"problem"*with Kala Reds (tenor)

bobinde

Reaction score
I recently changed the strings on my KPK Acacia tenor, the Worths were doing fine, sounded great, but I noticed several nicks in them. So, playing it safe, I went off to my LMS. All they had were Aquilas (concert & soprano, no tenor), Martins (same problem) and Kala Reds. So, I got the Reds.

All of a sudden, my uke sounded "dead," no punch, minimal sustain and an overall "flat" sound. And now, three weeks later, they still won't hold tune. And yes, I made sure the tuners were tight.

As a "sort" of comparison, my KPK Pineapple (also acacia) still has the Worths and sounds pretty durn good, stays in tune over several weeks of minimal use.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

bobinde

As far as strings that keep slipping, you might need to stretch your Kala Reds as per this video for Aquila Reds:How to install Aquila Reds.

If you don't like the tone of one brand on your uke, just get what you like. It is all personal preference. Those strings might sound just right on another uke.

I have Kala reds on my Harmony uke - they sound fine, but I also know the old heavy birch uke isn't going to be very dynamic, so I don't expect it.

I'd stick with Fluorocarbon strings on that KPK - Worth, Southcoast (have them on my Donaldson right now - I love the sound!), or Martin. The Kalas are, I think, nylon, and acacia needs something other than nylon strings.

-Kurt​

I have Kala reds on my Harmony uke - they sound fine, but I also know the old heavy birch uke isn't going to be very dynamic, so I don't expect it.

I'd stick with Fluorocarbon strings on that KPK - Worth, Southcoast (have them on my Donaldson right now - I love the sound!), or Martin. The Kalas are, I think, nylon, and acacia needs something other than nylon strings.

-Kurt​

Thanks, I will be stopping & getting a set of Aquilas (they are the only fluorocarbons available around here) when I get my Social Security check on Wednesday.

This Fixed Income stuff gets a bit frustrating, especially when I'm trying to save to go see my stepdaughter & her husband in Hawaii in April.

Oh well, it's an imperfect world. (shouldn't type when I'm drinking)

Anyway, thanks for the advice & recommendations!

Mahalo

bobinde

Don't be afraid to go mail-order or buy on-line.

Elderly, Uke Republic, Southcoast Ukes, Just Strings, Ukulele World, HMS, and, I think, Mim... All have many strings, and many price points.

Several have the advantage of being UU members, as well. Most of them you can call and discuss your needs, and they will suggest appropriate strings.

And get that SS check as Direct Deposit, if you don't already! That's the first thing I set up with my pension check when I retired!

I know all about the whole Fixed Income thing...

-Kurt

OK. Stopped by my LMS, picked up a set of Aquilas for Tenor - they FINALLY got them in stock - and installed them. They sound even better than the Worths. A bit "barky," but that's what I like, personally.

bobinde

2 Days later . . . The strings seem to be settled in, stay in tune overnight and just needed a little tweaking this morning. The tone is a bit better, now has lots of sustain.

Kurt, thanks for the suggestion!!

bobinde

Top Bottom