PDA

View Full Version : Risa solid Tenor Cherry Sunburst - Opinions?

Cornfield
09-05-2014, 06:31 AM
I'm thinking about getting one of these. They are steel stringed and look like little Les Paul guitars. What opinions or experience do you have to share on these?

I'm basing my choice of this so far totally on kick ass good looks.

https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/de/de-RISA-LP-Tenor-cherry-sunburst

kohanmike
09-05-2014, 07:23 AM
I looked at that a while ago then came across a Vorson Les Paul style for $120 US (who also makes Strat and Tele style), might be a cost effective alternative. http://www.zzounds.com/item--VORFLPUK2

I got a Telecaster style for $140 US and like it a lot, but I changed the strings to flat wound heavier, still have to make a sound sample video.

http://www.fairfax67.com/images/Tele uke.jpg

Kimosabe
09-05-2014, 08:41 AM
I really like my Teton tenor and concert. Light, fast necks, good electronics.

Cornfield
09-05-2014, 09:20 AM
I'm sure the Vorzon is nice but the photos of the Risa look better. I suspect the electronics are better too

Jim Hanks
09-05-2014, 12:04 PM
Be sure to check out the Blue Star Guitar Konblaster too:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97040-NUD-Blue-Star-Konablaster-Short-Scale-Baritone

Mighty good for half the price of a Risa - even a custom tenor (or baritone) scale. As long as you like quirky good looks. :P

kissing
09-05-2014, 12:13 PM
Risa electric ukuleles totally kick ass.
I've owned just about every Risa electric there is (including both the Soprano and Tenor Les Pauls, single-coils and all sizes of the Risa uke-stick).

Risa is for the electric player who want the best and won't settle for less.
If you can afford it, you won't regret!

Cornfield
09-05-2014, 12:26 PM
Be sure to check out the Blue Star Guitar Konblaster too:
http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97040-NUD-Blue-Star-Konablaster-Short-Scale-Baritone

Mighty good for half the price of a Risa - even a custom tenor (or baritone) scale. As long as you like quirky good looks. :P

The carpeted back is not for me.

Jim Hanks
09-05-2014, 12:57 PM
The carpeted back is not for me.
BSG can make you a more "normal" one too. It would cost a little more but probably still a lot less than the Risa. If you have something specific in mind, give Bruce a call. You might be surprised what he can do for reasonable cost (not "cheap" - for that go Vorzon, but yah get what you pay for).

Jim Hanks
09-05-2014, 01:03 PM
Of course, if you're comfortable spending for a Risa, you should look at Monkey Wrench too : http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?97470-Monkey-Wrench-Long-Scale-Tenor-steel-string-electric

Doc_J
09-05-2014, 02:03 PM
John, what features do you want in a steel string uke? I was considering a RISA last spring, but got a nice Monkey Wrench instead for about the same $. I've got no regrets.

Cornfield
09-06-2014, 01:55 AM
John, what features do you want in a steel string uke? I was considering a RISA last spring, but got a nice Monkey Wrench instead for about the same $. I've got no regrets.

That Monkey Wrench looks and sounds nice. The Risa archtop and finish just looks "too cool for school" in comparison. I'm not sure I'll get one yet but nthink if I'm going to get a steel string uke, that's the direction I'm going.

WhenDogsSing
09-06-2014, 02:06 AM
Risa Les Pauls are extremely nice, quality instruments. All of their components are high quality and the workmanship is excellent. I would stay away from the Asian imports as most all of them are simply "cheesy" pieces of junk thrown together, poor electronics, bad fretwork, cheap tuners, plywood bodies...you get the point.

Cornfield
09-06-2014, 04:34 AM
I think the thing that might stop me is that I can buy an awful nice Les Paul guitar for less than the LP ukes from Risa. That happened with my solid body UBass. After I bought it I realized I could have gotten a real bass guitar for less.

Jim Hanks
09-06-2014, 04:59 AM
I think the thing that might stop me is that I can buy an awful nice Les Paul guitar for less than the LP ukes from Risa. That happened with my solid body UBass. After I bought it I realized I could have gotten a real bass guitar for less.
Maybe, but, hmm, how do I say this nicely, that completely misses the point of a steel string uke. Or a UBass for that matter. The point of either is that it is a uke, not a guitar or a bass, with all the pros and cons of uke-dom intact.

tangimango
09-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Risa Lp is a real high quality german made. probably on of the highest quality electric steel string in the market.

Cornfield
09-17-2014, 09:48 AM
My UAS is gnawing away at me again. Now the Cherry sunburst is out of stock at the few US dealers I have been able to identify. The lack of availability has got me highly triggered.

I flipped a coin and George Washington has informed me that the one that is available, with the tobacco finish, is not acceptable. Now I'll have to wait until one of the US dealers restocks or a used one appears.

Cornfield
09-17-2014, 10:55 AM
I just pulled the trigger and ordered direct from the factory. It should ship in October.

