PDA

View Full Version : Modifying my Kala Archtop

kissing
09-03-2014, 10:37 PM
The Shadow electronic system on my Kala Archtop died.
Personally I wasn't a huge fan of how it sounded when it did work anyway.

Generally I'm a huge fan of Shadow products, but the particular one on mine had weak output and prominent hum.

So I unscrewed it and removed the whole thing.

But what to do with the big gaping hole at the side of the uke?
I decided to do a bit of novice DIY:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y121/pactio_kiss/20140827_2142001_zps8b9887a2.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/pactio_kiss/media/20140827_2142001_zps8b9887a2.jpg.html)

I think I'll nickname this uke the "Love machine".

Next step: To install a high quality passive undersaddle system.
Shouldn't be too hard since the right holes are already drilled from the previous pickup system.

KaraUkey
09-03-2014, 11:48 PM
Keen to see how you get on. I love my Kala Archtop, it was my first uke but the pickup is a bit so so, and that is my main requirement.

Jim Hanks
09-04-2014, 12:43 AM
Custom side port! Love it! :cool:

kissing
09-04-2014, 01:39 AM
I haven't strung it up yet as I'm still waiting for my Artec undersaddle pickup to arrive in the post; but I'm thinking that this uke would benefit from a side port hole.

Hammond
09-04-2014, 02:29 AM
Nice one!

I also did similar mod on my Kala uke. Cheers :cheers:

Here is the old photo.

http://www.hamhk.com/uu/DSC_1291.jpg

kissing
09-04-2014, 02:38 AM
In retrospect, using a paper tracing to outline the edges of the shape would have made the job a lot easier!

Ukejenny
09-04-2014, 04:19 AM
I "love" it!!!!!

Jim Hanks
09-04-2014, 04:25 PM
I "love" it!!!!!
I see what you did there.

linear
01-29-2015, 10:40 AM
How is this project coming along? My Kala archtop sounds great, but when I plug it in it sounds flat and dull through the pickup and it's even a little distorted unless I turn the onboard volume nearly down to 0. I'm using an outboard preamp to make it sound a little nicer, but that's a finicky solution.

Also, has expanding the hole in the side has affected the tone of the uke any?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Booli
01-29-2015, 01:02 PM
so, are you gonna put up a video of a 'heart song' with your newly 'customized' archtop? he he...

good work, does it SOUND better with the side port?

kissing
01-29-2015, 03:00 PM
I believe that the sound port has improved the sound and projection. This uke truly benefits from the port because the F-holes are quite narrow. The ports allow more sound to escape.

I havent been able to make a video yet.. one of my close friends has grown quite fond of this uke and has sorta taken it into her custody..

kissing
01-29-2015, 03:02 PM
How is this project coming along? My Kala archtop sounds great, but when I plug it in it sounds flat and dull through the pickup and it's even a little distorted unless I turn the onboard volume nearly down to 0. I'm using an outboard preamp to make it sound a little nicer, but that's a finicky solution.

Also, has expanding the hole in the side has affected the tone of the uke any?

Thanks for posting the pics!

The new Artec passive pickup that i had installed performs a lot better than the original Shadow pickup system. Loud, clear and no distortion