Cocobolo Ukuleles Testimonials

Cocobolo Ukuleles

Reaction score
I have received some encouraging emails from happy customers lately and I couldn't help but want to share them with the UU community. This post is a little bit long, but the emails are fun, and every one of them is special to me. I have developed some fun relationships over the last year. Thank you for your interest.

First, here are a couple of emails that I received from “Tiki” from Australia. He’s gotta be the coolest uker/surfer in Australia. He truly has the aloha spirit:

Aloha Kevin,

Just got delivery of her… fantastic....Just spent the last hour getting the strings to tighten up a bit and then played her.... as I said before..... BLOODY LOVELY!! mate!! she lives up to all expectations, and with age and climatising to our weather ...will be better... tell the MAN He's the MAN and never lose that attention to detail and sound. The combo of mahogany and cocobolo , including the fret board, in fact everywhere the woods have been used is what I would have done, artistically and ascetically… congratulations to everyone involved. Mucho gracias for the stickers and hat too and will proudly show and tell your wonderful uke, for sure ....... Will keep in touch and again big thankyou to all...... cheers TIKI

Here is another email I received from Tiki about a month later. I love to hear how excited he is about his new ukulele:

Hey Kevin,

Have been giving the uke a pounding since it arrived and the more I play the more I enjoy, she just gets better with age... she is like me, the older the better eh!... I smashed up my middle finger 2 weeks ago but still no stoppin me playing. Again tell the boys how pleased I am and that Carlos Santana's Black Magic Woman sounds beautiful on her… Mahalo TIKI

Here are a couple of fun pictures of Tiki and his uke. What a stud!

DSC_2587 (2) (800x607).jpg

Testimonials2.jpg

Testimonials3.jpg

Second, Nick from NY, who received his new ukulele last week:

Hi Kevin,

Got it!!!!!

It was a gamble - but after our emails and reading underground forums I put my full trust in you and your product!

It is fabulous! It looks incredible and sounds great! I love the radiused frets - it plays super. I need to get some photos of it and spend some time writing a review - making sure I include everything. I can't put this together until Sunday evening or early next week, but I will let you know when I post it.

So stay tuned! Thank you so much!

I love it

-Nick

Here is a picture of his uke:

B1.jpg

Here is the link to his UU review of his ukulele:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com...an-Concert-Cocobolo&highlight=cocobolo+review

Here is a link to the sound sample of his cocobolo top. His playing is excellent:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt-wLdSA78Y

Third, from "Fisherman" (his UU name) from Australia, who just received his new cocobolo top ukulele today:

Hi Kevin

Just a quick note to say the uke arrived safe and sound. First impressions are it’s a stunner. Very pretty, fine workmanship, and sounds lovely, with plenty of volume. I only tuned it up a couple of hours ago and the sound continues to improve - I guess I’ll have a better idea in a day or two after the soundboard comes fully up to tension.

The neck and fretboard are particularly impressive. Action and feel is excellent. Love that cocobolo fretboard! The intonation is perfect at every fret. Likely the luthier went to a lot of trouble to make sure it was spot on. Very impressive work all around.

Thanks again!

Here is a picture of Fisherman's new uke:

P1040097.jpg

Here is a link to his UU review:

http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?100255-NUD-Concert-Cocobolo-uke-!

Here is a sound sample of his new uke. I love it when his 2-year-old joins in on the maracas!

http://youtu.be/Z0AqhGApBX8

Fourth, I just received this email from John Gonzalez, owner of Fan Guitar and Ukulele in Richmond, Virginia last Friday when he received the 2 new ukes that I recently sent him. He has been a big help to us as we have been dialing in our ukes over the last year. Great guy. If you live in Virginia make sure you stop by his store and say hi:

Kevin,
Got the ukes! They sound really good, these are the best sounding ones yet. Fatter low end bass response and great projection. Is the top a little thinner, or the bracing on the top lighter? The radius is nice. It’s cool the way the radius of the nut and saddle match the radius of the fingerboard. The slot that the nut sits in is much more squared off and professional looking. Fit and finish is very good and consistent. Nice work!!!!

I put a low g string on one of them. It sounds really good. I'll shoot some video over this weekend.

Thanks,

John G

Here is a link to John's video review of our ukuleles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azYhV5sNmMs

Fifth, this is Rappsy's UU review of his new cocobolo top:

I just received my latest Uke and it is a concert from Cocobolo Ukuleles, the small Nicaraguan company that has been making quite a splash in the Uke world and here on UU. The Uke is absolutely beautiful. The wood is stunning and running my hands around it I find it to be totally smooth. No glue marks or attachment marks at all. I thought that the wood was a little more glossy in the pictures than it is in my possession, but it still is a beautifully hand made instrument and a work of art. I can tell that there was real care put into it and I commend their luthiers for this.

My preliminary impression is that the Uke has a very rich and mellow sound. It does not have the higher twangy Uke sound, (how's that for a description) of let's say a soprano, but you will probably have the prettiest sounding uke at your group play along. It is very melodic and would be great for fingerpicking and chord/melody arrangements and of course playing solo. This is where it would really shine..

As it is a real wood, I expect it to open up more over time. Kevin at Cocobolo Ukuleles has been fantastic to deal with and if this Uke is any indication, his company has a long life ahead of it.

Sixth, here is another note from Nick Quarrier from Ithaca, NY, who is as delighted as ever with his new ukulele:

After a month with this ukulele I am still incredibly impressed. Having 7 ukes of various qualities and price ranges this cocobolo is my go to uke of choice. The feel and easy ability to play and the sweet sound I love. Also I can't stop gazing at the fabulous cocobolo grain pattern! In plain words, it is perfect for my musical ability. I have been reading the UU discussion on radiused fret boards with interest. I really like it and feel the radiused frets makes my playing better.
I am itching to get another concert cocobolo in the future.

Seventh, here is a nice email that I received from Jeanne from Chicago, IL:

Hi Kevin!

I am considering a tenor, but the sound on my concert is so unbelievably rich that maybe I don’t need one! I have to tell you how my ukulele has developed over the last few months. The sound has grown progressively richer and the sustain has increased so impressively. The cocobolo top truly gives it a beautiful sound like no other. It is a joy to play.

I see on your website that you are now offering cocobolo tops as a regular option! I feel lucky to have been a part of the group that got one of the first. I am so happy that more people are hearing about your wonderful company and your beautiful ukes.

Good luck on the tenors and keep me posted!

Jeanne

Eighth, here is an email that I received from Paul from Singapore:

Hi Kevin,

You just made one SUPER HAPPY customer!!

I finally got my hands on #152 today and it is just so beautiful! I'll send you a clip of the sound after the strings settle. I totally love it!

Thank you for selling me this beautiful ukulele!

Paul

Last edited:
Top Bottom