Risa solid Tenor Cherry Sunburst - Opinions?

I looked at that a while ago then came across a Vorson Les Paul style for $120 US (who also makes Strat and Tele style), might be a cost effective alternative. http://www.zzounds.com/item--VORFLPUK2

I got a Telecaster style for $140 US and like it a lot, but I changed the strings to flat wound heavier, still have to make a sound sample video.

Tele uke.jpg

Last edited:
I really like my Teton tenor and concert. Light, fast necks, good electronics.

I'm sure the Vorzon is nice but the photos of the Risa look better. I suspect the electronics are better too

Risa electric ukuleles totally kick ass.
I've owned just about every Risa electric there is (including both the Soprano and Tenor Les Pauls, single-coils and all sizes of the Risa uke-stick).

Risa is for the electric player who want the best and won't settle for less.
If you can afford it, you won't regret!

The carpeted back is not for me.
BSG can make you a more "normal" one too. It would cost a little more but probably still a lot less than the Risa. If you have something specific in mind, give Bruce a call. You might be surprised what he can do for reasonable cost (not "cheap" - for that go Vorzon, but yah get what you pay for).

John, what features do you want in a steel string uke? I was considering a RISA last spring, but got a nice Monkey Wrench instead for about the same $. I've got no regrets.

John, what features do you want in a steel string uke? I was considering a RISA last spring, but got a nice Monkey Wrench instead for about the same $. I've got no regrets.

That Monkey Wrench looks and sounds nice. The Risa archtop and finish just looks "too cool for school" in comparison. I'm not sure I'll get one yet but nthink if I'm going to get a steel string uke, that's the direction I'm going.

Risa Les Pauls are extremely nice, quality instruments. All of their components are high quality and the workmanship is excellent. I would stay away from the Asian imports as most all of them are simply "cheesy" pieces of junk thrown together, poor electronics, bad fretwork, cheap tuners, plywood bodies...you get the point.

I think the thing that might stop me is that I can buy an awful nice Les Paul guitar for less than the LP ukes from Risa. That happened with my solid body UBass. After I bought it I realized I could have gotten a real bass guitar for less.

I think the thing that might stop me is that I can buy an awful nice Les Paul guitar for less than the LP ukes from Risa. That happened with my solid body UBass. After I bought it I realized I could have gotten a real bass guitar for less.
Maybe, but, hmm, how do I say this nicely, that completely misses the point of a steel string uke. Or a UBass for that matter. The point of either is that it is a uke, not a guitar or a bass, with all the pros and cons of uke-dom intact.

Risa Lp is a real high quality german made. probably on of the highest quality electric steel string in the market.

My UAS is gnawing away at me again. Now the Cherry sunburst is out of stock at the few US dealers I have been able to identify. The lack of availability has got me highly triggered.

I flipped a coin and George Washington has informed me that the one that is available, with the tobacco finish, is not acceptable. Now I'll have to wait until one of the US dealers restocks or a used one appears.

Last edited:
I just pulled the trigger and ordered direct from the factory. It should ship in October.

The factory messaged me that production will be delayed and shipping won't happen till November. I decided to cancel the order and troll for used ones or wait till Spring instead.

Superficially, the Risa is damn sexy! I had never heard of them before. And I had to do the whole waiting "patiently" thing and November is not so bad...

I have a Mya-Moe resonator on order for a year that will be arriving in November. That makes waiting till Spring for the Risa OK. Unless a nice used one pops up somewhere, I should be OK with delaying this acquisition.

Top Bottom