Andrew and The Ukulele Site lands a TODA

Wow, great looking and sounding. Wonder if they'll be doing a concert size.

sold it in a day.....
just Corey and Andrew got to play it....:)

No surprise is sold so quickly. What a luscious sounding uke!

How much did the TODA tenor sell for? It looked like an exceptional Ukulele.

I saw the Toda today at Andrew's office....did not ask how much it sold for...did not play it but the build quality top notch.....
sold to someone in the US....Midwest......:)

The TODA looks exceptional.

I own an Asturias, very similar to the one on the HMS page now, and it is the best overall instrument that I have ever owned for intonation, build and finish (gloss). It's impeccable. Even the wide bridge is glossed and a jewel of craftsmanship. Not one missed joint. Not one imperfection. Very open sounding (as opposed to Kiwayas, that I've always found tighter, with less resonance). It is so sweetly toned...and I could hear the chime of its unique sound even in HMS's video. Here's the one just like it now. The sound of mine is just like this one that Corey is playing. It's unique and hard to describe. It sounds nothing like my Martins.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/asturias-solo-soprano-concert-scale-cedar-pao-rosewood.html

Straight from the island of Kyushu, it's one of the highly uncommon small-bodied ukes with a cutaway design. And, yes, it plays and intones well even in the cut. It's also uncommon to find a small-bodied uke, with the sound only a soprano body can provide, that has a wide tie-bridge, and that has topwood that differs from the body wood (mine is spruce, the one at HMS now is cedar). I love mine, particularly for finger-picking as the sound is very delicate, yet not muted; nuanced and clean. I think it best for high G, and best as a solo instrument rather than a group strumfest. It's lightly built and I can't imagine putting a pickup in it. I splurged and Andrew's team upgrade mine to Gotoh UPT tuners as my personal preference is no ears of geared tuners, and it was worthwhile--they did an amazing job on my supersoprano.
http://www.asturias.jp/about/?lang=en

I have no clue how it compares to TODA, only that it's lovely. Asturias. I wished to mention it here for anyone considering the TODA, but with an earthly budget and who desires a rare piece of heaven from Japan. Thanks.

Last edited:
I just got one! But i'm selling it on the marketplace because I just got a Moore Bettah this week and a Grimes next week. This is a good chance for one of you to get to try it if you're interested.

I just got one! But i'm selling it on the marketplace because I just got a Moore Bettah this week and a Grimes next week. This is a good chance for one of you to get to try it if you're interested.

Congrats on two amazing acquisitions. Look forward to your reviews of them. What are the specifics of the Toda you're selling?

Steve, you hoarder you!

The TODA looks exceptional.

I own an Asturias, very similar to the one on the HMS page now, and it is the best overall instrument that I have ever owned for intonation, build and finish (gloss). It's impeccable. Even the wide bridge is glossed and a jewel of craftsmanship. Not one missed joint. Not one imperfection. Very open sounding (as opposed to Kiwayas, that I've always found tighter, with less resonance). It is so sweetly toned...and I could hear the chime of its unique sound even in HMS's video. Here's the one just like it now. The sound of mine is just like this one that Corey is playing. It's unique and hard to describe. It sounds nothing like my Martins.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/asturias-solo-soprano-concert-scale-cedar-pao-rosewood.html

Straight from the island of Kyushu, it's one of the highly uncommon small-bodied ukes with a cutaway design. And, yes, it plays and intones well even in the cut. It's also uncommon to find a small-bodied uke, with the sound only a soprano body can provide, that has a wide tie-bridge, and that has topwood that differs from the body wood (mine is spruce, the one at HMS now is cedar). I love mine, particularly for finger-picking as the sound is very delicate, yet not muted; nuanced and clean. I think it best for high G, and best as a solo instrument rather than a group strumfest. It's lightly built and I can't imagine putting a pickup in it. I splurged and Andrew's team upgrade mine to Gotoh UPT tuners as my personal preference is no ears of geared tuners, and it was worthwhile--they did an amazing job on my supersoprano.
http://www.asturias.jp/about/?lang=en

I have no clue how it compares to TODA, only that it's lovely. Asturias. I wished to mention it here for anyone considering the TODA, but with an earthly budget and who desires a rare piece of heaven from Japan. Thanks.

I was wondering if you still had it and were happy with it.

Congrats on two amazing acquisitions. Look forward to your reviews of them. What are the specifics of the Toda you're selling?

The Toda is awesome. African Blackwood back and sides, spruce top, tenor, cutaway, slotted headstock, custom rosette and fret markers. Just a beautiful beautiful instrument

The Toda is awesome. African Blackwood back and sides, spruce top, tenor, cutaway, slotted headstock, custom rosette and fret markers. Just a beautiful beautiful instrument

Wow, that was a quick sale. Visually, the Toda is beautiful!

Wow, that was a quick sale. Visually, the Toda is beautiful!

I feel very lucky that I got to try a Toda. The builder is very talented and I loved the uke. The only problem is that Chuck Moore has god-like abilities, and the MBU came one day later.

the TODA is Beautiful! Curse you Coolkayaker1, I had to check out the Asturius you mentioned, didn't I? Which led me to find the I'iwi. I was going to get another Kanilea, but now...

There appears to be a japanese site that has some of these ukuleles in stock... example:

http://translate.google.com/transla.../www.dolphin-gt.co.jp/stock/3365/&prev=search

ETA: The link above takes you to a Toda guitar for some reason, but you can use the translated link to search their stock for Toda instruments and pull up some ukuleles. The concert I saw in stock was 214,000 yen, about $1,800 according to the almighty Google.

Top Bottom