Fixing a Hilo...

I don't think it warped back. Now that I look closer, the strings are closer to the frets on the first three frets. So how do I solve that? Idon't have the money to get the tools. Anyone have any DIY?

Last edited:
Try to take it to a music store and see what they say. can you post a pic of it? someone must know what to do.

Your action needs to be adjusted. You need to replace the nut at at the top of the fretboard. Any guitar shop can do it for you, I'm not really sure how much they generally charge. It is something you CAN do by yourself, if you feel comfortable. Here's a link on replacing nuts:
http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/nuts.htm

I had this same problem with my saprano Ukulele.
It turned out that the 10th fret bar was too high.

My Ukulele Construction Manual says that the height of the strings at the 12 fret should be 5/32''.

I have two suggestions.
First get a ruler that has 32nds of an inch, and check the height of the stings at the 12th fret.

If the srtings are too close, here is what you could do.

You could get some 220 grit sandpaper, and sand down the nut and saddle until the height is 5/32" above the 12th fret.

Or

If the height of the strings at the 12th fret is good, but those fret bars are just too high you can do this.

This is what I did with my saprano.
First loosen the strings so that they can come about 1 1/2" off of the fret board.
Then, take a fine tooth file ( you can get it at Home Depot for less than $10 )
and slip it under the strings.
File down the fret bars that are too tall SLOWLY.
Make sure that you are filing parallel to the fret board.
After a few strokes with the file, tighten the strings and check the height.
if still not good, repeat the process.

Hope this helps, if you have any questions, I'll do my best to help.

Aloha
Acabooe:cool:

oops, I forgot to say that if you are going to use the sand paper method, you need to get a new nut and saddle, an put them on first.
THEN, you can sand down to the right height.

Acabooe:cool:

ha. i think i just got the idea for my next tutorial.

first thing you wanna do is inspect how the thing looks in different angles. hold the uke up to your face and look down the fretboard. kinda like holding a rifle. or how you would look down a sword to make sure it is straight. see if there is any forward (concaved fretboard) or backward (convexed) curvature. if it is concaved, you will want to start working on the saddle first. if it is convexed, then you would want to work on the nut first.

basically, if the nut or saddle is too low, then you will have to make a new one to raise it up. if it is too hight, you can shave parts down, or cut deeper notches.

the kind of action i shoot for is...
i should be able to hold a med guitar pick between the first fret wire and the strings without it falling out.
strings higher up on the neck dont exceed .5cm from the fret wires.

now, obviously if the neck is warped, you will not be able to get these same tolerances. but if you work on the right thing first, nut or saddle, and just work slowly and see what needs adjustment, and how, you will be able to fix it at least enough to play it.

hmm well sounds like the neck got warped back, this might be a good resource for it.

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/67981

lol thats funny... you posted up something that I posted at answerbag! I won a contest there :D

My hilo used to be warped and the strings created alot of buzz on the frets, but somehow the buzz went away and it plays great.

lol thats funny... you posted up something that I posted at answerbag! I won a contest there :D

My hilo used to be warped and the strings created alot of buzz on the frets, but somehow the buzz went away and it plays great.

ooh i didnt even notice i jus blindly copy and pasted haha cuz i thought that article would help.

Top Bottom