Staring me in the face !

Jools1050

Reaction score
Ever since buying my first uke more than a year ago, I've never really felt comfortable when playing. I always feel like the damn thing is ready to jump out of my hands and I am constantly struggling to find a balance point so that the head doesn't drop down. Then I usually press down so hard on the lower bout that I have a great big groove in my forearm where the edge stick in. The other night I remembered my "Ergo-play" that i sometimes use when playing classical guitar. I decided to try it on my uke and I'm so pleased I did. It has solved all my problems in one go! It has raised the uke to a much more comfortable position and it now supports itself on my leg. This leaves me free to just play !
image.jpgimage.jpg

Hey Jools, how's it going? Glad you found a solution. Enjoy!

Thanks! I have been wanting to get one, but didn't know what to put in the search line to find online.

I usually play sitting down and while raising one leg on a stool, It becomes tiring after a bit.

I'm not sure if they make one specifically for the uke , the model I have is for the classical guitar and has two suction cups to make up for the wider body of the guitar. It works just as good tho. I'm sure it will help you

I used to have the same problem. But I've notice that my new high gloss, slick finish Ukes stick to my bare beer belly pretty good all on their own. Sometimes a little spit helps.

That's using in the old noodle for more than a hat rack there Jools. Your wife didn't try and record you installing that did she, I need another good rant post my friend. I reverted to using a strap, works great and I have converted 4 others in our jam once they have seen how much easier it is to play when the instrument is supported. Play well.

I didn't even get into Rant territory !!! I felt like a bit of a faker due to the fact that much is made of the way we hold our Ukes . But I had to do it in order to free up my hands. I was putting more effort into clamping it in place than playing! I'm still s** at playing tho !!!

Thanks for the great idea. I have two, for lack of a better term, cushions/little pillows that were made to serve the same purpose for my classical guitar. I'll have to dig them out when I get home.

Am I just a complete sod ?

I really don't understand all these leashes and lean ons and lean to's ,strap ons (ooo'er) and other supportive constructs....I am not being dismissive or rude ..really ....I have carried and played a ukulele since I was 10 years old ....tell me ..am I playing it wrong ..cos' I have no problem with holding it, and playing it unaided ...(I do prefer to play sat down but can hold a uke and a banjuke stood up)

Lads and Lasses ...I am not scoffing ...I am just curious.......................................................honest ...not being a dick ....curious......

Ah yes you mean the dynerette. I was tempted to get one myself but went with the Ergoplay.

Yes! That's it. I have a terrible time holding the uke steady even with a strap, and I've probably tried them all. If the Dynarette doesn't help, I'll order an Ergoplay. Thanks again.

Am I just a complete sod ?

I really don't understand all these leashes and lean ons and lean to's ,strap ons (ooo'er) and other supportive constructs....I am not being dismissive or rude ..really ....I have carried and played a ukulele since I was 10 years old ....tell me ..am I playing it wrong ..cos' I have no problem with holding it, and playing it unaided ...(I do prefer to play sat down but can hold a uke and a banjuke stood up)

Lads and Lasses ...I am not scoffing ...I am just curious.......................................................honest ...not being a dick ....curious......
Hi CeeJay, I'll try to explain my exact problem. When I try to play my uke with the lower bout resting on my right thigh, I have to press down with my forearm in order to kinda clamp it in place. This put tension in my forearm muscles and restricts the movement in my picking hand. If I'm just doing a bit of strumming, I can manage ok, but when I'm picking something a little more complex that requires more emphasis on some notes and less on others, I just can't manage it. Like you, I'm ok if I'm playing with the uke on my knee, as you would play a guitar, but when playing much further up the neck, my left hand is not at the right angle. I truly envy people like you who can play while performing backflips and holding one hand behind your back. But for me, holding the uke conventionally just doesn't work. The other problem I have is - when moving from say, one chord on the lower frets to a chord further up the neck, I find I'm using my hand as a support while I slide it up the neck. This robs me of the speed and accuracy I need to play fluently. ( hope your still awake ? ) so that's it !! Perhaps I'm just not skilled enough and need help to get the uke in the right position. Each to his or her own eh? Whatever works is all good.

Hi CeeJay, I'll try to explain my exact problem. When I try to play my uke with the lower bout resting on my right thigh, I have to press down with my forearm in order to kinda clamp it in place. This put tension in my forearm muscles and restricts the movement in my picking hand. If I'm just doing a bit of strumming, I can manage ok, but when I'm picking something a little more complex that requires more emphasis on some notes and less on others, I just can't manage it. Like you, I'm ok if I'm playing with the uke on my knee, as you would play a guitar, but when playing much further up the neck, my left hand is not at the right angle. I truly envy people like you who can play while performing backflips and holding one hand behind your back. But for me, holding the uke conventionally just doesn't work. The other problem I have is - when moving from say, one chord on the lower frets to a chord further up the neck, I find I'm using my hand as a support while I slide it up the neck. This robs me of the speed and accuracy I need to play fluently. ( hope your still awake ? ) so that's it !! Perhaps I'm just not skilled enough and need help to get the uke in the right position. Each to his or her own eh? Whatever works is all good.

Well ..I have had to cut down on the backflips just lately ...but I have always found it fascinating that different people seem to have different problems with the uke . I must just be a lucky bugger ...and that's now tempting fate i'n't it ?

I am just a strummer and occasional melodious chord strum /picker, so maybe I do not get to ply the fretboard in the more complicated and convoluted ways that you advanced players do....good luck , any advantage to help playing ...is, well , an advantage ... and perhaps because I started the uke so early I became sort of uke shaped !!!

Cheers ...

I'm in agreement Bill. There's is on very big advantage to the Ergoplay that I haven't mentioned yet. Because the Ergoplay allows me to lightly rest the uke against my body, it's much more resonant! It's worth it just for that reason alone !!

I have to say that the traditional forearm across the uke body does damp the sound and resonance of the little feller....I did not realise this until recently trying Petey Houdini 's figure of 8 strum thingy ...you have to hold the uke by the neck and release it at the forearm ...and BANG it went much more resonant ...so fair play ...but I still don't like straps !!! Grrr but LOL grrrr.....

I used to do solo shows and never used a strap or support. I'd play sitting, standing, walking around... Now, I can't imagine how I did it. I use a strap whenever I stand, these days.
In fact, now that I play primarily classical style, I find myself struggling at times with sitting position. I'm blaming it on age and , uh I forget what else.

I like those cheap ones with the plastic hook that goes around the bottom of the uke and attaches to the sound hole. I have one and use it sometimes.

Top Bottom