PDA

View Full Version : Kala MGM Tribute

geetee
09-01-2014, 02:50 PM
So, Kala has a Mike Aratani (aka MusicGuyMike) Commemorative special edition tenor model on their site. It seems like a nice acknowledgment of Mike's contributions to the ukulele community. Not to mention that he sold a lot of their product.

Anybody tried one? What did you think?

Oh, and if you click on his picture, it takes you to the In Memoriam posted on theukulelereview site.

itsme
09-01-2014, 03:11 PM
So, Kala has a Mike Aratani (aka MusicGuyMike) Commemorative special edition tenor model on their site.
Got a link? I couldn't find it.

I think it's a fitting tribute. I bought my Kala thinline used from a fellow UU member, but it was originally purchased from and set up by MGM himself.

good_uke_boy
09-01-2014, 03:14 PM
http://www.kalabrand.com/Models/Kala/SpecialEditions/DetailsPageSpecials.html#two

Ukejenny
09-01-2014, 03:51 PM
It looks beautiful. I read the tribute and watched his beginner video. His voice is so soothing and calming.

billten
09-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Does anybody know how to go about ordering one of these?

katysax
09-01-2014, 04:30 PM
What a nice tribute. It's a pretty looking uke.

wayfarer75
09-01-2014, 05:19 PM
That's such a nice tribute. I'd consider getting one myself. Hmmmm...

hawaii 50
09-01-2014, 05:28 PM
So, Kala has a Mike Aratani (aka MusicGuyMike) Commemorative special edition tenor model on their site. It seems like a nice acknowledgment of Mike's contributions to the ukulele community. Not to mention that he sold a lot of their product.

Anybody tried one? What did you think?

Oh, and if you click on his picture, it takes you to the In Memoriam posted on theukulelereview site.

Yeah Greg Andrew has one at his office in Wahiawa...sounds nice
not sure how many he has but give him a call if interested.....:)

greenie44
09-01-2014, 06:14 PM
That is a really beautiful act by Kala.

igorthebarbarian
09-01-2014, 08:20 PM
Agreed. Classy act by Kala on their part

Skinny Money McGee
09-02-2014, 02:01 AM
It IZ nice, just waiting for Kahuna & Kayaker to chime in on this MGM uke.

AndrewKuker
09-02-2014, 02:06 AM
Ya, it's based off this model, same woods, just a slot head, got a cool picture of Mike inside.

http://youtu.be/_q-hBI_ninA?list=UUH6E4xDfxBqrkoKdAyVu2dg

Mike Upton, owner of Kala, gifted me the first one. Is that cool or what?! It sounds really good. First time I heard both Corey and Aaron say they wanted to buy a Kala (just cause they have so many high end ukes) I'll do a review soon, though it may seem biased considering we are buying them all. At least the first run, not sure how many will be made.

We all still miss and talk about Mike. I think it's nice what Kala did. And it's a really nice instrument.

Sporin
09-02-2014, 02:22 AM
That is awesome! And given the fantastic quality of the Kala's lately I bet it sounds amazing. :music: :nana:

UkerDanno
09-02-2014, 02:32 AM
Ya, it's based off this model, same woods, just a slot head, got a cool picture of Mike inside.

I was wondering what makes this particular model a tribute to Mike.

kvehe
09-02-2014, 03:17 AM
It IZ nice, just waiting for Kahuna & Kayaker to chime in on this MGM uke.

LOL, you were the first person I thought of when I saw this thread. :D

UkuEroll
09-02-2014, 06:11 AM
Great tribute to a great man.

hawaii 50
09-02-2014, 06:14 AM

everyone who knew Mike and knows what he did for Kala understands why this uke was built...when did you meet him...

and how or what kind of answer are you looking for? kind of hard to understand what your question is....:)

Telperion
09-02-2014, 06:40 AM
everyone who knew Mike and knows what he did for Kala understands why this uke was built...when did you meet him...

and how or what kind of answer are you looking for? kind of hard to understand what your question is....:)

I took UkerDanno's question to mean, "Which particular elements of this uke are in tribute to MGM, and what meaning do they carry?"

