Modifying my Kala Archtop

kissing

Reaction score
The Shadow electronic system on my Kala Archtop died.
Personally I wasn't a huge fan of how it sounded when it did work anyway.

Generally I'm a huge fan of Shadow products, but the particular one on mine had weak output and prominent hum.

So I unscrewed it and removed the whole thing.

But what to do with the big gaping hole at the side of the uke?
I decided to do a bit of novice DIY:

I think I'll nickname this uke the "Love machine".

Next step: To install a high quality passive undersaddle system.
Shouldn't be too hard since the right holes are already drilled from the previous pickup system.

Custom side port! Love it! :cool:

I haven't strung it up yet as I'm still waiting for my Artec undersaddle pickup to arrive in the post; but I'm thinking that this uke would benefit from a side port hole.

Nice one!

I also did similar mod on my Kala uke. Cheers :cheers:

Here is the old photo.

DSC_1291.jpg

In retrospect, using a paper tracing to outline the edges of the shape would have made the job a lot easier!

How is this project coming along? My Kala archtop sounds great, but when I plug it in it sounds flat and dull through the pickup and it's even a little distorted unless I turn the onboard volume nearly down to 0. I'm using an outboard preamp to make it sound a little nicer, but that's a finicky solution.

Also, has expanding the hole in the side has affected the tone of the uke any?

Thanks for posting the pics!

so, are you gonna put up a video of a 'heart song' with your newly 'customized' archtop? he he...

good work, does it SOUND better with the side port?

I believe that the sound port has improved the sound and projection. This uke truly benefits from the port because the F-holes are quite narrow. The ports allow more sound to escape.

I havent been able to make a video yet.. one of my close friends has grown quite fond of this uke and has sorta taken it into her custody..

How is this project coming along? My Kala archtop sounds great, but when I plug it in it sounds flat and dull through the pickup and it's even a little distorted unless I turn the onboard volume nearly down to 0. I'm using an outboard preamp to make it sound a little nicer, but that's a finicky solution.

Also, has expanding the hole in the side has affected the tone of the uke any?

Thanks for posting the pics!

The new Artec passive pickup that i had installed performs a lot better than the original Shadow pickup system. Loud, clear and no distortion

Top Bottom