PDA

View Full Version : Season 134 - "Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy"

librainian
09-06-2014, 01:55 PM
Greetings fellow Seasonista’s and welcome to Season 134, entitled “Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy” This is of course one famously wrong interpretation of a lyric from the Jimi Hendrix classic “Purple Haze” I think you know where I am going with this.

All of us must have some famous song where we misheard the lyrics and perhaps learned much later what the actual lyric was. Rock singers in particular are notoriously bad at enunciation, but poor diction is rampant throughout all genres of music. Your mission this week is to share one or more of these amusing misinterpretations with us, preferably with an amusing anecdote.

**IMPORTANT**
You don’t have to PLAY the song with the incorrect lyrics! Just include the misheard lyric(s) in your UU post or description. If you DO want to use the incorrect lyrics for comic effect, go for it!

If this has never happened to you, first off - WOW you have amazing powers of concentration and excellent hearing. If so, then you may choose any song from a website like this one!

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

RULES
I selected this theme because of its inclusive nature. Any genre (except instrumental of course) would work for this season. Multitracks are fine. I am looking for the best combination of creativity in your arrangement, playing, singing and style. Please keep your uke front and center, mention the season somewhere in your video etc.

Only three official entries per person please. I will comment and score on up to three vids from each of you to go on the official playlist. I will assume each entry you submit is official unless you specifically state it is a bonus. Bonus songs I will put on a separate playlist and I may, or may not comment on these as time allows.

Official go time is 12:01 am Sunday 9/7 and ends at the traditional 11:59:59 PM Hawaii time the following Sunday.

SCORING
Each of you will get one combined score comprised from the categories I mentioned. This means you can spend most of your time on one killer video or spread your efforts on more. If you do post multiple entries, you keep your BEST score in each category from all your videos. I will not be posting scores, just announcing the winners.

In the likely event of a tie score I will probably go with the most amusing anecdote or lyric as the tie breaker so make ‘em funny!

PRIZES
I will be picking 3 winners, 1st place gets first pick from these two lovely 50’s era Harmony ukes in a new polyfoam case. 2nd place gets the other other uke, and third place will receive an Amazon gift code for $20 towards strings or whatever else floats your boat. These Harmony’s are the typical birch construction with the molded fretboard and plastic friction tuners. The dark one is a bit louder than the lighter one, which has a sweet and mellow sound. Like most vintage Harmony’s these sound better tuned to ADF#B. They did not intonate well with standard GCEA tuning.
This will be my first time hosting so I will do my best to hold up the high standard established by previous hosts. Have fun!

Official Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV87R5ThRVKh8NbnPCeLo_vHd0YJrLg76

Bonus Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV87R5ThRVKiuoN9XwieS7hOqZKsXkGmh

Hilarious Mondegreen Parodies
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV87R5ThRVKjajCO6KfDkt8-S6IWNreRQ

bird's eye view of my ukelele
09-06-2014, 02:08 PM
o

m

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

super generous prize alert SUPER GENEROUS PRIZE ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and...

what a great theme!!!!!!!!!!

the funny thing is, i had a misheard lyrics problem with one of my own songs this week! one of my own homemade song-type-things - "ain't she sweet (she's so sweet yeah)" for myrna's season - so it cannot be said i didn't KNOW the lyric, for heaven's sake, i WROTE the lyric!

but despite the fact i wrote it as "she's so sweet yeah"

and sang it as "she's so sweet yeah"

i swear to goodness that on the last repeat (of about ooh a gazillion!) and on the very last line of the song

when i play the vid it sounds exactly like "she sells sweets yeah"

but then, you know........... maybe she does!

great theme andrew and super awesome prizes!

:bowdown:

peewee
09-06-2014, 03:08 PM
Great theme Andy, this happens to me all the time with songs for the season, where my idea of the lyrics is incorrect in some way. I usually like my version better of course and go with that...
for example, Aimee Mann's "31 Today" mentions

...Drinking Guiness in the afternoon
Seeking shelter in the black cocoon

I prefer

...Seeking shelter in the black lagoon

Dont you?

mattydee
09-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Got it! My wife and I each have a tune with a strange misheard lyric. Looking forward to it, Andrew! Right after I get something sweet n for Myrna.

Tootler
09-06-2014, 08:40 PM
In folk music there is a name for misheard lyrics. It's called a "Mondegreen".

It comes from an article by a folk lore scholar who published an article on the subject referring to someone who had misheard

"Laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen" :)

mythinformed
09-06-2014, 09:08 PM
Most of my entries contain wrong lyrics anyway mainly because I don't clean my glass lens enough (I'm as blind as a bat) and the auto scrolls moving too fast .........I usually leave the blips and slips in because If I do more than a couple of takes it becomes a chore and it loses the fun aspect for me.......and ........ummm......well .....I'm just lazy !! :p

Grand theme and exceptionally generous prizes you bring to us Andrew.

One of our best British comedians Peter Kay has covered this topic in his act (its hilarious)...........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2fVaHSISw

wee_ginga_yin
09-06-2014, 09:41 PM

I prefer

Dont you?

Since Guiness is black... then black lagoon is better... drowning your
sorrows in a black lagoon of beer.

pabrizzer
09-07-2014, 12:01 AM
OK - I don't remember correct or incorrect lyrics and the only one that came to mind was there's a bathroom to the right
Well the right is not my leaning and I have done that song before so I went on the www and found that Norwegian Wood gets a mention so that is the song I've done.
Beatles', "Norwegian Wood"
Misheard Lyrics:
I once hurt a girl, or should I say she once hurt me.
Original Lyrics:
I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me.

The Beatles', "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
Misheard Lyrics:
And when I awoke I was alone, whispered in foam
Original Lyrics:
And when I awoke I was alone, this bird had flown

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tyn8N2XKcrU
Just straight as it comes.

filipinouker
09-07-2014, 01:46 AM
One of our best British comedians Peter Kay has covered this topic in his act (its hilarious)...........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2fVaHSISw

I've had to use my inhaler as I watched that video - I was laughing out loud so much that I had an asthma attack!!! BRILLIANT! Thanks for sharing!

xommen
09-07-2014, 02:10 AM
This is a song that Bono wrote when his father passed away. I really like the song but never attempted it as I think his vocals are really great in the original. I had to go down two whole steps just to be able to sing this. And I totally have no idea what I am doing in the bridge, I should probably have listened to the original before recording. I actually came up with recording this song by following the link Andrew gave in the intro.
While reading the lyrics I realised I always sing:
It is you and I in the mirror, it is you and I go pick up the phone.
Where it should be:
It is you when I look in the mirror, It is you when I don't pick up the phone (which actually makes more sense ;)).

http://youtu.be/2hLuz2MAjsE

redpaul1
09-07-2014, 02:45 AM
Where it should be:
It is you when I look in the mirror, It is you when I don't pick up the phone (which actually makes more sense ;)).

Well, there's a bet with myself (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?100137-Season-133-Sweet-Stuff!!&p=1574362#post1574362) that I just lost... :)

wee_ginga_yin
09-07-2014, 03:10 AM
Big Joe Turner song that became a sanitised hit Bill Haley and his Comets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qh3z_CL1ivg

Barbablanca
09-07-2014, 03:18 AM
Without a doubt the best "Mondagreen" video ever is this one:

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c

librainian
09-07-2014, 03:27 AM
In folk music there is a name for misheard lyrics. It's called a "Mondegreen".

It comes from an article by a folk lore scholar who published an article on the subject referring to someone who had misheard

"Laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen" :)

Perfect! I knew this had been discussed before but I could not recall it! Many thanks Geoff, that's it exactly!

UkeFoote
09-07-2014, 03:47 AM
Misunderstood Song Lyric for Season (134) of the Ukulele. The Clash “White Riot” (or misheard as “Why Rye?” by YouTuber Samthelima - I put a link to his excellent video at bottom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVkC2RVxuig

actual lyrics on left (misheard lyrics in parentheses):

White riot - I want to riot (Why rye? I want a rye)
White riot - a riot of my own (Why rye? Arapahoe)

Black people gotta lot a problems (Pacman got a lot of brothers)
But they don't mind throwing a brick (but NATO buy your bridge)
White people go to school (why do people go to school)
Where they teach you how to be thick (for me to have lunatics)

An' everybody's doing (everybody’s gluing)
Just what they're told to (just forty four two)
An' nobody wants (now I want)
To go to jail! (to go to jail)

All the power's in the hands (all the power in the hags)
Of people rich enough to buy it (up the pole that’s enough to buy it)
While we walk the street (why would you want plastique?)
Too chicken to even try it (to kick it and to even fry it)

Everybody's doing (everybody do it)
Just what they're told to (just poke yourself sue)
Nobody wants (now Buddy wants)
To go to jail! (to grow a tail)

Are you taking over (I’m taking over)
Or are you taking orders? (or I’m taking honors)
Are you going backwards (fire going backwards)
Or are you going forwards? (an oreo in power)

here's a link to Sam's hilarious video animation of his misheard lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKEz4OvgWZo

KaraUkey
09-07-2014, 04:10 AM
Great theme.

I went to a song writing workshop the other day where the term mondegreen was explained to me as follows.

"a mondegreen is the term for misheard song lyrics that give rise to new words or meanings. Sylvia Wright coined the term in an essay for Harper’s in 1954, recounting a frequent mishearing of a lyric from “The Bonny Earl O’Moray” that she experienced as a child: “Laid him on the green,” to her young ear, became “Lady Mondegreen.” (Other frequently cited, if not quite current, mondegreens include, “Secret Asian man,” “Chicken to ride” and “ ’Scuse me while I kiss this guy.”

"I cornered a tramp" comes to mind, and the one my wife and I both remember from childhood "killed imself in a bar when he was only three, Davy, Davy Crocket, King of the wild frontier". Well, it made sense to a 4 year old.

librainian
09-07-2014, 04:51 AM
Great theme Andy, this happens to me all the time with songs for the season, where my idea of the lyrics is incorrect in some way. I usually like my version better of course and go with that...
for example, Aimee Mann's "31 Today" mentions

I prefer

Dont you?

I do PeeWee I do!!

Got it! My wife and I each have a tune with a strange misheard lyric. Looking forward to it, Andrew! Right after I get something sweet n for Myrna.

I'm glad you have something in mind right off the bat!

Most of my entries contain wrong lyrics anyway mainly because I don't clean my glass lens enough (I'm as blind as a bat) and the auto scrolls moving too fast .........I usually leave the blips and slips in because If I do more than a couple of takes it becomes a chore and it loses the fun aspect for me.......and ........ummm......well .....I'm just lazy !! :p

Grand theme and exceptionally generous prizes you bring to us Andrew.

Loved this! Thanks for getting us in the mood and some creative juices flowing here.

Enjoy!

That's outstanding! Joe Cocker is indeed a rich vein for misheard lyrics. Once you see the written mondegreens you can't even hear the original lyric if you ever could. Inspired!

Great theme.

I went to a song writing workshop the other day where the term mondegreen was explained to me as follows.

"a mondegreen is the term for misheard song lyrics that give rise to new words or meanings. Sylvia Wright coined the term in an essay for Harper’s in 1954, recounting a frequent mishearing of a lyric from “The Bonny Earl O’Moray” that she experienced as a child: “Laid him on the green,” to her young ear, became “Lady Mondegreen.” (Other frequently cited, if not quite current, mondegreens include, “Secret Asian man,” “Chicken to ride” and “ ’Scuse me while I kiss this guy.”

"I cornered a tramp" comes to mind, and the one my wife and I both remember from childhood "killed imself in a bar when he was only three, Davy, Davy Crocket, King of the wild frontier". Well, it made sense to a 4 year old.

I love the term and the examples. Thanks for adding to the hilarity!

GinnyT11
09-07-2014, 05:14 AM
Bravo, Andrew, for such a clever theme! It's brilliant.

09-07-2014, 05:25 AM
in the film "jumpin' jack flash" there is a scene where whoopi goldberg tries to decipher the lyrics of the song, thinking they contain a secret message. she tries to sing along, but gets stuck on what she thinks is the "i was raised by two lesbians" line, and has to try another way to crack the code!

i had a listen to the song today and wrote down the lyrics as they sounded to me - rather like i do every time i go looking for a song for the seasons! (you cannot always trust the lyrics you find online!) i checked my lyrics against what there is online, and i think i did MOSTLY ok - i definitely agree with whoopi about the lesbians, although it sounded to me like they were blessed!

here is my take... i've put my dodgy lyrics in capitals (with the ALLEGEDLY correct version in brackets)

i'm not saying my lyrics are wrong... i'm just saying they didn't quite match the general consensus i could find on lyrics sites! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftzZlk5zgZY

watch it

i was born in a CLASS FIVE hurricane (cross-fire hurricane)
and i howled at my ma in the driving rain
but it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
but it's all right, i'm jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas gas gas

i was raised by TWO BLESSED LESBIANS (by a toothless, bearded hag)
i was NUDE (i was schooled) with a strap right across my back
well, it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
well, it's all right, i'm jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas gas gas

i was BROWNED (drowned) i was washed up and left for AN ASS (left for dead)
i fell down to my feet, and i STOLE THEIR PLATES (i saw they bled) yeah yeah
i frowned, AND I BIT OFF a crust of bread (i frowned at a crust of bread)
i was DROWNED with a spike right through my head, oh yeah yeah (i was crowned with)

but it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
well it's all right, i'm jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas gas gas

jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas
jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas, yeah
jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas, yeah

strumsilly
09-07-2014, 05:41 AM
I always thought the "Jai Guru Deva Om " line was just some gibberish about kangaroos until I saw it in print, probably 20 years and a million listens later . The Beatles "Across the Universe " is a lovely song, maybe I'll do it.