-Steve

hawaii 50
09-02-2014, 06:48 AM
I took the question to mean "which particular elements of this uke are in tribute to MGM, and what meaning do they carry?"

-Steve

maybe none....Mike Upton of Kala built this uke for Mike...for all the Aloha Mike had for him...and all the UU members who met or talked to Mike about the ukulele understand.....

he is gone almost one year now...and we still talk about Mike and miss him....

I think the MGM tribute uke is about the feelings people had for Mike...not really what kind of wood or finish on it....:)

I could be answering the question 180 degrees off...but still confused how to answer....

my 2 cents....:)

Telperion
09-02-2014, 07:29 AM
maybe none....Mike Upton of Kala built this uke for Mike...for all the Aloha Mike had for him...

Actually, that's a great answer! Very glad they did a tribute to MGM. It's a beautiful gesture regardless of whether there is any specific symbolism in the design. I think a lot of us were influenced and helped by Mike. Most people here likely have a good idea of his impact on the uke world, but I'm guessing very few of us knew him on a personal enough level to know his preferences. It's easy to understand why Mike Upton built this tribute uke. I simply wondered if maybe he incorporated some of MGM's favorite design elements. Whatever the case, it's cool to see the love that people still have for MGM.

-Steve

Olarte
09-02-2014, 08:52 AM
It screams qualify, love the headstock and tuners, the binding etc.... It is a beautiful tribute to Mike.

Ironically, my first Uke bought from Mike, is a spruce top that I have since got signed by about 20 artists from Jake to Sarah and Craig. That is my own tribute to Mkle.

But I would definitely be interested in this one!

AndrewKuker
09-02-2014, 09:08 AM

Mike was a big influence on the community and promoted Kala a lot and for good reason. He even helped them with ideas like a thin body line that became the travel series and more. So Mike Upton had made Mike the model that had his signiture on it (the one Mike had everyone sign). It has this totally different checkered binding along the side that this new model has but other than that it's just an all solid spruce rosewood tenor. Mike at Kala asked me about whether or not to do it. I said, well, you did away with the Marcy Marxer model and it would be nice to have another all solid tenor in the line. Some might care that it's a tribute to MGM, some might just want a good all solid wood tenor for a good price and his face on the inside will be irrelevant (mostly the case with Marcy Marxer) but either way we'll buy them.
So I sent him Mike's uke to copy and 6 months later he sent back Mike's and the new model that will arrive soon(a week or so). It's a great uke for 399, no matter what they call it.
I'm glad I have a uke with his picture in it. Means something to me.

Paul December
09-02-2014, 09:13 AM
maybe none....Mike Upton of Kala built this uke for Mike...for all the Aloha Mike had for him...and all the UU members who met or talked to Mike about the ukulele understand.....

he is gone almost one year now...and we still talk about Mike and miss him....

I think the MGM tribute uke is about the feelings people had for Mike...not really what kind of wood or finish on it....:)

I could be answering the question 180 degrees off...but still confused how to answer....

my 2 cents....:)

Andrew states (earlier in the thread) it has a pic of Mike inside.
I wonder if they used a photo or his iconic avatar.

strumsilly
09-02-2014, 09:27 AM
mmmm. tenor, solid spruce top, solid rosewood back and sides, MMM's picture inside. what's not to love? I may have to get one. I bought my first new ukulele from him. spoke with him a few times on the phone.GREAT GUY. rest in peace mIKE.

Olarte
09-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Anybody know what the retail price will be?

I also have a Bill Tapia signature Uke along with a pic of Mr. Tapia.

I will most likely do the same with MGM's.

To think how many thousands got their first Uke from Mike!

ksiegel
09-02-2014, 10:02 AM

My first quality uke came from Mike - my Kala Cedar Top. We had a long telephone conversation, I gave him my budget, and he gave me my future.

