Need help buying strings!

Jessmn

Reaction score
I'm going out today and buying a Kala MK-S Makala Series Satin Soprano Ukulele, to use as my "beater" uke and to hold me over until my ordered uke arrives. I called a local store and told them I want Aquila strings and they say they only have Concert size in stock but will just cut them shorter and put them on the uke when I buy it.

Are the Concert Aquila strings the same thickness as the Soprano? Is the only difference the length? I don't know this store well enough to trust what they say.

(I've got my very first ukulele on order at HMS and find I cannot wait until they ship it to get my hands on a ukulele. It's a concert Kala KA-KCG Slothead Gloss.)
Denise

I happen to have both sets handy but it doesn't specify the gauges on the pack, however, I found this info. on the elderly site which shows that the gauges are slightly different. Not sure how that affects things though.

AQUILA 7U CONCERT UKE SET
NYLGUT, REGULAR TUNING - Key of C (GCEA, 4th to 1st, "bass to treb"). Strings are plain Nylgut. Nylgut is polymerized plastic with additives patented by Aquila. It has the closest sound to gut strings we have heard. Made in Italy. Gauge, 1st to 4th, about 0243, 0305, 0373, 0265 inches.

AQUILA 4U SOPRANO UKE SET
NYLGUT, REGULAR TUNING - Key of C (GCEA, 4th to 1st, "bass to treb"). Strings are plain Nylgut. Nylgut is polymerized plastic with additives patented by Aquila. It has the closest sound to gut strings we have heard. Made in Italy. Gauge, 1st to 4th, about 0238, 0298, 0358, 0253 inches.

When I was still using Aquilas, I actually preferred the concert strings on my soprano Kamakas - the tension was slightly higher and the tone was brighter and more bell-like, with longer sustain. You should be fine with these, and might even prefer them!

I feel safe, now, to go ahead and have them put the concert Aquilas on the soprano, I was afraid if they were heavier they might harm the instrument. I'm also heartened by the fact I might even like the sound of the concert strings better. I think, however, I'll go ahead and order a set of soprano strings just to have them and since they're a different gauge.

No store I've contacted here has soprano strings in stock!! (edit: I take that back, I just called Dusty Strings and they have the Soprano. They are very knowledgeable too, knew the gauges were slightly different - while two other stores told me they weren't!)

Thanks for all the help.
Denise

Last edited:
If you get Aquilas in sufficient quantity to get free shipping, I believe Elderly beats everyone

Putting concert Aquilas on a soprano will not harm the instrument. Some people prefer them.

John Colter.

Nobody has made the obvious comment................you are buying a uke to use while your first uke is in transit, which will then offically make the one from HMS your second uke.

This is awesome, you will fit right in around here. A regular trooper I say and a big "bravo" for starting out with two ukes. I have been playing for 5 months and have 6 ukes, I fully expect you to pass me in short order.

Last edited:
;) Yes, I have UAS and only know how to play one three chord song! I've already got my eye on my third uke, but will savor my HMS slothead (when it gets here) for some time first.

I ended up with a Kala KA-S today, and now can bear the wait until my HMS uke comes. I am happy...

;) Yes, I have UAS and only know how to play one three chord song! I've already got my eye on my third uke, but will savor my HMS slothead (when it gets here) for some time first.

I ended up with a Kala KA-S today, and now can bear the wait until my HMS uke comes. I am happy...
How long to you expect it to take to get your uke from HMS.

I don't know how long it will take. I ordered it last Saturday, and we had a few emails and one call back and forth about the setup...me with first timer jitters and ignorance. They were wonderful and very helpful, and very patient! I didn't even want to ask about time frame. I ordered their hard case to keep the KA-KCG in, my KA-S will hang on my wall (I think).

I did the same thing - bought a ukulele to tide me over until my order came in from HMS:D

I'm ahead of you, the Kala KA-S I bought today was at Dusty Strings!!! I have to admit, I was looking at and playing with a number of their other ukes hanging on the wall. :eek:

Top Bottom