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me
Jai Guru Deva OM

librainian
09-07-2014, 05:42 AM
OK - I don't remember correct or incorrect lyrics and the only one that came to mind was there's a bathroom to the right
Well the right is not my leaning and I have done that song before so I went on the www and found that Norwegian Wood gets a mention so that is the song I've done.
Beatles', "Norwegian Wood"
Just straight as it comes.

Brian, thank you for getting us started so fabulously this week. I loved your slightly different melody line especially. What a treat to wake up to this morning! Great playing, singing and of course your easy and mellow style is suits the song perfectly.

This is a song that Bono wrote when his father passed away. I really like the song but never attempted it as I think his vocals are really great in the original. I had to go down two whole steps just to be able to sing this. And I totally have no idea what I am doing in the bridge, I should probably have listened to the original before recording. I actually came up with recording this song by following the link Andrew gave in the intro.
Where it should be:

Great back story Wim. You are so right it makes much more sense! In fact it sorta changes the whole meaning of the lyric doesn't it? Thanks for helping us get the party started right!

Big Joe Turner song that became a sanitised hit Bill Haley and his Comets.

Great performance and I'm loving the cigar box uke which suits the song nicely. Shake it Marilyn!! Great singing and a classy performance all around.

Misunderstood Song Lyric for Season (134) of the Ukulele. The Clash “White Riot” (or misheard as “Why Rye?” by YouTuber Samthelima - I put a link to his excellent video at bottom)

Brian, this was an inspired mondegreen choice and I'm so glad you brought it! Well done!

Unfortunately the formatting is not separating the original and misheard lyrics in the description so I would add a couple of "//"s between or something because watching with the lyrics really adds to the total fun factor here.

Thanks again I loved it!

I am enjoying the extra video shares so much I am adding a third playlist just for these hilarious Mondegreen videos. Check the first post for the link.

in the film "jumpin' jack flash" there is a scene where whoopi goldberg tries to decipher the lyrics of the song, thinking they contain a secret message. she tries to sing along, but gets stuck on what she thinks is the "i was raised by two lesbians" line, and has to try another way to crack the code!

i had a listen to the song today and wrote down the lyrics as they sounded to me - rather like i do every time i go looking for a song for the seasons! (you cannot always trust the lyrics you find online!) i checked my lyrics against what there is online, and i think i did MOSTLY ok - i definitely agree with whoopi about the lesbians, although it sounded to me like they were blessed!

here is my take... i've put my dodgy lyrics in capitals

i'm not saying my lyrics are wrong... i'm just saying they didn't quite match the general consensus i could find on lyrics sites! ;)

OW!! I hit my head on the desk bobbing my head to hard to this mondegreen rocker! Way to rock that Korala(?) uke. You upstrums and delivery fit the song choice nicely. It's true when I'm working on a new song for the seasons I usually listen and write the lyrics as I hear them and then check the lyric sites. Sure it would be easier to do the reverse and just copy and paste but this way is much more FUN!

Glorious vid Lynda. Thank you for your entry.

librainian
09-07-2014, 05:51 AM
I'm just going to add that if you want to preserve formatting to present lyrics side by side, use the advanced editor and the # "code" tag which is designed for such occasions. Then you get a fixed typeface font and tabs and text alignment is preserved. See an example snippet from Brian's "Why Rye?" lyrics

Black people gotta lot a problems (Pacman got a lot of brothers)
But they don't mind throwing a brick (but NATO buy your bridge)
White people go to school (why do people go to school)
Where they teach you how to be thick (for me to have lunatics)

I should add that you may with to format the lyrics first in a plain text editor like notepad to do the tab alignment and then copy and paste into your post. Trying to do this kind of formatting in the UU editor is more difficult and tabs don't work unless pasted in. Just a little vBulletin based forum quirk.

09-07-2014, 06:10 AM
Way to rock that Korala(?) uke.
yes it's a little korala - i have two of them, one in white, one in black, both supercool :cool: i'm not sure it's enough, though, i'm sure i need more, they do lots of lovely colours :uhoh: HELP! :eek:

REALLY loving your theme, i never played my song before, thank heavens really, otherwise i might have already known the words! easy peasy chords, and doing it the way i heard it was such a lot of fun! thanks!

UkeyDave
09-07-2014, 06:21 AM
Here is my entry. This would have qualified for Myrna's season too. I think Maria did this tune for the last season, but definitely NOT with these lyrics.:-)
Well I also messed up by actually singing a correct lyric where I should have used the wrong one. Not sure what that is called (a reverse-mondegreen perhaps). Oh by the way, I have no idea where the funny lyrics came from. I remember seeing it on a facebook post a few months back and thinking how clever it was.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=38oqeppXdM4

UkeCan1 2.0
09-07-2014, 06:40 AM
Well I also messed up by actually singing a correct lyric where I should have used the wrong one. Not sure what that is called (a reverse-mondegreen perhaps). Oh by the way, I have no idea where the funny lyrics came from.

Why, of course it is a "him on the green"!

By the way, the full misheard line that generated the fun coinage "mondegreen" is something like:
"They've slain the Earl of Moray and laid him on the green" ->
"They've slain the Earl of Moray and Lady Mondegreen"
So it becomes two slain people instead of one!
i've always loved the cleverness of that.

strumsilly
09-07-2014, 07:32 AM
I always thought the "Jai Guru Deva Om " line was just some gibberish about kangaroos until I saw it in print, probably 20 years and a million listens later . The Beatles "Across the Universe " is a lovely song, maybe I'll do it.

Jai Guru Deva OM

http://youtu.be/rfyVb2zNjVs

librainian
09-07-2014, 09:03 AM
Here is my entry. This would have qualified for Myrna's season too. I think Maria did this tune for the last season, but definitely NOT with these lyrics.:-)
Well I also messed up by actually singing a correct lyric where I should have used the wrong one. Not sure what that is called (a reverse-mondegreen perhaps). Oh by the way, I have no idea where the funny lyrics came from. I remember seeing it on a facebook post a few months back and thinking how clever it was.

Mmmm Cheeeese! A nice choice and fun to play along. Thanks for joining the party Dave!

Jai Guru Deva OM

I never figured out those words either. Isn't in funny how, lacking a clear meaning the brain will provide it's own no matter how ridiculous? It's sort of an optical illusion for the ears sometimes. A wonderfully mellow performance of a great song. Thank you sir. Those are some mystical 'roos!

Tootler
09-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Why, of course it is a "him on the green"!

By the way, the full misheard line that generated the fun coinage "mondegreen" is something like:
"They've slain the Earl of Moray and laid him on the green" ->
"They've slain the Earl of Moray and Lady Mondegreen"
So it becomes two slain people instead of one!
i've always loved the cleverness of that.

Here's the offending song. "The Bonny Earl O'Moray"

http://youtu.be/Uf8DElxYWH8

This is my own arrangement and not as it's usually sung which has never really satisfied me.

This is on old video from an earlier so not an entry. Were I to remake it, I would make some changes.

librainian
09-07-2014, 09:41 AM
Here's the offending song. "The Bonny Earl O'Moray"

This is my own arrangement and not as it's usually sung which has never really satisfied me.

This is on old video from an earlier so not an entry. Were I to remake it, I would make some changes.

I threw it on the bonus list. Thanks Geoff!

lelouden
09-07-2014, 12:08 PM
Great theme Andrew! Reminds me of a song I did!

True story :)

Season 100 I did a song and dedicated it to my mother who has passed away. This song is a beautiful song. I really put my all into it, practicing to get every line and note just perfect. I was sooooo proud of this gem. I spent many sleepless night practicing to make it perfect. Then time came to tape and share this perfect gem with the world and I proudly submitted "Momma's Teaching Angels How To Sing" (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIh9y-Nkabg&list=UUZLptu1kN-j1JcDvEoHdyLQ)....

Then came my first comment. This one fellow that shall remain nameless gave me this most sincere comment.

Admittedly BERNI said he had too much to drink for lunch but he was sure that I sang "Obama's teaching angels how to See!" :biglaugh:

librainian
09-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Haha nice Berni story Linda! Thanks for the mid afternoon pick me up!

librainian
09-07-2014, 01:33 PM
BEV suggested I upload a small demo of the prize ukes for Season 134 so here they are. The palm motif uke I played a chord melody snippet of "Mistakes" and on the other uke I've tried "Some Fun Out Of Life" and "It Had to Be you.

Apologies for the "Chrimess Knee"

http://youtu.be/giEI8GYMM_k

These were my very first ukes I purchased them here in Portland from a gentleman who had a collection of about 12 for sale. I chose these two as the best players. I am happy to pass them on in this fashion to a new admirer.

09-07-2014, 02:40 PM
ooooooooooooooooooh they are gorgeous! no, not JUST your knees! the ukes aren't bad either ;)

thanks so much for making that vid, it's so wonderful to hear the ukes, and see them in action, they really sound and look so beautiful

ukuleledaddy
09-07-2014, 04:21 PM
ooooooooooooooooooh they are gorgeous! no, not JUST your knees! the ukes aren't bad either ;)

thanks so much for making that vid, it's so wonderful to hear the ukes, and see them in action, they really sound and look so beautiful

Look at BEV going for the suck up prize.

Your knees are truly gorgeous though Andrew (and so are those ukes!!!!)

09-07-2014, 05:02 PM
just stop that, i said he has lovely knees first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually thought his entire legs were gorgeous but i didn't wanna say that and look like i was sneaking up to our lovely host :uhoh:

Jazzbanjorex
09-07-2014, 05:22 PM
just stop that, i said he has lovely knees first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i actually thought his entire legs were gorgeous but i didn't wanna say that and look like i was sneaking up to our lovely host :uhoh:

Wow Andrew, have you been working out?

ukuleledaddy
09-07-2014, 05:41 PM
For a moment I thought I'd bag this vid and try for a better take later in the week. Then I thought "who the hell am I kidding?" I'm lucky to get anything down this week at all, so here it is.
I've always been a big Neil Diamond fan. My wife rolls her eyes. I dragged her to one of his concerts. I remember during out courtship driving down some highway with this song blasting and us singing along. I finally had to stop the music and ask her what she thought the song was called. "Revered Blue Jeans. Duh!" I love this woman so much. When I asked her what song she thought I'd do this week, she hit the nail on the head.

http://youtu.be/26ecOwFYsVk

09-07-2014, 08:54 PM
i can't decide if he's been working out, or if he's naturally just incredibly muscular

who can say?

here is another vid from me

"so lonely" by the police

only................ it does sound like "sue lawley"

who is a very lovely newsreader

i won't write out the lyrics, is simples, every time it should be so lonely, you just sing sue lawley

it's what we all did at school!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBh2x0u2324

pabrizzer
09-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Duffy sounds like she is begging for birdseed in her Mercy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jp8jpVUfA) song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk6WMJvbJ-U

librainian
09-08-2014, 05:20 AM

Look at BEV going for the suck up prize.

Your knees are truly gorgeous though Andrew (and so are those ukes!!!!)

Yes shameless ego stroking in progress. Won't sway my handy dandy score tabulator unfortunately.

Shameless. Go on.... ;)

Well I walk the dogs every day. Does that count?

librainian
09-08-2014, 05:22 AM
Duffy sounds like she is begging for birdseed in her Mercy (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0jp8jpVUfA) song.

Mercy / birdseed - who can say? Thanks for entry # 2 Brian and for keeping this ol' train a rollin' down the track.

librainian
09-08-2014, 05:27 AM
<shameless flattery redacted>
here is another vid from me

"so lonely" by the police

only................ it does sound like "sue lawley"

who is a very lovely newsreader

i won't write out the lyrics, is simples, every time it should be so lonely, you just sing sue lawley

it's what we all did at school!

What composure Sue had on that tremendously distracting visitor to the newsroom.

Seriously thanks Lynda for doing this Police song as your next entry. It's a beaut!

09-08-2014, 01:29 PM

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xJWxPE8G2c
omg that was spot on and so funny!