I'm glad I had finally gotten to meet him last year at the Wine Country Uke Fest; i just wish that I'd been able to spend more time with him.

I'll have to consider buying one of these - don't know where the money will come from, but it will be worth it. I think of Mike every time I play a ukulele.

-Kurt

hawaii 50
09-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Andrew states (earlier in the thread) it has a pic of Mike inside.
I wonder if they used a photo or his iconic avatar.

It has a picture of Miike...it would of been cool if they had used Mike's avatar....

hawaii 50
09-02-2014, 10:22 AM
Anybody know what the retail price will be?

I also have a Bill Tapia signature Uke along with a pic of Mr. Tapia.

I will most likely do the same with MGM's.

the Bill Tapia uke pretty cool too....
above it says going for 399.00

Olarte
09-02-2014, 10:58 AM
Cool, thanks!

But the kala website says 569 ouch

the Bill Tapia uke pretty cool too....
above it says going for 399.00

wayfarer75
09-02-2014, 11:31 AM
Cool, thanks!

But the kala website says 569 ouch

Kala's website always gives the list price. Most sellers don't charge that much.

greyghost
09-03-2014, 02:47 AM
Kala's website always gives the list price. Most sellers don't charge that much.
This. And since Andrew will be selling them, I'd trust him on that $399 price. Now to figure out how to afford one...

geetee
09-03-2014, 01:01 PM
It IZ nice

I was wondering if anyone would make that comparison. I seem to remember that Martin was donating some of the proceeds to IZ's widow to forward to the charity of her choice. And I wonder if Kala made a similar arrangement with Mike's family. It would be a nice gesture if they did.

ukegirl
09-03-2014, 03:56 PM
Wow, I am really impressed with the Uke and the thought behind it...well done Kala!

UkerDanno
09-03-2014, 05:44 PM
Mike was a big influence on the community and promoted Kala a lot and for good reason. He even helped them with ideas like a thin body line that became the travel series and more. So Mike Upton had made Mike the model that had his signiture on it (the one Mike had everyone sign). It has this totally different checkered binding along the side that this new model has but other than that it's just an all solid spruce rosewood tenor. Mike at Kala asked me about whether or not to do it. I said, well, you did away with the Marcy Marxer model and it would be nice to have another all solid tenor in the line. Some might care that it's a tribute to MGM, some might just want a good all solid wood tenor for a good price and his face on the inside will be irrelevant (mostly the case with Marcy Marxer) but either way we'll buy them.
So I sent him Mike's uke to copy and 6 months later he sent back Mike's and the new model that will arrive soon(a week or so). It's a great uke for 399, no matter what they call it.
I'm glad I have a uke with his picture in it. Means something to me.

thanks, Andrew, that's what I wanted to know.

coolkayaker1
09-04-2014, 05:19 AM
I said, well, you did away with the Marcy Marxer model and it would be nice to have another all solid tenor in the line. Some might care that it's a tribute to MGM, some might just want a good all solid wood tenor for a good price and his face on the inside will be irrelevant (mostly the case with Marcy Marxer) but either way we'll buy them.

I wish the best to Kala on the MGM model.

But, they did away with the Marcy Marxer model!? Oh, my Lord. What about her feelings?

Nickie
09-04-2014, 07:10 AM
I would imagine that a "dedication" model is only gonna have a temporary run. I'm pleased that Kala is doing this, but I don't expect it to last forever. I hope they sell like hotcakes!

Steedy
09-04-2014, 11:11 AM
I never knew MGM personally, but I'd feel honored and inspired to own one of these, simply because of all the great things Mike did and for all the aloha he shared.

AndrewKuker
09-04-2014, 12:17 PM
I was wondering if anyone would make that comparison. I seem to remember that Martin was donating some of the proceeds to IZ's widow to forward to the charity of her choice. And I wonder if Kala made a similar arrangement with Mike's family. It would be a nice gesture if they did.

