Black fingers from strings

jermlilly

Reaction score
If I play the uku for more than a few minutes my fingers turn black from the strings. Why is this? Cheap strings or is this just something that i am going to have to deal with?

I've never heard of that before from any strings, whether black, red, gold, or any other color. :eek: If they're the strings that came with your uke, chances are they're cheap and not very good. Swap them out for any reputable brand (Aquila, Worth, D'Addario, Ko'olau, Kala, Hilo, etc) and you shouldn't have that problem anymore.

I have never heard this one before.

It might be cheap strings. I will assume it is the stock strings that came with it. It may be that the fret board has something on it, dirt or something. Try taking a papertowel, tissue or TP and rub it up and down the strings to see if the strings turn black. then try rubbing it on the fretboard. if you can isolate the problem it will be easier to fix. Probably something needs cleaned though.

Last edited:
Someone else posted a thread regarding black fingers.....i think someoone said it was just residue from the strings...

It's either dirt, as others have suggested, or someone used marker to change clear or white strings to black because they liked the looks.

I known about this. Your finger tips turn black because one of your strings is unplated, aluminum wound. The black is aluminum oxide. It's not necessarily cheap.

Your finger tips turn black because one of your strings is unplated, aluminum wound. The black is aluminum oxide.
And all these years I thought that high school chemistry was a waste of time. I should have paid more attention.

If I play the uku for more than a few minutes my fingers turn black from the strings. Why is this? Cheap strings or is this just something that i am going to have to deal with?

It's the sign of the Devil.....seriously, sometimes espcially if you have a ebony fretboard, they will dye the wood to make it more uniform. Very common.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Finishi...ints,_and_stains/Black_Fingerboard_Stain.html

That black could also be dye from your fretboard...or the aluminum string as stated.

Im going with the fret board. If the wood has been coloured in to make it look like more expensive rosewood or ebony then this could wear off over time.
EDIT: I missed the last post. Sorry folks

The C string is wrapped but why would that cause my fingers to turn black? Its my strumming hand that turns black so i dont think its the fretboard. It happenes the most when i pick the instrument rather than strumm. So now if thats the case how can i fix it?

The C string is wrapped but why would that cause my fingers to turn black? Its my strumming hand that turns black so i dont think its the fretboard. It happenes the most when i pick the instrument rather than strumm. So now if thats the case how can i fix it?
Change the strings.

Change strings and wash yer filthy mitts before you pick up the instrument.:eek:ld:

Thats a great idea. Wash my hands before they get dirty. Huh, never thought about that. Some kinda logic yo got there my friend. But hey I'll take yours as well as some others suggestions,including my pal cpatch,and change the strings! Thanks to all! much appreciated!

Thats a great idea. Wash my hands before they get dirty. Huh, never thought about that. Some kinda logic yo got there my friend. But hey I'll take yours as well as some others suggestions,including my pal cpatch,and change the strings! Thanks to all! much appreciated!

Um.. I think he's referring to your strings being filthy... which would cause black hands.... Have you attempted to clean your strings?

Welcome to the forums, jermlily.

I may be mistaken, but it sounds like you're being sarcastic to people who are trying to help you. If so, take this as a friendly reminder to be nice. If I'm mistaken, disregard this message.

Top Bottom