"i'm tellin' ellen, kiss anne no more"

:biglaugh:

:bowdown:

the amazing thing is, she did take his advice :eek:

Harry122
09-08-2014, 02:45 PM
When I was a little kid, there was a cartoon on Saturday mornings called "Casper the Friendly Ghost." Y'all are probably familiar. The cartoon always started with a cute, bouncy little jingle. Somehow, I mis-heard the lyrics and for some reason, my version never struck me as odd. I'll sing what I heard, but I'll put the original lyric up while I'm mis-singing so you'll know the original. Y'know what? My version might be better!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuYEE138-RE&feature=youtu.be

Rustyy
09-08-2014, 06:20 PM
Back in 1969, when I was a lot younger, and, hopefully, a lot more naive, I heard this song on the radio, and was surprised by the lyrics, or what I thought were the lyrics. The name of the group, The Plastic Ono Band, didn't really mean much to me, although, of course I'd heard of Yoko.
A couple of years prior to this Australian TV commenced to show a series called "Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo". Skippy went on to be one of our most exported TV programs.
It was a popular show, but being a bit old for it myself, I looked down on it as being too young for me, and let's face it, the close ups of the interaction between the young star, Sonny, and Skippy were a bit twee.
However, I was very surprised when some band I hadn't heard of sang a song proclaiming "All we are saying is Skippy's a gas". Bear in mind that in 1968, Jumpin' Jack Flash had already been a "gas, gas, gas", so I didn't think it was a big stretch. Of course the rest of the lyrics made no sense to me, but the chorus was a good sing-along.
After a few hearings I realised my error, but even today, when I hear this song, I still like to remember Skippy.

http://youtu.be/tsYFKNnBNMU

librainian
09-08-2014, 08:05 PM
When I was a little kid, there was a cartoon on Saturday mornings called "Casper the Friendly Ghost." Y'all are probably familiar. The cartoon always started with a cute, bouncy little jingle. Somehow, I mis-heard the lyrics and for some reason, my version never struck me as odd. I'll sing what I heard, but I'll put the original lyric up while I'm mis-singing so you'll know the original. Y'know what? My version might be better!

Clever videography and a fun charmingly fun video for the theme. Thanks Randy. I'll have to get some video tips from you now. I just got some new software so I'm looking to include a little smidge of your video prowess on mine in the future! A fun entry!

Back in 1969, when I was a lot younger, and, hopefully, a lot more naive, I heard this song on the radio, and was surprised by the lyrics, or what I thought were the lyrics. The name of the group, The Plastic Ono Band, didn't really mean much to me, although, of course I'd heard of Yoko.
A couple of years prior to this Australian TV commenced to show a series called "Skippy, the Bush Kangaroo". Skippy went on to be one of our most exported TV programs.
It was a popular show, but being a bit old for it myself, I looked down on it as being too young for me, and let's face it, the close ups of the interaction between the young star, Sonny, and Skippy were a bit twee.
However, I was very surprised when some band I hadn't heard of sang a song proclaiming "All we are saying is Skippy's a gas". Bear in mind that in 1968, Jumpin' Jack Flash had already been a "gas, gas, gas", so I didn't think it was a big stretch. Of course the rest of the lyrics made no sense to me, but the chorus was a good sing-along.
After a few hearings I realised my error, but even today, when I hear this song, I still like to remember Skippy.

Or we could say give Peace Some Gas and Give Skippy a Chance. Either way.. works for me! Fun stuff Rustyy. I think the other lyrics are ripe for mondegreenist interpretations as well. Thanks for your entry. The shaker egg was a nice touch which evoked the feel of the original.

Keep 'em coming y'all!

redpaul1
09-08-2014, 08:36 PM

Ahem! *brushes lapels*

Week 98: I Want My MTV! (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91539-Week-98-I-Want-My-MTV!&p=1456542#post1456542)

09-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Ahem! *brushes lapels*

Week 98: I Want My MTV! (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?91539-Week-98-I-Want-My-MTV!&p=1456542#post1456542)
i knew it was you did that!

did you make it all up yourself?

redpaul1
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
i knew it was you did that!

did you make it all up yourself?

No - just took the photo :)

librainian
09-08-2014, 09:09 PM
Ahem! *brushes lapels*

Imitation = the sincerest form of flattery. Nice one. I'll throw that on the bonus list for kicks cause it deserves more views mate!

09-08-2014, 09:18 PM
No - just took the photo :)
took the photo and then heavy-uked it up and made a super seasons vid is all!

:worship:

how wonderful of our lovely host to put this on the bonus list for this season

i've said it before and i'll probably say it several more times while those gorgeous ukes are still up for grabs, but andrew is just soooooooooo dreeeeeeeeamy

mythinformed
09-08-2014, 11:12 PM
I looked to the sky where there was Birds eye
She was looking at knees from bubblegum trees...............

Rustyy
09-09-2014, 01:02 AM
This one is a little older than my previous entry. It's from 1966 and was sung by Herman's Hermits. It's not a song I remember as being a favourite, but I did have trouble with the lyrics when it first came out. I think I had to see it written in a Top 40 chart before I actually understood what was being sung.
My hangup with it was that I thought they sang 'She's a muscular boy", which, in my mind then, might have been a "complete impossibility". Of course, this was all before I knew what possibilities there were in an adult world.

http://youtu.be/PqCkv-mDdPA

bonesigh
09-09-2014, 07:55 AM
If you've got the time go check out the original just posted for last weeks contest. It's called "Na'au Pihi Baby". I've been having computer problems galore but hubby just fixed it, yey! Still having trouble with my video editor though ): I'll post a vid here for this week soon. Now that I CAN watch some vids, I'll get to it now. Aloha.

librainian
09-09-2014, 09:35 AM
This one is a little older than my previous entry. It's from 1966 and was sung by Herman's Hermits. It's not a song I remember as being a favourite, but I did have trouble with the lyrics when it first came out. I think I had to see it written in a Top 40 chart before I actually understood what was being sung.
My hangup with it was that I thought they sang 'She's a muscular boy", which, in my mind then, might have been a "complete impossibility". Of course, this was all before I knew what possibilities there were in an adult world.

She's a muscular boy, a must to avoid. Does she have Man Hands? 'Cause that would definitely be a deal break for me. Hilarious entry Rusty. Thanks for entry #2

dickadcock
09-09-2014, 10:33 AM

Sooooo ..... You're saying she might be different down under???

Jazzbanjorex
09-09-2014, 12:38 PM
I heard it in a love song, .....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgDb8ykK4Cw&feature=youtu.be

Jazzbanjorex
09-09-2014, 12:40 PM
I'd really love to see you tonight...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFKpeV6qp7M&feature=youtu.be

librainian
09-09-2014, 01:20 PM
I heard it in a love song, .....

That's one long love song let me tell you. Thanks for playing Rex. I like how you are doing the chords over the video. I might give that a try.

librainian
09-09-2014, 01:28 PM
I'd really love to see you tonight...

Women hate it when you dis the linens They are kinda touchy about that stuff all right. I'm loving all the mondegreens so far. Now are you messing with my head 'cause your last "clarified" lyric said "warm wind blowin, the stars are out" or is it warm wind blowin the stars around" which is what I always thought it was and it sounds more poetic. No cheating looking now - which is it?

librainian
09-09-2014, 01:36 PM
More entries on the newly renamed Mondegreen Merriment Playlist (non-seasons related YT vids)

Here's one: 30 mondegreens in four minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6p6rV3OKcjw

lelouden
09-09-2014, 09:40 PM
Andrew, I am working on something for you.

I have to admit that I think there are two types of music listeners. One intently hears the lyrics and the other intently hears the music. I happen to be one that hears the music. I hear the instruments and all the note. Rarely do I listen to the lyrics. This is probably why I have a heck of a time memorizing a song and blunder the lyrics during the 159th take ;)

Every song I listen to sounds like this to me.....and if I sing along this is how I sound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V562wfd7XPM

I would do this one if I knew how to spell this mumbo jumbo :)

09-09-2014, 09:51 PM
ooooooookaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

a pal of mine just lent me a "stingrays - live" cd

i haven't listened to the whole thing because i got stuck on track one - "satisfy you"

wow, what a song! but... what on earth were they actually singing??????????? (i could work out the "satisfy you" bit... but hey there was kind of a clue in the title and all.............)

so i went on youtube and checked out the studio version. i still couldn't make sense of a whole chunk of the song in the middle

so i thought what the hey i wanna play this it sounds so great i'll just busk it i'll just make something up in the middle

so i did

the song is actually a cover, the original is by the seeds

i checked out the seeds' version and it still didn't help me get the middle section... but i did discover i even had the rest of the song wrong too :eek:

the ONLY bit i really have right is "satisfy you"!

but hey it's a blast to play - just E and D alternating all the way through - do join in if you fancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qU4spvRw0

real lyrics

I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
If you got your radio
turn it on
So I can satisfy you, girl
So I can satisfy you

I want to satisfy you
I want to satisfy you
But you look at your radio
And TV guide
While I can satisfy you, girl
While I can satisfy you

Set my imagination
And put it anywhere
Take it in my head
Let me forget
Waiting for someone
To come by on one
Taking you to
His castle in the sky

Well, I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you

When you look out your window
Well, I see you
Girl, I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
In the paper and radio
And the local news
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you

my lyrics...

i can satisfy you
i can satisfy you
don't look at your radio baby
'cos i can satisfy you, girl
i can satisfy you

i wanna satisfy you
i wanna satisfy you
don't look at your radio or TV, babe,
i can satisfy you

i dunno what they're saying now
i dunno what they're saying
but i think it's about sex
yeah
aout sex
yeah
in a good way yeah
in a good way hopefully
in a good way - it better be
just imagine stuff you like here
just imagine stuff you'd like, yeah

i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy you babe

i can satisfy you
i can satisfy you
don't look outta your window baby
'cos i wanna satisfy you, girl
i wanna satisfy
i wanna satisfy
i wanna satisfy you
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
you
you
you
you

i appreciate this is not only misheard lyrics but also couldn't-make-out-a-single-word-so-i-totally-invented-something-to-fill-the-musical-space lyrics

and may not therefore count

soz :uhoh:

09-09-2014, 09:54 PM
lol!

it's such a great song though! all together now.... louie louie................ uh...................... ummmmmmmmmmmmmm... yeah linda over to you for this bit uh you know like the whole song!!!!!!

pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease dooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo this!

redpaul1
09-09-2014, 10:29 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx-8_GI4d2c

Dave Marsh: Louie Louie: The History and Mythology of the World's Most Famous Rock'n'Roll song; Including the Full Details of Its Torture and Persecution at the Hands of the Kingsmen, J. Edgar Hoover's F.B.I., and a Cast of Millions; and Introducing, for the First Time Anywhere, the Actual Dirty Lyrics. (1992). Hyperion Books. ISBN 1-56282-865-7.

pabrizzer
09-09-2014, 10:32 PM

I have to admit that I think there are two types of music listeners. One intently hears the lyrics and the other intently hears the music. I happen to be one that hears the music. I hear the instruments and all the note. Rarely do I listen to the lyrics. This is probably why I have a heck of a time memorizing a song and blunder the lyrics during the 159th take ;)

Every song I listen to sounds like this to me.....and if I sing along this is how I sound!

Funny you mention that song Linda.
Some people in Portland gave it a real good go.
And Sean does a pretty good job at explaining those lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasPz3tvrwY

redpaul1
09-09-2014, 10:37 PM

i haven't listened to the whole thing because i got stuck on track one - "satisfy you"

wow, what a song! but... what on earth were they actually singing??????????? (i could work out the "satisfy you" bit... but hey there was kind of a clue in the title and all.............)

so i went on youtube and checked out the studio version. i still couldn't make sense of a whole chunk of the song in the middle

so i thought what the hey i wanna play this it sounds so great i'll just busk it i'll just make something up in the middle

so i did

i checked out the seeds' version and it still didn't help me get the middle section... but i did discover i even had the rest of the song wrong too :eek:

but hey it's a blast to play - just E and D alternating all the way through - do join in if you fancy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4qU4spvRw0

real lyrics

I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
If you got your radio
turn it on
So I can satisfy you, girl
So I can satisfy you

I want to satisfy you
I want to satisfy you
But you look at your radio
And TV guide
While I can satisfy you, girl
While I can satisfy you

Set my imagination
And put it anywhere
Take it in my head
Let me forget
Waiting for someone
To come by on one
Taking you to
His castle in the sky

Well, I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you

When you look out your window
Well, I see you
Girl, I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
In the paper and radio
And the local news
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you
I can satisfy you

my lyrics...

i can satisfy you
i can satisfy you
don't look at your radio baby
i can satisfy you

i wanna satisfy you
i wanna satisfy you
don't look at your radio or TV, babe,
i can satisfy you

i dunno what they're saying now
i dunno what they're saying
but i think it's about sex
yeah
aout sex
yeah
in a good way yeah
in a good way hopefully
in a good way - it better be
just imagine stuff you like here
just imagine stuff you'd like, yeah

i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy you babe

i can satisfy you
i can satisfy you
don't look outta your window baby
'cos i wanna satisfy you, girl
i wanna satisfy
i wanna satisfy
i wanna satisfy you
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
i can satisfy
you
you
you
you

i appreciate this is not only misheard lyrics but also couldn't-make-out-a-single-word-so-i-totally-invented-something-to-fill-the-musical-space lyrics

I tried to play along. I really did. I managed to get about half-way through. Then I had to go take a cold shower :uhoh:

09-09-2014, 10:53 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NasPz3tvrwY
thank you so much for re-posting that, pa, i dunno how i missed that vid at the time, MAN, it ROCKS!!!!!! i mean REALLY. anyone anywhere who maybe thinks you cannot rock out on a uke needs to see that vid!