When Mike passed away I asked his family if I could do a charity auction or something to help them with the cost of the funeral. They said they didn't need or want money from anyone. The price would be the same if it was a regular model. This isn't a marketing scheme. This is a simple gesture to honor someone that impacted our lives and the community.

they did away with the Marcy Marxer model!? Oh, my Lord. What about her feelings?

Limited runs are always more special.

bonesigh
09-04-2014, 03:04 PM
Marcy now has a Collings that she plays. I think she's happy (:

Steedy
10-02-2014, 11:19 PM
These just became available at HMS (http://www.theukulelesite.com). I immediately ordered one.

Olarte
10-03-2014, 03:57 AM
I tried to put an order in but got some sort of Paypal gateway error....

Sent an e-mail to Andrew to check on it as I am definitely getting one of these with a misi pickup to boot! ;-)

UkerDanno
10-03-2014, 04:55 AM
If I was a Tenor guy, I'd def' have to have one of these! I didn't know Mike or (Mic'), but enjoyed his videos and posts here on UU.

Radio Flyer
10-03-2014, 08:05 AM
elderly also list them for $399 and availability as 'on the way'.

Olarte
10-03-2014, 08:08 AM
I would only get this one from HMS...

And according to the HMS Site " But Joel and Chris were Mike's original MGM setup crew so they are surely most qualified to set up his commemorative model. That's why we bought the entire limited run."

Elderly often lists items like this as on the way but I don't think they end up carrying any.

sam13
10-03-2014, 12:43 PM
Here it is ... nice sounding ... at the HMS site:

http://www.theukulelesite.com/kala-ka-srt-ma-michael-aratani-mgm-commemorative-tenor-ukulele.html

Olarte
10-04-2014, 11:00 PM
Andrew, here is where I would like the neck strap button placement. On the kala I ordered. I'm psyched to get this in honor of Mike.

I bought my first Uke from him a sprucetop which is full of signatures of my Uke heroes, I only wish he had signed that one...

The Big Kahuna
10-04-2014, 11:37 PM
tl;dr

Has anyone from Kala explained why they've spelled commemorative wrong on the inside label?

And before any of the usual suspects wades in and misinterprets my post as "hate" (either deliberately, or because they were dropped on their head when they were a baby), I am fully in support of this uke, and the reason behind it's existence. I chatted to Mike a few times on Facebook and here, and found him to be a great guy.

My point is, if you're going to offer something as a commemoration of the life of someone who was almost universally loved and respected, the very least you can do is spell the damn word correctly. Anything less displays a disrespectful lack of care.

hawaii 50
10-05-2014, 06:39 AM
Andrew, here is where I would like the neck strap button placement. On the kala I ordered. I'm psyched to get this in honor of Mike.

I bought my first Uke from him a sprucetop which is full of signatures of my Uke heroes, I only wish he had signed that one...

you should email Andrew....he may not see your post here.....

Dan Uke
10-05-2014, 06:52 AM
tl;dr

Has anyone from Kala explained why they've spelled commemorative wrong on the inside label?

And before any of the usual suspects wades in and misinterprets my post as "hate" (either deliberately, or because they were dropped on their head when they were a baby), I am fully in support of this uke, and the reason behind it's existence. I chatted to Mike a few times on Facebook and here, and found him to be a great guy.

My point is, if you're going to offer something as a commemoration of the life of someone who was almost universally loved and respected, the very least you can do is spell the damn word correctly. Anything less displays a disrespectful lack of care.

Agreed, mispelling online is ok but not for a finished product. Hopefully someone can reach them to fix it.

I just went on their website and it's amazing that Kala was started in 2005, which doesn't appear to be a long time. Good for them to have such a presence in the ukulele world.

The Big Kahuna
10-05-2014, 06:55 AM
Unless the image on HMS is a pre-production mock-up of the inside sticker.