Cornfield
09-18-2014, 02:08 AM
The factory messaged me that production will be delayed and shipping won't happen till November. I decided to cancel the order and troll for used ones or wait till Spring instead.

KaijuEmily
09-18-2014, 05:16 AM
Superficially, the Risa is damn sexy! I had never heard of them before. And I had to do the whole waiting "patiently" thing and November is not so bad...

Cornfield
09-18-2014, 06:14 AM
I have a Mya-Moe resonator on order for a year that will be arriving in November. That makes waiting till Spring for the Risa OK. Unless a nice used one pops up somewhere, I should be OK with delaying this acquisition.

Skinny Money McGee
09-18-2014, 07:35 AM
I have a Mya-Moe resonator on order for a year that will be arriving in November. That makes waiting till Spring for the Risa OK. Unless a nice used one pops up somewhere, I should be OK with delaying this acquisition.

Sounds awesome. I put in for a MM reso too. Make sure you post picts!

Cornfield
09-18-2014, 08:03 AM
Sounds awesome. I put in for a MM reso too. Make sure you post picts!

Here's what they have so far

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=1513&submit=Track

When it is finished it will be a tenor that should look something like #642

http://www.myamoeukuleles.com/uketracker.php?trackingNumber=642&submit=Track

Dan Uke
09-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Risa Les Pauls are extremely nice, quality instruments. All of their components are high quality and the workmanship is excellent. I would stay away from the Asian imports as most all of them are simply "cheesy" pieces of junk thrown together, poor electronics, bad fretwork, cheap tuners, plywood bodies...you get the point.

I trust WDS and his opinion of steel string ukes as he's bought and sold a few. Secondly, he knows how to play an electric uke vs. someone like who plays the same thing but amplified.

JupeyWoopey
09-18-2014, 10:05 AM
i'm lucky enough to own one. It is a thing of beauty. Craftsmanship is spot on. I fall in love with it more and more each day. While steel string electric ukes aren't every ones cup of tea, I wouldn't be without it now. It has enabled me to become the face melting, shredding rock god I always wanted to be as a kid. :rock::music:
Yes there are cheaper ones out there but when it comes down to it....you get what you pay for. I cant recommend them enough. Even my guitar playing friends adore it. They do pop up on selling sites every now and then. good luck.

Cornfield
10-13-2014, 08:45 AM
It's still ben on my mind. I went ahead and re-placed my order this AM. It should arrive sometime in November. My Christmas gift to myself.

Cornfield
10-16-2014, 02:58 AM
I just got an email from Risa that the airplane they expected to produce and ship in November has been completed and will ship in the next two days. Now I'll have to get myself something else for Christmas.

Jim Hanks
10-16-2014, 03:12 AM
airplane? :confused:

Cornfield
10-16-2014, 03:43 AM
airplane? :confused:

Actually, I have been selling several of my air planes this week. The Radio Control kind. In 2010 or 11 I realized that I was spending an awful lot of time trying to repair my model airplanes. For every minute of flight time, I was spending a couple hours of repair work. Turns out that I was just buying planes that were too advanced for me.
I'm flying basic trainers again, with my 8 yr old grandson.

The ones I'm selling have never been flown but were designed for 3D flight, which is way beyond my pay grade.

I sold this one yesterday and need to find a box to ship it in.

Olarte
10-16-2014, 03:44 AM
Well, I have both the LP and the Beanshaped one, and they are pretty similar, so if you want to save a few bucks and like the aesthetics of the bean one that might be an alternative.

For me to be honest, they are both beautiful pieces of craftmanship, in fact all their ukes are.

So if you are set on their LP it is well worth the wait!. You can also try http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/imported-ukuleles?product_id=270&sort=p.model&order=ASC=ASC they have a tobacco one.

and of course these popup here in the marketplace once in a while... that's how I found the Risa sticks and the bean one. Love them all. would never sell them. they are that good.

Cornfield
10-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Well, I have both the LP and the Beanshaped one, and they are pretty similar, so if you want to save a few bucks and like the aesthetics of the bean one that might be an alternative.

For me to be honest, they are both beautiful pieces of craftmanship, in fact all their ukes are.

So if you are set on their LP it is well worth the wait!. You can also try http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/imported-ukuleles?product_id=270&sort=p.model&order=ASC=ASC they have a tobacco one.

and of course these popup here in the marketplace once in a while... that's how I found the Risa sticks and the bean one. Love them all. would never sell them. they are that good.

I've had my heart set on the Cherry Sunburst LP for a couple of months. Right now with the Eur to $ exchange rate, I am getting a brand new uke shipped to me in the US for $690.
I wasn't expecting to pay so little but I'll gladly take it.

Olarte
10-16-2014, 04:29 AM
WOw great price indeed? I hope it's a tenor, can't go wrong with it. you'll love it.

Here are my two electric babies!

Cornfield
10-16-2014, 06:21 AM
I have triple checked ti make sure it is a tenor.