I tried to play along. I really did. I managed to get about half-way through. Then I had to go take a cold shower :uhoh:
lol!!!!!!

and.......... omg i'm blushing!!!!

pabrizzer
09-09-2014, 11:38 PM
Pair of Dice or Paradise?
I really wanted to do this with Charlotte yesterday but it is just too much to expect her to learn a new song and do a vid in the little time we have together on Tuesdays. She was getting it pretty well too.
Here is my (one) take flaws and all go at it with no enhancements - just pa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpIb15gsr3M

Tootler
09-10-2014, 04:12 AM
More entries on the newly renamed Mondegreen Merriment Playlist (non-seasons related YT vids)

Brilliant!

:smileybounce:

Tootler
09-10-2014, 04:24 AM
I was usually pretty OK at picking up lyrics though I have discovered a few mondegreens over the years. One I do remember but it was deliberate as we used to call "Let's Dance" by Chris Montez "Little Dan".

Also I always thought the last line was

"Don't you think that kisses are nice" instead of "Yes I know that this is the night".

Here's my version (though I confess to using the correct lyrics throughout). A pretty rough and ready one take job.

http://youtu.be/GazXbAdJcvQ

Here's the original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAveLaziBmQ

The Kingsmen defeated me.

redpaul1
09-10-2014, 04:48 AM
I too was racking my brain for a mondegreen that I'd fallen for. This is the only one I can come up with. I always used to think the line was: "I thought I was the mighty table king" - but it's "I thought I was the Bally table king" - Bally (Ba-lly, not Ball-y, if you see what I mean) being the principal manufacturer of pinball machines. Not much of a mondegreen, I admit, but it's all I got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLKHEujgcys

I always get the last verse completely wrong too :/

p.s., btw: thank you for adding 'Sweet Cheese' to the bonus playlist: a unexpected, and very flattering(!), honour.

UkeyDave
09-10-2014, 05:57 AM

I have to admit that I think there are two types of music listeners. One intently hears the lyrics and the other intently hears the music. I happen to be one that hears the music.
Me too. :-)

Barbablanca
09-10-2014, 07:05 AM
I too was racking my brain for a mondegreen that I'd fallen for. This is the only one I can come up with. I always used to think the line was: "I thought I was the mighty table king" - but it's "I thought I was the Bally table king" - Bally (Ba-lly, not Ball-y, if you see what I mean) being the principal manufacturer of pinball machines. Not much of a mondegreen, I admit, but it's all I got:

THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE it says, Paul.

Barbablanca
09-10-2014, 07:18 AM
I was stuck for what to do for this. But then a friend sent me a link to Mississippi Fred McDowell's "Freight Train Blues" - I immediately had my answer. I had to write down what I thought could hear on a first listen and use that as my Mondagreen version this week.

So here it is:

http://vimeo.com/105756397

LYRICS I THOUGHT I HEARD HERE:

Freight Train Blues

I got on that freight train tried to beat my wings. (x2)
Lord that rocking drivel I threw it all in my bed.

Aye Deacon Doctor let me ride behind.
Aye Deacon Doctor, leave out my behind.
Lori Sugarhead said training’s not my line.

(Instrumental) That old Sugar’s bad I'm telling ya!

I got a letter from a horse friend. I tell you I was red! (x2)
Lord he’s gone that white boy. Shirley’s cat is dead!

I met one – I met one - short li'l gal oh yeh!

Fella left my baby out the back door crying
I let my baby stand in the back door crying
I never felt so sorry for her – till she said goodbye.

Goodbye, goodbye.

To hear what you think he's singing, check out this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZtMFWZT7Q)

lelouden
09-10-2014, 07:56 AM

NOOOOO ITS NOT THE SONG! ITS MEEEEEE :D I LOVE THE SONG I JUST WOULDNT KNOW HOW TO SPELL OR SING WHAT I HEAR!

IS IT POSSIBLE UKEYDAVE AND I THE ONLY ONES?

ANDREW, IF IT WERENT FOR A CHEAT SHEET WOULD YOU HAVE KNOWN THE WORDS OR WOULD IT HAVE SOUNDED LIKE THIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsXBHIYjTPw

BTW ANDREW, RALF AND SEAN,

I REMEMBER THAT VIDEO AND LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVED IT!!!

YOU GUYS NEED TO DO THAT AGAIN FOR THIS WEEK, BUT ALL MONDEGREENED UP! :drool:

librainian
09-10-2014, 08:01 AM

I totally agree! I am tuned into the music much more than lyrics. MY wife is just the opposite. Together I guess we make one good music audience.

Dave Marsh: Louie Louie: The History and Mythology of the World's Most Famous Rock'n'Roll song; Including the Full Details of Its Torture and Persecution at the Hands of the Kingsmen, J. Edgar Hoover's F.B.I., and a Cast of Millions; and Introducing, for the First Time Anywhere, the Actual Dirty Lyrics. (1992). Hyperion Books. ISBN 1-56282-865-7. This would have come in handy when Ralf, Sean and I covered this song.

And there it is! Thanks Pa! Yeah Sean had the perfect intro from somewhere. That was tons of fun! Thank you Little White Uke for making that possible.

thank you so much for re-posting that, pa, i dunno how i missed that vid at the time, MAN, it ROCKS!!!!!! i mean REALLY. anyone anywhere who maybe thinks you cannot rock out on a uke needs to see that vid!

lol!!!!!!

and.......... omg i'm blushing!!!!

Rock is a state of mind. Just ask Ian from Jethro Tull, I mean he rocked that flute HARD!

librainian
09-10-2014, 08:37 AM

so i did

<Lyrics Redacted for brevity>

I have no problem with this entry because the contrasting lyrics are still funny which is what we are going for this week.

The nice thing about songs like this is it doesn't really matter if you get the lyrics wrong or make up you own because the whole point of the song is covered by just one line! Nice one BEV and congrats you are the first Seasonista to 3 awesome videos this week. Hoooray!

Now we need to mash this up with the Stones "Can't Get No Satisfaction" and see what happens.

Pair of Dice or Paradise?
I really wanted to do this with Charlotte yesterday but it is just too much to expect her to learn a new song and do a vid in the little time we have together on Tuesdays. She was getting it pretty well too.
Here is my (one) take flaws and all go at it with no enhancements - just pa.

Pa doing Coldplay. Awesome! I liked this performance a lot. Oooh BEV just crossed the tape ahead of you in the race to 3 fab entries for Season 134. Thank you Brian for your always amazing covers. You are like the sun rising in the east and setting in the west around here.

I was usually pretty OK at picking up lyrics though I have discovered a few mondegreens over the years. One I do remember but it was deliberate as we used to call "Let's Dance" by Chris Montez "Little Dan".

Also I always thought the last line was

"Don't you think that kisses are nice" instead of "Yes I know that this is the night".

Here's my version (though I confess to using the correct lyrics throughout). A pretty rough and ready one take job.

The Kingsmen defeated me.

For a sec I thought you were going to rock out with some Bowie but this is equally rocking. I loved the harp solo as well. A great cover of a classic surf tune. I've always thought of it as one anyway. Now where's my board dude? Thank you for your entry Geoff.

p.s., btw: thank you for adding 'Sweet Cheese' to the bonus playlist: a unexpected, and very flattering(!), honour.

I'll comment on this video and add it to the playlist in the appropriate spot as soon as it is viewable thanks!

I was stuck for what to do for this. But then a friend sent me a link to Mississippi Fred McDowell's "Freight Train Blues" - I immediately had my answer. I had to write down what I thought could hear on a first listen and use that as my Mondagreen version this week.

So here it is:
http://vimeo.com/105756397

<Lyrics redacted for brevity>

To hear what you think he's singing, check out this link (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZtMFWZT7Q)

Berni this is so cool! You know I like blues and slide and here you are with a blues tune and played on a reso uke with a slide and lapstyle to boot. 10/10 for style and just overall impressing the judge. Loved this!

The bluesmen are a wellspring of misheard and misinterpreted lyrics to be sure. They elevate mumbling to an art form I tell you. I mean look a John Lee Hooker. I can never understand what that cat is saying but I love it anyway!

UkeyDave
09-10-2014, 08:42 AM
A different take on Bad Moon Rising. I've switched a few chords. The misheard lyrics can be found HERE. (http://www.kissthisguy.com/bad-moon-rising-creedence-clearwater-rev-misheard-song-309.htm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDVtphhjdQ

09-10-2014, 12:23 PM
ANDREW, IF IT WERENT FOR A CHEAT SHEET WOULD YOU HAVE KNOWN THE WORDS OR WOULD IT HAVE SOUNDED LIKE THIS?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsXBHIYjTPw

lol!

here's another great and true one (yeah what IS he singing???????) from a film...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4ZRJ-Cxw4A

cua94
09-10-2014, 12:32 PM
Linda I have this same exact problem!

"I have to admit that I think there are two types of music listeners. One intently hears the lyrics and the other intently hears the music. I happen to be one that hears the music. I hear the instruments and all the note. Rarely do I listen to the lyrics. This is probably why I have a heck of a time memorizing a song and blunder the lyrics during the 159th take"

frisbee fred
09-10-2014, 12:44 PM
Quick take by the side of the road for Andrew.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iQmfdh7mhw&feature=youtu.be

Pueo
09-10-2014, 12:50 PM
Great theme!
Right now there is J Boog song on the radio here where I SWEAR the lyric is
"...when she takes a dump I smell the gas she collects"
so I finally had to look it up today and apparently the actual lyric is
"...when she take a double, pay her cash, she collects"
which actually makes sense in the context.

Hmmm, I wonder if I can pull off J Boog?

lelouden
09-10-2014, 12:54 PM
Ok, here ya go :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriBjLXsplM&feature=youtu.be

uke4ia
09-10-2014, 05:21 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6r3GSElPLM

The only video I've ever done that has a thousand views is a rendition of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" on a badly out-of-tune tiple. Not that there's really another kind of tiple. And I just noticed yesterday that throughout, I'm playing the main instrumental riff in 4/4 time when it should be in 7/4. So here's a uke version of "Solsbury Hill" that's a little slow because I'm being very careful to stay in 7/4.

When I first learned to play the song on uke, I found that I had a lot of the lyrics wrong:
The lyric I thought was "To keep inside, inside designed" was really "To keep inside a sad design."
The lyric I thought was "When illusions spin a net, another will I want to be" was really "When illusions spin a net, I'm never where I want to be".
The lyric I thought was "Liberty she flew away" was really "Liberty, she pirouette".
The lyric I thought was "No one talking and he kept, I was sure, another me" was really "No one taught them etiquette, I will show another me".

Phluffy the Destroyer
09-10-2014, 06:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOzi-1weMEU&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA

I grew up in Kansas. When this song came out no one had the first clue what vegamite or a kombi was. It was a catchy tune though, and most kids didn't know if you had the words right or not... Here are some of the most common mondegreens. (http://www.kissthisguy.com/men-at-work-misheard-songs-lyrics-218.htm)

09-10-2014, 07:07 PM
phluffy that vid is set to private

erivel
09-10-2014, 07:19 PM
Hey Andrew, no late night recording for you my friend! I seriously had no idea what to record this week. Been racking my brains. And then I found out that my heroes, The Replacements, played on Jimmy Fallon yesterday. This song. One of my favorite songs of all time! And then I remembered that I never knew what Paul Westerberg was singing most of the time.

On this song I always thought he said "falling asleep with a ball park video on" in the last verse. That doesn't even make sense! For decades I thought that's what he sang. Then I looked up the lyrics today and it supposedly is "falling asleep with a flop-pop video on," whatever that is…

Anyway, sorry for calling this Season 135 at the end of the video. But in true Westerberg style I screw up all over the place! Enjoy!

http://youtu.be/GDeyBDs8g10

myrnaukelele
09-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Just a quick PSA. The winners for Season 133 have been posted. Check out the wrap vid. EVERYBODY who entered a vid last week won a prize. And now back to Season 134.

redpaul1
09-10-2014, 10:59 PM

THIS VIDEO IS PRIVATE it says, Paul.