AndrewKuker
10-05-2014, 10:46 AM
tl;dr

Oh wow, good job! You’re the first one that noticed. It was our secret contest and the winner gets entered into our year end raffle for a free soft serve ice cream at McDonalds!! Congratulations Niq!

Agreed, mispelling online is ok but not for a finished product.

Oh please. You have two ukes that say Moore Bettah inside. Helllo…it’s spelled better! Don’t be salty just ‘cause Niq won the contest.

Andrew, here is where I would like the neck strap button placement.

Gotcha, that's our default location on 95% of ukes.

So it was just misspelled on my personal uke so I could commemarote the notorious grammar rebel that Mike was. The rest of them are spelled correctly, as you can see at the website.

The Big Kahuna
10-05-2014, 11:16 AM
That's cool Andrew :)

Anyway, I'm just off to your website to order my Martin "Oz" and Kamaka "Jane Shimabukuro" ukes.

AndrewKuker
10-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Haha, actually I saw your message on fb and ran down to the shop to check. Phew! Only mine was misspelled. I didn't even notice, thanks :cool: I'm off to the beach with the kids. Aloha!

Moore Bettah Ukuleles
10-05-2014, 12:21 PM
Oh wow, good job! You’re the first one that noticed. It was our secret contest and the winner gets entered into our year end raffle for a free soft serve ice cream at McDonalds!! Congratulations Niq!

Oh please. You have two ukes that say Moore Bettah inside. Helllo…it’s spelled better! Don’t be salty just ‘cause Niq won the contest.

So it was just misspelled on my personal uke so I could commemarote the notorious grammar rebel that Mike was. The rest of them are spelled correctly, as you can see at the website.

I don't get whut the big deel is. If any of you had ever comunicatted with mike you'de no speling wasnt his fort.

--Chuck Moore
More Better Yukuleles

Dan Uke
10-05-2014, 12:32 PM

Ah man...I thought someone would catch my "mispelling"...I guess it wasn't funny :p Being Korean, misspelling is an accepted form of life. There was this huge store in Koreatown for years that had a big "Disconount" Store sign.

What do you mean Bettah is spelled wrong? I always thought Moore was spelled wrong but wanted to be nice to Chuck!

You can call me li hing mui now since I'm so salty! hahaha

Nickie
10-05-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't get whut the big deel is. If any of you had ever comunicatted with mike you'de no speling wasnt his fort.

--Chuck Moore
More Better Yukuleles

Laffing oot lout.....

kafkapenguin
12-26-2016, 06:23 PM
So greetings one and all! I've been away for a long time and just found my way back to this site. This all came about when a friend invited me to xmas dinner and asked me to bring my uke over to do some picking. I haven't played my uke for over a year, so I got it out, dusted it off, and realized I need time to get back in shape! My fingers hurt! lol! So, living in Colorado as I do, and partaking of some most tasty Gorilla Glue, I found myself googling around for ukes, and found this tenor which totally blew my mind. I had to have it! I have a nice Tenor Uke and don't need another, but UAS poked me in the belly and I ordered one of these MGM Ukes just because, well I was stoned and I just needed it! Because! If it sounds even close to how nice it looks I will be very happy indeed. I'll let you all know my experience once I get it. Feels good to be strumming again and can't wait to have this MGM Tenor in my hands.

cheers!

r

geetee
12-26-2016, 08:55 PM
Welcome back. You can't take that much time off and not expect to be a little bit Rusty. :uhoh:

I'm sure you are going to love your limited edition uke!

kafkapenguin
12-27-2016, 04:28 PM
lol! thanks! Those that know me will get the joke. ;) I asked for a dropped G and a wound G and low action from Joel. Got an email today saying no prob. Very excited to get this. Working on building my calluses back. ;)

cheers!

HubbaBubba
12-27-2016, 04:59 PM
I ordered my MGM uke about 3 months ago and love. It has a real sweet, bell like tone to it. The set up was perfect and I could not be happier with it.