Four Houses, Four 'Ukers

Peterjens

Reaction score
I normally play my 'uke indoors for a number of reasons - but mainly because I don't want to bother the neighbors in our high-density subdivision. And I'm retired and usually play during the day when my neighbors are working. But last night, I went out on the front porch with 'uke in hand to practice some light strumming. Halfway through Blue Hawaii, I hear my neighbor (two doors down on the left) tell her husband, "I hear a 'ukulele. I have to go see." Spring (my neighbor from Oahu) brings her four year-old son, Devon, with her and we start to talk about 'ukuleles. Spring's husband bought her a nice Ohana concert (with a cutaway) a year ago so she could learn to play but she never followed through because it was "too hard to get lessons." I jokingly said, "I thought 'ukulele was required in school in Hawaii." She said not in her school. She was looking for a 'uke for her boy and I said he could have my first 'uke. I gave him my Lanakai. He was shy at first but then started to strum it. I showed Spring some chords on her Ohana and made an arrangement to meet later on for some more lessons.

As were were chatting, the next door neighbor (on the right) happened to come outside and noticed us standing with the 'ukuleles and said her son plays one also. So in the space of four houses, there are four 'ukers - counting Devon. Maybe from now on there will be more 'uke playing on the front porches.

Great story, if the people on my lane played instruments in an evening, I would never be in the house!! Good luck with the new band !!!!

Fantastic anecdote! Thanks for sharing.

Well done.

That's exactly how I imagine a neighborhood should be.

I normally play my 'uke indoors for a number of reasons - but mainly because I don't want to bother the neighbors in our high-density subdivision. And I'm retired and usually play during the day when my neighbors are working. But last night, I went out on the front porch with 'uke in hand to practice some light strumming. Halfway through Blue Hawaii, I hear my neighbor (two doors down on the left) tell her husband, "I hear a 'ukulele. I have to go see." Spring (my neighbor from Oahu) brings her four year-old son, Devon, with her and we start to talk about 'ukuleles. Spring's husband bought her a nice Ohana concert (with a cutaway) a year ago so she could learn to play but she never followed through because it was "too hard to get lessons." I jokingly said, "I thought 'ukulele was required in school in Hawaii." She said not in her school. She was looking for a 'uke for her boy and I said he could have my first 'uke. I gave him my Lanakai. He was shy at first but then started to strum it. I showed Spring some chords on her Ohana and made an arrangement to meet later on for some more lessons.

As were were chatting, the next door neighbor (on the right) happened to come outside and noticed us standing with the 'ukuleles and said her son plays one also. So in the space of four houses, there are four 'ukers - counting Devon. Maybe from now on there will be more 'uke playing on the front porches.

That's just about as awesome as it gets. I'm glad you went out there.

Oh, yippee! Happy days ahead. Every one of you will now practice more because you have players to associate with.

Top Bottom