I'll comment on this video and add it to the playlist in the appropriate spot as soon as it is viewable thanks!

Well, here's the thing. I posted the vid before playing it back on YT. It sounded like absolute cack - and before you all go "what's new?", what I mean is, it sounded like it had been recorded down a pair of tin cans with a string tied between them (the original sounds fine at this end).

So I set the originally uploaded video to 'private'; went back to the file at this end, messed about with the audio settings and re-uploaded; intending to slip the new link into my OP before anyone noticed.

Well, the sound on that upload was rubbish too. As was the next, and the next (that one got 'stuck in processing'), and the next one after that. And the next one after that.

I've put the audio into Audacity & there's no sign of clipping. I've tweaked, normalised and compressed it to see if that makes a difference. Gone all over the wonderweb to see what are the preferred audio settings for YT (they're 192kbs [as of April 2014], variable bit rate, 48,000Hz sample rate, AAC encoding btw). Nothing, niente, nada. So, reluctantly, & 15 hours later :uhoh:, I've given it up as a bad job.

I'll try and find time to re-record today, but I'm getting ready to head off to the Grand Northern Ukulele Festival (http://www.northernuke.com) first thing tomorrow, so I might not have the time.

Sorry to disappoint all my fans in this way, but I hope you'll understand :/

Phluffy the Destroyer
09-10-2014, 11:18 PM
phluffy that vid is set to private

Thanks for the heads up... Try it now.

pabrizzer
09-10-2014, 11:26 PM
OK - a bonus vid - I am hoping to get a collection of Bad Moon Rising going.
The first minor version I think I saw was by Krabbers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2tkvN4CStA).
DWitt (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxuYtKOlpwQ) also did a minor version and of course there's whistling UkeyDave's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDVtphhjdQ) one this week.
I checked them all out and believe my minor version is different enough to call my own arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waHFawZRSfM

elmann
09-11-2014, 12:49 AM

Even as a non-native speaker, just ROTFBTCLMAO :rotfl:

UkeCan1
09-11-2014, 03:31 AM
Back in the days before FM radio was a thing, every year my friend Nancy and I used to listen all week between Christmas and New Years as WABC-AM, the hot music station of the New York area, would broadcast the Top 100 of the Year (http://www.musicradio77.com/music.html).

We would each keep our own separate list on a sheet of hand-numbered looseleaf paper, and then would periodically phone each other or meet up and exchange notes.

In 1973 (http://www.musicradio77.com/Top1973.html), as I excitedly read my findings into the phone, I came to #10: "I Lay in Jail".

"Really?" said Nancy ... "I had 'Angie'!"

Mortified, I instantly realized my horrible mistake. What sounded to my ears like four distinct words ... was in fact Mick Jagger drawling out the single name "Angie" into four separate syllables. Every single time of the 20 or 30 times he repeats it in the song.

Thanks to my horrified 11-year-old embarrassment, I have now discovered ... or re-discovered ... what a terrific song it is. It has some really cool chord progressions and super fun to sing. It's even right in my key. (Well, except for that one high note. :) )

And I do love the Fsus4 chord (3011), which I discovered way back when I did another song of that era (#1 of 1974 - "Rock the Boat" (http://www.musicradio77.com/Top1974.html) - for BEV's disco Seasons). Fsus -> Bb was fun in that one, and Fsus -> F is fun in this one.

So thanks for a fun and amusing Season, Andrew ... and for this song that I'd never have thought to cover ... or admit publicly I'd misunderstood in this way.

For fun, I'm singing it my way. It think it makes almost as much sense. The poor guy is incarcerated ... so he has to let his lady love go, right? If he can't be free, at least he can set her free. It's very touching, I think.

Anyway, listen to Mick (http://youtu.be/RcZn2-bGXqQ) ... he really is saying "I Lay in Jail" ... don't you agree?

Also, I never understood the line "With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats", until I looked up the lyrics this week ... I'm not sure exactly what I thought it was, if anything ... I'm one of those non-lyric-listening people who's always been perfectly happy to sing nonsense syllables that sound about right. But "With no loving and I'm told and no money and no gold" was the closest I could remember, so I sang it that way.

"All the dreams we held so close" is another ... I might have thought it was something like "had to close" ... but I forgot to sing it that way.

http://youtu.be/MWZGIvRIdmo

[Extra bonus: While I was struggling to learn the song, figure out which bits of whose charts to use, and put them into a chart of my own ... one of my fellow jam group members put a chart of "Angie" in our Dropbox! Total coincidence ... he had no idea I was needing a chart of this song. Mondegreen manna from heaven.]

By the way, I would *never* in a million years think to influence our host in any way, but ... you may notice that is not my uke in the video. My ... one and only ... uke ... my Tiki Flea soprano ukulele snapped a near-new A string on Monday night ... leading to the discovery that there are sharp grooves worn in my fretboard ... and that probably all the strings since I bought this uke have died way sooner than they should have ... and she is now en route back to her homeland ... where the magical Magic Fluke company (http://www.MagicFluke.com) is replacing her fretboard for me.

So I currently have NO UKE AT ALL.

This one is a loaner. If you are sharp-eyed (or -eared), you may recognize it from another Seasonista's videos. It is a wonderful thing to play, but it does not belong to me. I have currently not one single uke of my own in my possession.

So of course any help with that would be met with gratitude the likes of which the world has rarely seen.

cua94
09-11-2014, 04:50 AM
I did my best with this Simon and Garfunkel classic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64BdFpBAlo

Dougf
09-11-2014, 04:59 AM
I always thought it was kind of weird that the Beach Boys would sing about some guy named Bob Moran. It wasn’t until years later that I realized it was really Barbara Ann.

One of the guys I knew in college knew an old man named Bob Moran, and we used to drive by his house when we took our shortcut through Mill Valley to get to Muir Beach. It became a tradition to start singing this song every time we went past his place.

Except for the “Bob Moran” parts, the other lyric changes are really faux mondegreens (foam on the green?), i.e., I just made them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-IxXKrMZ38

Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob Moran
Bob Bob Bob Bob Bob Moran
He is the man
Bob Moran
A rockin’ and rollin’
Rockin’ and a reelin’
Bob Moran Bob Bob Bob Bob Moran

Went to a dance
Looking for a man
Saw Bob Moran
So I saw his checkered pants
Bob Moran …

He tried Mary Lou
He tried Peggy Sue
He tried Betty, too
But she threw a wooden shoe at
Bob Moran …

librainian
09-11-2014, 05:28 AM
Well, here's the thing. I posted the vid before playing it back on YT. It sounded like absolute cack - and before you all go "what's new?", what I mean is, it sounded like it had been recorded down a pair of tin cans with a string tied between them (the original sounds fine at this end).

So I set the originally uploaded video to 'private'; went back to the file at this end, messed about with the audio settings and re-uploaded; intending to slip the new link into my OP before anyone noticed.

Well, the sound on that upload was rubbish too. As was the next, and the next (that one got 'stuck in processing'), and the next one after that. And the next one after that.

I've put the audio into Audacity & there's no sign of clipping. I've tweaked, normalised and compressed it to see if that makes a difference. Gone all over the wonderweb to see what are the preferred audio settings for YT (they're 192kbs [as of April 2014], variable bit rate, 48,000Hz sample rate, AAC encoding btw). Nothing, niente, nada. So, reluctantly, & 15 hours later :uhoh:, I've given it up as a bad job.

I'll try and find time to re-record today, but I'm getting ready to head off to the Grand Northern Ukulele Festival (http://www.northernuke.com) first thing tomorrow, so I might not have the time.

No problem Paul, I simply reserved the slot for the eventual revised version. I'll keep an eye out for it. Hope you get your audio problems sorted!

librainian
09-11-2014, 05:44 AM
Wow the vids are coming in faster now. Outstanding work all of you. I will try and get to all of them this morning. Here is the first batch

A different take on Bad Moon Rising. I've switched a few chords. The misheard lyrics can be found HERE. (http://www.kissthisguy.com/bad-moon-rising-creedence-clearwater-rev-misheard-song-309.htm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cDVtphhjdQ (youtube;0cDVtphhjdQ)

Cool minor key revised chords. It certainly gives the song a new flavor and feel that suits the lyrics very well. A great second entry. Thank you Dave.

Quick take by the side of the road for Andrew.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iQmfdh7mhw&feature=youtu.be (youtube;3iQmfdh7mhw)

Yay car video! It's been I while since I resorted to car video but it shows a dedication to the seasons and to uke fun in general. Many thanks to you Fred for joining our Mondegreen Madness party!

Ok, here ya go :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriBjLXsplM&feature=youtu.be (youtube;qriBjLXsplM)

A super entry Linda. Many thanks for this thoughtful and masterful multitrack effort. I loved the melodica, shakers and harmonies that add a certain "je ne sais quoi." Tres bien merci!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6r3GSElPLM (youtube;q6r3GSElPLM)

The only video I've ever done that has a thousand views is a rendition of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" on a badly out-of-tune tiple. Not that there's really another kind of tiple. And I just noticed yesterday that throughout, I'm playing the main instrumental riff in 4/4 time when it should be in 7/4. So here's a uke version of "Solsbury Hill" that's a little slow because I'm being very careful to stay in 7/4.

When I first learned to play the song on uke, I found that I had a lot of the lyrics wrong:
The lyric I thought was "To keep inside, inside designed" was really "To keep inside a sad design."
The lyric I thought was "When illusions spin a net, another will I want to be" was really "When illusions spin a net, I'm never where I want to be".
The lyric I thought was "Liberty she flew away" was really "Liberty, she pirouette".
The lyric I thought was "No one talking and he kept, I was sure, another me" was really "No one taught them etiquette, I will show another me".

An amazing rendition of one of my all time favorite Gabriel songs ever. Really outstanding! Thanks for this wonderful entry. I had to play along with this one because it's so fun to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOzi-1weMEU&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA (youtube;IOzi-1weMEU)

I grew up in Kansas. When this song came out no one had the first clue what vegamite or a kombi was. It was a catchy tune though, and most kids didn't know if you had the words right or not... Here are some of the most common mondegreens. (http://www.kissthisguy.com/men-at-work-misheard-songs-lyrics-218.htm)

Yes! I've seen a ton of misheard lyrics videos that include this song. Great whistling entry too! I love Colin Hay but damn if it was the accent or the mix or what but I don't think I ever heard the lyrics the same way twice. Thank you for your great entry Dave. The Eddy Finn sounds nice.

Hey Andrew, no late night recording for you my friend! I seriously had no idea what to record this week. Been racking my brains. And then I found out that my heroes, The Replacements, played on Jimmy Fallon yesterday. This song. One of my favorite songs of all time! And then I remembered that I never knew what Paul Westerberg was singing most of the time.

On this song I always thought he said "falling asleep with a ball park video on" in the last verse. That doesn't even make sense! For decades I thought that's what he sang. Then I looked up the lyrics today and it supposedly is "falling asleep with a flop-pop video on," whatever that is…

Anyway, sorry for calling this Season 135 at the end of the video. But in true Westerberg style I screw up all over the place! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDeyBDs8g10

Eric, an amazing performance. You sang and played it powerfully which caused some clipping but adds to the whole rocking vibe and your vocal delivery as well. I absolutely loved Bright Little Field's album "Treatment Bound" and entire album of Replacements covers on uke and various other found instruments. Your cover should have been on that album I tell you. Simply outstanding and this one goes on my watch and learn list straight away. Many thanks for this entry.

UkeyDave
09-11-2014, 06:52 AM
I'm getting ready to head off to the Grand Northern Ukulele Festival (http://www.northernuke.com) first thing tomorrow, so I might not have the time.

Yes of course we understand Paul :-) Hopefully will catch up with you at GNUF. I'm going up on Friday too. Looking forward to it.

jamz
09-11-2014, 07:00 AM
A quickie from last night- Apparently someone heard AC/DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap as "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep" which is amazingly better. The band liked it better too, so here it is. Also recorded by Bob Rivers as an intentional parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2g5yKoeoLM&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A

Markwo
09-11-2014, 07:46 AM
Here is my entry complete with simulated ukulele sacrifice!

http://youtu.be/fdlrrcYKt40

UkeyDave
09-11-2014, 07:53 AM
Bob Moran. Hahahaha GENIUS. That really made me laugh Doug.

bonesigh
09-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Dang, dang and dang again! Yet again I can not watch any video's. Pauses every 3 seconds for ages!

MikeOnTheUke
09-11-2014, 08:04 AM
Finally got a new phone (with a MUCH better camera.) Still working on getting a new webcam/computer so, until then, this will do NICELY.