Cornfield
10-21-2014, 10:57 AM
It arrived today. Amazing how fast it was delivered. It is incredible to look at, hold and play. This is not just "another" ukulele.

Liquidayno
10-22-2014, 10:08 AM
Can someone with a Risa Les Paul Tenor uke measure the bridge saddles size and spacing? I want to see if Graphtech piezo saddles will fit.

I need the dimensions of how wide each saddle is, and string spacing from outside g string to outside a string.

Thanks!

kissing
10-22-2014, 01:46 PM
Can someone with a Risa Les Paul Tenor uke measure the bridge saddles size and spacing? I want to see if Graphtech piezo saddles will fit.

I need the dimensions of how wide each saddle is, and string spacing from outside g string to outside a string.

Thanks!

Why not message Rick Sauer at Risa?
As he designs and distributes the ukes, he should be most informative on whether certain things will work

Liquidayno
10-22-2014, 03:51 PM
I asked Rigk, but he wouldn't tell me. It is not a proprietary measurement as anyone can measure them, but he is concerned about someone copying his ukes.

Anyone have one they can measure for me?

Liquidayno
10-23-2014, 05:27 AM
Rigk was kind enough to provide the vital measurement for me:

"Width of 0.410" (10,41 mm)"

That is the saddle size of a 2 1/16" Strat style spacing.

Cornfield
10-23-2014, 05:48 AM
I played my new Risa at a folk music sing around last night. I have a battery powered Roland Street Cube to play it through. Everybody was impressed with the sound. The switch to choose pickups is not in the best place as I flipped it accidentally while playing. (I'll need to work on the hand positions)

Cornfield
11-03-2014, 03:23 AM
I finally got my credit card bill. I ordered this direct from the Risa web site (https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/index?x6d44e=f1ll5n1ue9b54vn6jg193fgur5).
My final cost was 538.36 Euro (in the US we don't have to pay the VAT)
My credit card company charges a "foreign fee" so the total US cost was $684.04

While this is more expensive than some of the other steel string choices out there, I feel like it is worth it.
It has two high quality humbucker pickups that are made for this ukulele (imho other brands pickups just aren't that nice) . The archtop is great to hold and see ( others have a flat top). The finish is beautiful, it looks like a real LP not like a "LP inspired" instrument. The tuners work properly. The fret work is correct. It came out of the box, ready to play.

Why not buy a cheaper uke and upgrade it to Risa standards? I had previously bought a Chinese metal resonator uke and then upgraded the tuners, biscuit, bridge, pickup and had a good setup performed. When I was done, it sounded better than it did at the start but it still wasn't up to the standards established by National. I didn't want to repeat that experience with a solid body uke.

greenie44
11-03-2014, 04:21 AM
I finally got my credit card bill. I ordered this direct from the Risa web site (https://www.ukulele.de/shop4/en/index?x6d44e=f1ll5n1ue9b54vn6jg193fgur5).
My final cost was 538.36 Euro (in the US we don't have to pay the VAT)
My credit card company charges a "foreign fee" so the total US cost was $684.04

While this is more expensive than some of the other steel string choices out there, I feel like it is worth it.
It has two high quality humbucker pickups that are made for this ukulele (imho other brands pickups just aren't that nice) . The archtop is great to hold and see ( others have a flat top). The finish is beautiful, it looks like a real LP not like a "LP inspired" instrument. The tuners work properly. The fret work is correct. It came out of the box, ready to play.

Why not buy a cheaper uke and upgrade it to Risa standards? I had previously bought a Chinese metal resonator uke and then upgraded the tuners, biscuit, bridge, pickup and had a good setup performed. When I was done, it sounded better than it did at the start but it still wasn't up to the standards established by National. I didn't want to repeat that experience with a solid body uke.

Thanks, John, for a very well reasoned argument. I was one of the folks who were part of the bulk buy from China for a faux Kamoa, and you are pretty much spot on, but I would add one thing. The uke I bought started out as much less than a Kamoa - less than half the price. I played it for a while and then a luthier improved it significantly for a bit more. I still ended up about 20% cheaper than a Kamoa, all in. And I was able to find out if I liked a steel string electric uke for a lower entry point.

I do like the uke, and I might eventually save up enough to get a Risa LP. But until then, I'm happily playing away on my Alida.

the_real_dave-id
11-06-2014, 12:01 PM
I also own a RISA LP Tenor electric and can't say enough great things about it. I started with their bean shaped model and this is definitely an upgrade from there. The pickups are tremendous, the look and feel of the instrument are truly beautiful things. I love playing my acoustic ukes, and making what some think of as the "ukulele sound" but sometimes being able to turn it up and jam through some pedals for a totally electric sound is the only thing that'll cure what ails me!

Markyboy
06-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Can anyone recommend a string set up for a RISA Lp soprano please?

Cornfield
06-09-2015, 01:13 PM
Can anyone recommend a string set up for a RISA Lp soprano please?

Look on Risa web site www.ukulele.de They list strings there