!!

but it makes me think.. for real.. that is what i need to do.. there is not some simple video program.. that i can use on my mac that just does PIP or layers.. and no i do not want to use FINALCUT is is way to complcated...

so that is where i am now.. i am thinking abotu getting a snowball?? mic like russ.. but not sure yet...

ideas.. thoughts... remember i am on a mac! and i do love my mac..

Mac & Ukulele.. its the new dinner of choice for those of us on the moon..

d

heyup uu!!!

after my old youtube account went all whereabouts, i have decided to upgrade my recording equipment to start off on a new level. i already have a behringer c-3 mic coming and thats connect through a mixer, i'm just down to the video now.

what i need is something that i can record with straight onto the computer so i can have the sound from the mic and the video from the camcorder. can you do this???

what do you guys personally use????

peace :cheers: and beer

Hey, geoffsuke. I use GarageBand and iMovie for all my video projects. The internal mic is good enough for my purposes.

When I use an external mic, which is rarely, I plug it into a pre-amp that's connected to my computer. GarageBand recognizes it instantly. I use the MobilePre from M-Audio as my pre-amp.

Some of my videos have multi-tracked audio. These are the ones that I use GarageBand for. I just film myself doing the takes, edit the audio in GarageBand, then export it as an mp3 and use that as my audio track in iMovie.

When the mp3 is in iMovie, I sync the video to it. Hope that helps.

Hey, geoffsuke. I use GarageBand and iMovie for all my video projects. The internal mic is good enough for my purposes.

When I use an external mic, which is rarely, I plug it into a pre-amp that's connected to my computer. GarageBand recognizes it instantly. I use the MobilePre from M-Audio as my pre-amp.

Some of my videos have multi-tracked audio. These are the ones that I use GarageBand for. I just film myself doing the takes, edit the audio in GarageBand, then export it as an mp3 and use that as my audio track in iMovie.

When the mp3 is in iMovie, I sync the video to it. Hope that helps.

how long does this take you? i have yet to give it a try.... this weekend i will... someone should do a tutorial on this..

but yeah.. i am going to see what i can do..

d

how long does this take you? i have yet to give it a try.... this weekend i will... someone should do a tutorial on this..

but yeah.. i am going to see what i can do..

d

It depends. If I'm doing only one track audio, it can take 15 minutes. If I've got a lot of tracks in my audio, that means that I have a lot of takes recorded on video, too. Hotel California and Brown Woman took like 3 - 4 hours each.

magix audiolab ulead 11+

magix audiolab with a $5 mic from maplins
for video i use ulead 11+ its got 6 layers of greenscreen
the camera i use is about 20 years old video8 nikon sony clone

So far I use a cheesy old Canon PowerShot A450 and its built in mike. I use iMovie for any editing, adding of titles, etc. It's an old version of iMovie because I have an old eMac.

The "fanciest" video I've ever done has takes from two camera angles and it's kind of a beeyotch to try and get the edits lined up and synced correctly, but it can be done.

If you're doing multiple takes and using your camera's built in audio like I am you have to separate the audio and video tracks in iMovie. You also have to do this if you're trying to use the "MTV style" titling I found.

This has the bonus of making the usual extremely long rendering time (when you're done editing) into a truly hideously long rendering time. Luckily, I generally finish these things in the evening and just start 'em rendering before I go to bed. They're done by morning.

Look at your lighting and backgrounds

Two things that really help your video are good lighting, and controlled backgrounds. Choose your background carefully, and your clothing too. Try and keep it simple and attractive. Proper lighting takes a little time, but makes a huge difference. Best results usually occur when you can keep too much light from spilling onto your background. As for sound, if you can get a mic close to your uke, instead of the one mounted on the computer/ camcorder, you will get better results.

On my podcasts (warning, these are not on ukuleles, but interviews with painters, sculptors, and comic book artists) we try and get broadcast quality shows on a shoestring budget. I know YouTube gets people used to low quality production, but you can do so much to improve your presentation... and people will think you're a better player too.

Examples of our attempts at careful lighting (we are still learning);
http://www.ForArtsSake.tv
http://www.ArtistsOnArt.tv

Cheers, Lori

Lori, those videos look excellent.

Lori, those videos look excellent.

Thanks! We were beginners when we first picked up the camera, and arranged the borrowed lights. I did a lot of research online and got a crash course on video production. Just the basics, keylight, bounce light, hair/ back light can get you started.

Lori

I would do WHATEVER seeso does. His videos are amazing.:D You also need a cute little dog to occasionally walk by while you are playing. That really adds to the magic that is a seeso video!!!

but it makes me think.. for real.. that is what i need to do.. there is not some simple video program.. that i can use on my mac that just does PIP or layers.. and no i do not want to use FINALCUT is is way to complcated...

d

The latest version of iMovie (iMovie 09) does PIP, and while it doesn't work fully in layers, it does have the option to do precision editing.

The older iMovie HD is a free download from Apple now and that has the option for plugins that do PIP and split screen. The plug-ins all cost about $40 - $50 though. The iMovie HD is also a good one to have when your computer is having a slow day! I sometimes have problems with iMovie 08 or 09 freezing, but iMovie HD never does.

Hope that helps a bit.

The latest version of iMovie (iMovie 09) does PIP, and while it doesn't work fully in layers, it does have the option to do precision editing.

The older iMovie HD is a free download from Apple now and that has the option for plugins that do PIP and split screen. The plug-ins all cost about $40 - $50 though. The iMovie HD is also a good one to have when your computer is having a slow day! I sometimes have problems with iMovie 08 or 09 freezing, but iMovie HD never does.

Hope that helps a bit.

humm i need to do both of the things you suggested.. and i need to do them when i get the MONEY! but i do need to do them.. and then you and i need to talk.. i want to know how to do this better!!

but i did just finish my first ever video!! well.. first video like this..

check it out!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsNv7K-cYpk

Top Bottom