A BUNCH of you guys did this one, and I just couldn't help but throwing myself into that pot, so to speak. I love this song to death, and it used to be on my performance/party playlist when i used to do guita... big, bass ukulele stuff in college.

Enjoy Bad Moon Rising, by CCR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyNuVRds2Wg

librainian
09-11-2014, 08:06 AM
Back in the days before FM radio was a thing, every year my friend Nancy and I used to listen all week between Christmas and New Years as WABC-AM, the hot music station of the New York area, would broadcast the Top 100 of the Year (http://www.musicradio77.com/music.html).

We would each keep our own separate list on a sheet of hand-numbered looseleaf paper, and then would periodically phone each other or meet up and exchange notes.

In 1973 (http://www.musicradio77.com/Top1973.html), as I excitedly read my findings into the phone, I came to #10: "I Lay in Jail".

"Really?" said Nancy ... "I had 'Angie'!"

Mortified, I instantly realized my horrible mistake. What sounded to my ears like four distinct words ... was in fact Mick Jagger drawling out the single name "Angie" into four separate syllables. Every single time of the 20 or 30 times he repeats it in the song.

Thanks to my horrified 11-year-old embarrassment, I have now discovered ... or re-discovered ... what a terrific song it is. It has some really cool chord progressions and super fun to sing. It's even right in my key. (Well, except for that one high note. :) )

And I do love the Fsus4 chord (3011), which I discovered way back when I did another song of that era (#1 of 1974 - "Rock the Boat" (http://www.musicradio77.com/Top1974.html) - for BEV's disco Seasons). Fsus -> Bb was fun in that one, and Fsus -> F is fun in this one.

So thanks for a fun and amusing Season, Andrew ... and for this song that I'd never have thought to cover ... or admit publicly I'd misunderstood in this way.

For fun, I'm singing it my way. It think it makes almost as much sense. The poor guy is incarcerated ... so he has to let his lady love go, right? If he can't be free, at least he can set her free. It's very touching, I think.

Anyway, listen to Mick (http://youtu.be/RcZn2-bGXqQ) ... he really is saying "I Lay in Jail" ... don't you agree?

Also, I never understood the line "With no loving in our souls and no money in our coats", until I looked up the lyrics this week ... I'm not sure exactly what I thought it was, if anything ... I'm one of those non-lyric-listening people who's always been perfectly happy to sing nonsense syllables that sound about right. But "With no loving and I'm told and no money and no gold" was the closest I could remember, so I sang it that way.

"All the dreams we held so close" is another ... I might have thought it was something like "had to close" ... but I forgot to sing it that way.

http://youtu.be/MWZGIvRIdmo

By the way, I would *never* in a million years think to influence our host in any way, but ... you may notice that is not my uke in the video. My ... one and only ... uke ... my Tiki Flea soprano ukulele snapped a near-new A string on Monday night ... leading to the discovery that there are sharp grooves worn in my fretboard ... and that probably all the strings since I bought this uke have died way sooner than they should have ... and she is now en route back to her homeland ... where the magical Magic Fluke company (http://www.MagicFluke.com) is replacing her fretboard for me.

So I currently have NO UKE AT ALL.

This one is a loaner. If you are sharp-eyed (or -eared), you may recognize it from another Seasonista's videos. It is a wonderful thing to play, but it does not belong to me. I have currently not one single uke of my own in my possession.

So of course any help with that would be met with gratitude the likes of which the world has rarely seen.

"Laying in jail" does suit the tone of this song doesn't it. Mick's enormously exaggerated vowels are a constant source for misinterpretation - no doubt. My all time fave Stones album is Exiles on Main Street with all the deep blues on that album and Mick's wailing and echo on those songs I still can't make out all the words. That's one sweet uke you got there. It's got the blues look for sure. Many thanks for your entry! I enjoyed it a lot!

On the subject of that Fsus4 chord, I love to do this progression hammering on and off to get a shuffle going. I'm no chord theory person I just know what sounds good to me. So yeah back and forth on Fsus4(3011) to Bb(3211) and the back and forth on Eb(0331) to Ebadd9(0311) sounds pretty cool to me. The second one is easy if you do a little half barre with your index finger on the EA strings and then hammer on and off on the E string with your pinky. It has a real country blues feel goin' on.

Your uke deprived status will be duly considered. My condolences.

librainian
09-11-2014, 08:14 AM
Dang, dang and dang again! Yet again I can not watch any video's. Pauses every 3 seconds for ages!

Shoot!

Have you tried speedtest.net to rule out network speed problems? You might try clearing your browser cache and cookies for YouTube as well and see if that helps.

redpaul1
09-11-2014, 08:18 AM

Well. Looky here. I made it after all. It's still all I got & the sound's still not great, but the quality's still 100 times better than yesterday's. I even managed an acoustic version, which is over on the Island (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1576544#post1576544). Gotta go electric for The Who.

UkeCan1
09-11-2014, 08:42 AM
"Laying in jail" does suit the tone of this song doesn't it. Mick's enormously exaggerated vowels are a constant source for misinterpretation - no doubt. My all time fave Stones album is Exiles on Main Street with all the deep blues on that album and Mick's wailing and echo on those songs I still can't make out all the words. That's one sweet uke you got there. It's got the blues look for sure. Many thanks for your entry! I enjoyed it a lot!

On the subject of that Fsus4 chord, I love to do this progression hammering on and off to get a shuffle going. I'm no chord theory person I just know what sounds good to me. So yeah back and forth on Fsus4(3011) to Bb(3211) and the back and forth on Eb(0331) to Ebadd9(0311) sounds pretty cool to me. The second one is easy if you do a little half barre with your index finger on the EA strings and then hammer on and off on the E string with your pinky. It has a real country blues feel goin' on.

Your uke deprived status will be duly considered. My condolences.

Extra points for ukelessness? That's very kind of you, indeed. Especially since it's only a tiny bit off from "uselessness".

On the plus side, it's giving me a chance to try out a different uke, which I might have made more of an effort to do sooner ... see what else is out there, figure out what I like, what fits me. I have been wanting something louder for our weekly guitar-dominated jam nights, so I'm excited to have the reso-uke to try out there tonight. (Of course, given the date, it may be a quieter than usual kind of music night. But it should still get a fair test there ... I did request "White Room" (http://youtu.be/uuKeerpptlU). (And "Angie" (http://youtu.be/MWZGIvRIdmo)!))

I like that Fsus4->Bb hammer-on ... that sounds pretty cool, and I can do it reasonably audibly reasonably consistently. I'm about to attempt to write a country song for my cousin's engagement ... so I will try that! (Because you know I can't just do a simple 3-chord thing anyway. Gotta mess with *something*.)

The Eb one is harder ... not a natural position for my fingers, plus I find hammer-off harder than hammer-on to get a good sound from. (Especially when my ring finger wants to crunch that E string.) That's a whole set of skills I haven't explored much yet. So thanks for the lesson, Andrew! ... might be time.

And yes, I am really digging this reso-uke. Blues look *and* sound. Gotta go see if I can figure out a solider strap config before tonight.

librainian
09-11-2014, 08:43 AM
I did my best with this Simon and Garfunkel classic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N64BdFpBAlo (youtube;N64BdFpBAlo)

Liz, thanks for your take on the Simon and Garfunkel classic. A great song. Funny! If the line was "Tribulation! She loves me again" boy maybe he should reconsider those mixed feelings he has for Cecilia before all ends in tears!

I always thought it was kind of weird that the Beach Boys would sing about some guy named Bob Moran. It wasn’t until years later that I realized it was really Barbara Ann.

One of the guys I knew in college knew an old man named Bob Moran, and we used to drive by his house when we took our shortcut through Mill Valley to get to Muir Beach. It became a tradition to start singing this song every time we went past his place.

Except for the “Bob Moran” parts, the other lyric changes are really faux mondegreens (foam on the green?), i.e., I just made them up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-IxXKrMZ38 (youtube;V-IxXKrMZ38)

<LYRICS REDACTED>

Darn if that doesn't fit the bill! Clever enhanced lyrics here Doug. Many thanks for your entry, that was a fun back story as well. I looked for a famous Robert Moran and found an American composer of operas and ballets as well as numerous orchestral, vocal, chamber and dance works. Hope he ducked and avoided that wooden shoe, that would sting I'll bet!

A quickie from last night- Apparently someone heard AC/DC's Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap as "Dirty Deeds Done With Sheep" which is amazingly better. The band liked it better too, so here it is. Also recorded by Bob Rivers as an intentional parody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2g5yKoeoLM&list=UUSkFBWJvLJwMKTes5-LcQ0A (youtube;L2g5yKoeoLM)

Hey this was great! First you have the Mondegreen lyrical hilarity and then some pretty great playing as well. You captured the groove of the original perfectly with the down strum and quick chord changes and hammer on accents. Outstanding! Many thanks for your entry!

Here is my entry complete with simulated ukulele sacrifice!
http://youtu.be/fdlrrcYKt40 (youtube_share;fdlrrcYKt40)

Great lead work on the Season title song! :music: I loved the audio effects and wow the simulated uke sacrifice was amazing as well. :rock: Fabulous entry sir. I'm a fan. :worship:

Markwo
09-11-2014, 08:43 AM
I just made up another one. Here is my take on "Girl From Ipanema" - I present for your listening pleasure...."Girl With Emphysema"!!!

http://youtu.be/TljXk4WI24Y?list=UUTK55-6QuPUkNonNyGoTW0w

librainian
09-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Well. Looky here. I made it after all. It's still all I got & the sound's still not great, but the quality's still 100 times better than yesterday's.

I even managed an acoustic version, which is over on the Island (http://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?85238-The-Island-of-Misfit-Seasonistas&p=1576544#post1576544). Gotta go electric for The Who.

This was one of the first songs I ever learned on guitar so it has some special place in my heart I guess. I don't know why I would pick this song and Behind Blue Eyes as songs to try and master but I learned a lot in the attempt!

Nice Townsend windmills and flourishes. your energy was off the chart mate. Many thanks for your entry!

I should add I was a big fan of lots of the Bally machines. In fact I have an app on my Android phone "Pinball Arcade." If you are still into pinball it has plenty of those great classic tables. More Williams models but some of those classic Bally tables are represented as well. They did an amazing job with the graphics and physics.

greenie44
09-11-2014, 12:25 PM
Andy, you take me back, way back, to a particularly embarrassing event in my past. One that had essentially remained unexposed until this moment. Damn you!

In the 70s, I was a big fan of David Bowie – who wasn’t, the guy was on an incredible creative roll. I loved his music and listened to it a lot. One minor song on the Young Americans album kind of got in my head. In the song, Bowie says a line at the end of each of the two verses. The second time through, he seemingly said the mysterious phrase “Soul ticket!”.

I was baffled. What the heck was a soul ticket, and how do I get mine punched? I decided it was pure genius and vowed to work it into my life and conversation – to no avail. After about 5 years, it was still stuck in my head, so I made a very primitive T-shirt by painting the words with white fabric paint onto a black shirt. I thought it was way cool and marked me as a very particular type of cognoscenti. (I actually made 2 – the other one had the words “Raw Power”.)

I didn’t wear it that much. The one time I remember was at a social gathering for the training class for my first straight corporate job, thinking they would recognize me for the cool guy I knew I was. Only one guy mentioned it, and when I explained it, he kind of backed away with a slightly horrified look on his face. Mission accomplished, I guess.

OK, flash forward 20 years. The shirt is long gone. But the world had moved into new terrain in terms of affordable audio equipment. I had only previously heard Young Americans on cheap tinny 70s sound systems. I bought the CD of the album and was really grooving on listening to the tracks. I came to the song and heard clearly, for the first time in my life, Bowie say, not “Soul Ticket”, but “So I take it”. Sigh.

My only consolation was that basically no one in the world knew what an idiot I had been. A situation that remained until right now. There is definitely something wrong with me.

And, with that introduction, I give you Fascination, with the original phrase intact.

BTW, in looking up the lyrics, I see that the common sites have the phrase “Tick” in this spot, which is also definitely not correct. So maybe I get a small piece of a pass.

http://youtu.be/w7Rq9gXL8aY

Oh, and supposedly Mr. Bowie has never performed this song in concert. It’s actually pretty hard to sing, but I guess I am one up on the Thin White Duke, at least in a very small way.

Markwo
09-11-2014, 05:21 PM
These were my very first ukes I purchased them here in Portland from a gentleman who had a collection of about 12 for sale. I chose these two as the best players. I am happy to pass them on in this fashion to a new admirer.
I'm in love with both of these ukes!

Phluffy the Destroyer
09-11-2014, 08:09 PM
**BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS**

I recorded this back in May, but since there seems to be a collection of Bad Moon Rising covers in the making I thought post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVNtjcCEig&list=UUSMhUNXAPzA2g3pxLvDYhPA

Lumpy Wafflesquirt
09-11-2014, 10:13 PM
I only have one first hand mondegreen, in 2 little boys, I'm sure it is "long years passed, walking so fast". Not sure if it would be frowned on to do one of his tunes.
I looked on the list and found this one ..... " his dog often died, yes it often died" and "he crapped his pants a better stance"

The light is as bit funny as I recorded it late in the evening by the light of a 40 watt lightbulb :-(

http://youtu.be/zDGQuK8JvLI

Joko
09-12-2014, 02:44 AM
My humble contribution to Week 134 has my typical f'ups: moments in the video where I say 'whoops!' and change the chord, an inability to hit those high notes in the singing part and stuttering and weird sentence construction in my intro. That said, I'm proud of this video! Like many intermediate level uke players, I've been reluctant to venture up the fretboard to explore alternate fingerings for familiar chords... but I went up the fretboard here!

That said, the theme this week gave me an opportunity to f'up in new ways. My intention at the start was to sing this song in the way I had originally misheard it back in the early 80's. Instead, I sang the correct lyrics. I correctly mistook them in later choruses. This is not Disco Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7JWL3f5wQ&feature=youtu.be

bonesigh
09-12-2014, 03:23 AM
I hope this fits the "Hilarious Mondegreen playlist" from back in Season 81 but done long before that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6243-okrUq0&list=UUtvw_jkcOb--odK8_2JYyvw

mythinformed
09-12-2014, 06:07 AM
I've been without the Internet all week waiting for a replacement router so gonna have to try and find me an entry now its just arrived eeeeeek.

One I've been looking at but won't be doing because I can't get my head around the vocals is ' I can see Deirdre now Lorraine has gone' aka 'I can see clearly now the rain has gone' .............so if anyones stuck for ideas, go for it !!

librainian
09-12-2014, 07:59 AM
Finally got a new phone (with a MUCH better camera.) Still working on getting a new webcam/computer so, until then, this will do NICELY.

A BUNCH of you guys did this one, and I just couldn't help but throwing myself into that pot, so to speak. I love this song to death, and it used to be on my performance/party playlist when i used to do guita... big, bass ukulele stuff in college.

Enjoy Bad Moon Rising, by CCR

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyNuVRds2Wg (youtube;DyNuVRds2Wg)

That phone does a pretty good job!. Most phone vids tend to blur the strumming hand too much for my taste. This one seems to be keeping up adequately and the sound is pretty darn good too. What phone is it? Yes this become the sub theme this week I think. Perhaps I should put them on a separate playlist. For now I'll put this on the bonus list and look forward to more from you.

Nice singing and a good strum as well. Many thanks for the bonus Mike!

I just made up another one. Here is my take on "Girl From Ipanema" - I present for your listening pleasure...."Girl With Emphysema"!!!
http://youtu.be/TljXk4WI24Y?list=UUTK55-6QuPUkNonNyGoTW0w (youtube_share;TljXk4WI24Y)

I'm with Berni. This is a hilarious contrast to the smooth and mellow original. The juxtaposition of the familiar refrain with gasping and new lyrics was inspired! Loved it big time! Fantastic playing and singing as always Mark. Many thanks for your second entry this week!

Andy, you take me back, way back, to a particularly embarrassing event in my past. One that had essentially remained unexposed until this moment. Damn you!

In the 70s, I was a big fan of David Bowie – who wasn’t, the guy was on an incredible creative role. I loved his music and listened to it a lot. One minor song on the Young Americans album kind of got in my head. In the song, Bowie says a line at the end of each of the two verses. The second time through, he seemingly said the mysterious phrase “Soul ticket!”.

I was baffled. What the heck was a soul ticket, and how do I get mine punched? I decided it was pure genius and vowed to work it into my life and conversation – to no avail. After about 5 years, it was still stuck in my head, so I made a very primitive T-shirt by painting the words with white fabric paint onto a black shirt. I thought it was way cool and marked me as a very particular type of cognoscenti. (I actually made 2 – the other one had the words “Raw Power”.)

I didn’t wear it that much. The one time I remember was at a social gathering for the training class for my first straight corporate job, thinking they would recognize me for the cool guy I knew I was. Only one guy mentioned it, and when I explained it, he kind of backed away with a slightly horrified look on his face. Mission accomplished, I guess.

OK, flash forward 20 years. The shirt is long gone. But the world had moved into new terrain in terms of affordable audio equipment. I had only previously heard Young Americans on cheap tinny 70s sound systems. I bought the CD of the album and was really grooving on listening to the tracks. I came to the song and heard clearly, for the first time in my life, Bowie say, not “Soul Ticket”, but “So I take it”. Sigh.

My only consolation was that basically no one in the world knew what an idiot I had been. A situation that remained until right now. There is definitely something wrong with me.

And, with that introduction, I give you Fascination, with the original phrase intact.

BTW, in looking up the lyrics, I see that the common sites have the phrase “Tick” in this spot, which is also definitely not correct. So maybe I get a small piece of a pass.

http://youtu.be/w7Rq9gXL8aY (youtube_share;w7Rq9gXL8aY)

Oh, and supposedly Mr. Bowie has never performed this song in concert. It’s actually pretty hard to sing, but I guess I am one up on the Thin White Duke, at least in a very small way.

Fabulous back story to this vid! I'd buy one of those "Soul Ticket" shirts. It's sufficiently vague you could make up any explanation around it. Hey look on the bright side - at least you didn't like it so much you got a tattoo!

I love the new uke too. Great multitrack with the visual effects and the arrangement was pretty sweet. Loved the cool finish. Thanks for your entry!

**BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS**

I recorded this back in May, but since there seems to be a collection of Bad Moon Rising covers in the making I thought post it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVNtjcCEig (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVNtjcCEig)

Wow this is one popular song this week. I'm loving all the different versions. Many thanks for adding to our sub-theme!

I only have one first hand mondegreen, in 2 little boys, I'm sure it is "long years passed, walking so fast". Not sure if it would be frowned on to do one of his tunes.
I looked on the list and found this one ..... " his dog often died, yes it often died" and "he crapped his pants a better stance"

The light is as bit funny as I recorded it late in the evening by the light of a 40 watt lightbulb :-(

http://youtu.be/zDGQuK8JvLI (youtube_share;zDGQuK8JvLI)

Funny how the mind works. I find it fascinating what nonsensical phrases we sometimes accept when our brain lacks clear information. Thanks for your entry sir. I'm glad you could make it to the party!

My humble contribution to Week 134 has my typical f'ups: moments in the video where I say 'whoops!' and change the chord, an inability to hit those high notes in the singing part and stuttering and weird sentence construction in my intro. That said, I'm proud of this video! Like many intermediate level uke players, I've been reluctant to venture up the fretboard to explore alternate fingerings for familiar chords... but I went up the fretboard here!

That said, the theme this week gave me an opportunity to f'up in new ways. My intention at the start was to sing this song in the way I had originally misheard it back in the early 80's. Instead, I sang the correct lyrics. I correctly mistook them in later choruses. This is not Disco Music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jD7JWL3f5wQ (youtube;jD7JWL3f5wQ)

Hahaha! Thanks for the smile with my breakfast this morning.

Joko! Thanks for stretching yourself for this week. Nice work breaking free of first position and dancing up the neck a bit. I loved your energy and enthusiasm which really sell your song this week. Thanks for your entry, warts and all! Amazing. 

BigDaddyUker
09-12-2014, 12:55 PM
So every song I thought of, by the time I got around to it, had already been done. This little mondegreen came to me by accident just today. I was out with my father-in-law who has Alzheimer's and we were listening to Pandora. He likes the inappropriateness I bring to the relationship and we often find ourselves belly laughing at my jokes. Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain came on so as the line - when we kissed goodbye and parted - started to play I puffed up my chest and in my best deep voice sang ... when we kissed goodbye I farted ... we laughed and laughed and laughed.

Well lo and behold I got home and was looking on the website, this song was listed with that as the misheard lyric!!! The word parting appears later in the song so I figured I would replace that with farting but my dogs started barking so I seized the opportunity and sang no barking! I was going to re-record and try some bass walk up and downs but didn't want to lose the barking.

http://youtu.be/xB-XOX_e4UM

UkeCan1 2.0
09-12-2014, 01:06 PM
One I've been looking at but won't be doing because I can't get my head around the vocals is ' I can see Deirdre now Lorraine has gone' aka 'I can see clearly now the rain has gone' .............so if anyones stuck for ideas, go for it !!

That's hilarious! Of course the next line is
"I can see all icicles in my way."

At least that's how I remember it.

(I guess the rain was gone because a big freeze came!)

BigDaddyUker
09-12-2014, 01:57 PM
that's hilarious! Of course the next line is
"i can see all icicles in my way."

at least that's how i remember it.

(i guess the rain was gone because a big freeze came!)

oh i am going for it!

BigDaddyUker
09-12-2014, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestion Wendy!! I love the song and the mishears are pretty funny. I have no personal story with this one...

I can see clearly now the rain is gone ---- I can see Deidre now Lorraine is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way ---- I can see all popsicles in my way
I think I can make it now the pain is gone ---- I think i can make it now Lorraine is gone
Here is the rainbow I've been praying for ---- Deidre's the new girl I've been praying for

http://youtu.be/myVuPKzxz2w

Jazzbanjorex
09-12-2014, 02:38 PM
I've had this discussion with Bird's Eye that like in Harry Potter where the wand chooses the Wizard that in the seasons a lot of times the song chooses the Seasonista. Just this week while this season of misinterpreted lyrics is happening a friend of mine posts on face book "you give love a band aid". Well at a loss for a third song it appears that it came and found me.

So.... Waka waka waka....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzHujWkilQ&feature=youtu.be

BigDaddyUker
09-12-2014, 02:54 PM
I've had this discussion with Bird's Eye that like in Harry Potter where the wand chooses the Wizard that in the seasons a lot of times the song chooses the Seasonista. Just this week while this season of misinterpreted lyrics is happening a friend of mine posts on face book "you give love a band aid". Well at a loss for a third song it appears that it came and found me.

I had the very same thing happen to me today - the song found me!

Jazzbanjorex
09-12-2014, 03:08 PM
I had the very same thing happen to me today - the song found me!

Cool Beans. I wondered if more than just Bird's Eye and I have experienced this.

uke4ia
09-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Sometimes songs chase me down and beat me about the head and shoulders.

:uhoh:

uke4ia
09-12-2014, 04:41 PM
More often they force their way into my ears and brain like that insect does to Chekov in "The Wrath of Khan".

09-12-2014, 05:08 PM
Cool Beans. I wondered if more than just Bird's Eye and I have experienced this.
some seasons it feels like i don't have to think of songs at all for myself - lovely seasonistas or my punk expert best pal or my parents think of songs for me - it's great!

More often they force their way into my ears and brain like that insect does to Chekov in "The Wrath of Khan".
so long as it's not like the nasty alien thingy in, uh, "alien"

you think you're ok and then the song bursts out of your ribcage while you're having dinner with friends

grody to the MAX

bonesigh
09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
My "Bad".........
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSbE6_q-eMw&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player I'm singing harmony so you can sing the lead. I know the chords are weird but they work (:

Bad Moon Rising Creedence Clearwater Revival

[F] I see the [C] bad [C7] moon a[F]rising
[F] I see [C] trouble [C7] on the [F] way
[F] I see [C] earth[C7]quakes and [F] lightnin'
[F] I see [C] bad [C7] times to[F]day

[Bb] Don't go around tonight well it's [F] bound to take your life
[C] There's a [Bb] bad moon on the [F] rise

[F] I hear [C] hurri[C7]canes a[F]blowing
[F] I know the [C] end is [C7] coming [F] soon
[F] I fear [C] rivers [C7] over [F] flowing
[F] I hear the [C] voice of [C7] rage and [F] ruin

[F] Hope you [C] got your [C7] things to[F]gether
[F] Hope you are [C] quite pre[C7]pared to [F] die
[F] Looks like we're [C] in for [C7] nasty [F] weather
[F] One eye is [C] taken [C7] for an [F] eye

mythinformed
09-12-2014, 10:52 PM
'Fry Me Some Liver' ...............A bit of salt and pepper, a bit of improvisation chucked in and stir well. (I've tried to emphasise the changed words in the song rather than write them out...........and ....'erm ....they're sung as badly as ever as is per) Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-3aCqq-rQ

TheUkeBloke
09-12-2014, 11:42 PM
A slight twist on this season's theme "misheard the lyrics". Try listening to Bob Dylan's original of this song "Rock Me Mamma", and see if you can understand the words:

Rock Me Mamma, aka, "Wagon Wheel", the original version of Bob Dylan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTsYfjBcuQ).

In 1973 Bob Dylan made this song sketch in the Billy The Kid sessions. Never finished the song but, many years after that, Old Crow Medicine Show used the chorus part and the chord progression in the song Wagon Wheel. This version is before "Old Crow Medicine Show" changed it into "Wagon Wheel".

Well I really liked "Rock Me Mama" in the original version as it was intended, so I listened many times to interpret the words as best I could, then filled in the blanks to make the 2 verses of the original. The last verse I added for good luck, with words that I believe follow the intention of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGYFw2vkgk

UkeCan1
09-13-2014, 03:41 AM
Two Dylans in a row ...

This one's not a real case of misheard lyrics either ... I heard every word. I sang along. I just had no idea what I was singing.

Most of my youth I never really paid attention to lyrics. They were just sounds that fit the music.

Only recently, now that I sing ... and now I feel lyrics quite acutely ... did I notice just how angry this song is.

I also never knew the title of the song, which like most Bob Dylan titles, has nothing whatsoever to do with the song. So, it struck me instantly how "off" this title is ... it's one of the most negative songs ever written ... and has "Positive" in the title!

I call it "Negatively 4th Street".

So, I tweaked the lyrics ever so slightly ... I was amazed how little I needed to change to turn the meaning of the song around 180 degrees to match the title.

So here's my take on "Positively Positively 4th Street":

http://youtu.be/IkUGxonsj1w

UkeCan1
09-13-2014, 04:18 AM
Two Dylans in a row ...

This one's not a real case of misheard lyrics either ... I heard every word. I sang along. I just had no idea what I was singing.

Most of my youth I never really paid attention to lyrics. They were just sounds that fit the music.

Only recently, now that I sing ... and now I feel lyrics quite acutely ... did I notice just how angry this song is.

I also never knew the title of the song, which like most Bob Dylan titles, has nothing whatsoever to do with the song. So, it struck me instantly how "off" this title is ... it's one of the most negative songs ever written ... and has "Positive" in the title!

I call it "Negatively 4th Street".

So, I tweaked the lyrics ever so slightly ... I was amazed how little I needed to change to turn the meaning of the song around 180 degrees to match the title.

So here's my take on "Positively Positively 4th Street":

http://youtu.be/IkUGxonsj1w

Sorry for quoting my own post ... this forum has a habit of totally messing up my post when I edit it, and I just don't want to mess with that this morning. Wanted to add in both versions of the lyrics.

Oops ... I sang the last line wrong ... should be "see you", not "be you".

The intro chords are G Am G Am, and the rest are G Am C G / G-D C-Em D D, repeated throughout.

Here are both sets of lyrics - where they differ, mine are in [square brackets], Dylan's originals are in (parens):
I'm rather proud of how little I had to change, especially the last verse.

You got a lotta [verve] (nerve), [it's so great] (to say) you are my friend
When I was down, [your good cheer got me] (you just stood there) grinning

You got a lotta [verve] (nerve), [you always] (to say you) got a helping hand to lend
You just want [me] to be on the side that's winning

You say I [helped you up] (let you down), you know it's [just] (not) like that
[When] (If) you're so [happy] (hurt), [I love when] (why then don't) you show it

You say you [found] (lost) your faith, [you know] (but) that's (not) where it's at
You had [it all along] (no faith to lose), and [now] you know it

I know the reason, that you [never feel a lack] (talk behind my back)
[That's a juicy, free, abundant] (I used to be among the) crowd you're in with

Do you take me for such a [jewel] (fool), [I'm so glad I made] (to think I'd make) contact
With the one who tries to [share] (hide) [all you ever had] (what he don't know) to begin with

You see me on the street, [you're always so] (you always act) surprised
You say, "How are you?", "Good luck", [and] (but) you [really] (don't) mean it

When you know [all is] (as) well [with] (as) me, [you love to] (you'd rather) see me [in paradise] (paralyzed)
Why don't [we] (you) just come out [as one] (once) and [proclaim] (scream) it

[Yes] (no), I do [really] (not) feel that good, when I see the [hearts that] (heartbreaks) you embrace
If I was a master [of belief] (thief), perhaps I'd [hug] (rob) them

And now I know you're [so satisfied] (dissatisfied), with your position and your [pace] (place)
[I know] (Don't) you understand, [nothing's a] (it's not my) problem

I wish that for just one time, [I] (you) could stand inside [your] (my) shoes
And just for that one moment, I could be you

Yes, I wish that for just one time, you could stand inside my shoes
You'd know what a [joy] (drag) it is to see you

That was fun ... this song used to make me feel icky when we sang it in jam group. Now it makes me happy. The beauty of it is, the lyric changes are so slight, I can sing my version along with people singing the original, and no one will know the difference.

I gotta try that with "Dead Flowers" next. :)

RAB11
09-13-2014, 10:37 AM
Aaaaah can't believe I picked Andrew's week to have a week away! And such great prizes too!

Did a bit of practice on a song while I was away, but it's not particularly convincing as yet. Gonna give it a go in the morning though. Great theme Andrew.

BigDaddyUker
09-13-2014, 11:16 AM
BONUS BONUS BONUS BONUS

I had recorded this for an entry but then saw it had been done. I figured I would throw it up as a bonus.

Again, no personal history with this song. Enjoy the song and thought the mishears were pretty funny. There were multiple so I used them all wherever I could.

I see a bad moon risin - I see a brand new horizon
I see earthquakes and lightnin - I see dairy queens and lightnin
There's a bad moon on the rise - There's a bathroom on the right
There's a bad moon on the rise - There's a fat man on your wife
There's a bad moon on the rise - There's a baboon on your eye

http://youtu.be/9vx2Nw6Fd2E

decaturcomp
09-13-2014, 12:37 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNOetv9RZg

librainian
09-13-2014, 01:39 PM
Thanks RAB, I've been AWOL today but I'll hopefully be caught up by tomorrow. I hope you can make it the the party!

librainian
09-13-2014, 03:24 PM
So every song I thought of, by the time I got around to it, had already been done. This little mondegreen came to me by accident just today. I was out with my father-in-law who has Alzheimer's and we were listening to Pandora. He likes the inappropriateness I bring to the relationship and we often find ourselves belly laughing at my jokes. Blue Eyes Crying in the Rain came on so as the line - when we kissed goodbye and parted - started to play I puffed up my chest and in my best deep voice sang ... when we kissed goodbye I farted ... we laughed and laughed and laughed.

Well lo and behold I got home and was looking on the website, this song was listed with that as the misheard lyric!!! The word parting appears later in the song so I figured I would replace that with farting but my dogs started barking so I seized the opportunity and sang no barking! I was going to re-record and try some bass walk up and downs but didn't want to lose the barking.
http://youtu.be/xB-XOX_e4UM (youtube_share;xB-XOX_e4UM)

Sounds like our Basset hound Marvin. He literally barks orders at us. "You will be feeding me now," or "We will be going to the dog park NOW." etc. It ain't country music til ya gots a hound barking in the background I always say. Thank you for your entry. Nicely played and sung despite your canine saboteur! 

Thanks for the suggestion Wendy!! I love the song and the mishears are pretty funny. I have no personal story with this one...

I can see clearly now the rain is gone ---- I can see Deidre now Lorraine is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way ---- I can see all popsicles in my way
I think I can make it now the pain is gone ---- I think i can make it now Lorraine is gone
Here is the rainbow I've been praying for ---- Deidre's the new girl I've been praying for

http://youtu.be/myVuPKzxz2w (youtube_share;myVuPKzxz2w)

Gimme some candy! Wait that was Sweet Week! Oh yeah still a fun mondegreen send up of this classic Johnny Nash tune. I can't help but be partial to the Jimmy Cliff version though. Nice job and thanks for entry #2 for this week. Cheers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXzHujWkilQ&feature=youtu.be (youtube;MXzHujWkilQ)

That's a fun play on the hook on the classic Bon Jovi tune. The "Wakka Wakka" talk box effect added a certain "je ne sais quoi" to your entry. Thanks Rex for entry three for this week. It's a great one!

'Fry Me Some Liver' ...............A bit of salt and pepper, a bit of improvisation chucked in and stir well. (I've tried to emphasise the changed words in the song rather than write them out...........and ....'erm ....they're sung as badly as ever as is per) Lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X-3aCqq-rQ (youtube;9X-3aCqq-rQ)

I was hoping for something jazzy today and you delivered in spades. Nice and melancholy! Many thanks for your entry this week.

Liver and onions - UGG. Fryin' liver would bring tears to my eyes naturally. I can imagine what it would do to a vegan trying to prove her love for you.

A slight twist on this season's theme "misheard the lyrics". Try listening to Bob Dylan's original of this song "Rock Me Mamma", and see if you can understand the words:

Rock Me Mamma, aka, "Wagon Wheel", the original version of Bob Dylan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNTsYfjBcuQ).

In 1973 Bob Dylan made this song sketch in the Billy The Kid sessions. Never finished the song but, many years after that, Old Crow Medicine Show used the chorus part and the chord progression in the song Wagon Wheel. This version is before "Old Crow Medicine Show" changed it into "Wagon Wheel".

Well I really liked "Rock Me Mama" in the original version as it was intended, so I listened many times to interpret the words as best I could, then filled in the blanks to make the 2 verses of the original. The last verse I added for good luck, with words that I believe follow the intention of the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGYFw2vkgk (youtube;NOGYFw2vkgk)

I enjoyed this as well. I liked the added lyrics and it's a great song I was not familiar with. Thanks for bringing it to the seasons. I'm going to add it to my song list for sure. Cheers David.

Sorry for quoting my own post ... this forum has a habit of totally messing up my post when I edit it, and I just don't want to mess with that this morning. Wanted to add in both versions of the lyrics.

Oops ... I sang the last line wrong ... should be "see you", not "be you".

The intro chords are G Am G Am, and the rest are G Am C G / G-D C-Em D D, repeated throughout.

Here are both sets of lyrics - where they differ, mine are in [square brackets], Dylan's originals are in (parens):
I'm rather proud of how little I had to change, especially the last verse.

That was fun ... this song used to make me feel icky when we sang it in jam group. Now it makes me happy. The beauty of it is, the lyric changes are so slight, I can sing my version along with people singing the original, and no one will know the difference.

I gotta try that with "Dead Flowers" next. :)

Whoah! It's like Bizarro world Dylan! Nice concept Wendy. I enjoyed your rewrite! I'd be curious how "Dead Flowers" turns out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNOetv9RZg (youtube;fKNOetv9RZg)

I'm so glad you could make it to the party Alan! This was played and sung so well! Thanks for joining in the spirit of this season and including the misheard lyrics instead of the original. Super super!

librainian
09-13-2014, 03:27 PM
I think I'm all caught up on the entries and bonuses. If have missed your video on the playlist please let me know! Thanks all for going with the spirit of this weeks theme. The majority of the videos submitted incorporated the misheard lyrics in some fashion. It was not a requirement but it certainly added to the fun factor. Kudos to you all.

I look forward to some more entries. We still have plenty of time for some last minute inspiration.

bonesigh
09-13-2014, 04:30 PM
Here's my one and only for the week. I spent most of my time today messing around, I worked so hard. I ran across a karaoke version of the song I did and it matched up perfectly with mine but the vocals totally refused to sync. So I just went with my playing and singing with no extra "Hey, hey, hey's" or anything. Singing is not too good on this one ):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnnoErbDxBU&amp;feature=youtube_gdata_player

thesillydave
09-13-2014, 07:18 PM
Let's pee in the corner! R.E.M. losing my religion..or Loosen my green ribbon...you choose!

http://youtu.be/zixxZJeBLUI
Oh, life it's bigger, It's bigger than you and you are knock kneed
The lengths that I will go to the distance in your eyes
Oh no I've said too much I've said it up.
let's pee in the corner let's pee in the spot---light loosen my green ribbon
trying to keep up with you and I don't know if I can do it
Oh no I've said too much I haven't said enough
I thought that I heard you laughing I thought that I heard you sing
I think I thought I saw you try
Every whisper of every waking hour I'm choosing my confessions
trying to keep a eye on you like a hurt lost blinded fool, oh oh no I've said too much I said it up.
Consider this, consider this hint of the century consider this a slip
that brougth me to my knees, failed what if all these fantasies
come flaming around now I´ve said too much
That was just a dream, boy that was just a dream,
let's pee in the corner let's pee in the spot---light loosen my green ribbon
trying to keep --a ---view, And I don't know if I can do it,
Oh no I've said too much I haven't said enough
But that was just a dream, to try cry why try?
That was just a dream, just a dream, just a dream , dream

cheers all!

lelouden
09-13-2014, 08:53 PM
Andrew, My song didn't make the playlist. Don't know if that was an oversight or it didn't qualify. Anyway here it is again so you don't have to go hunting.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qriBjLXsplM

librainian
09-14-2014, 05:36 AM
Linda! Of course it counts. I commented and it was on my spreadsheet in the proper place. I must have forgot to click "Add" to the playlist. My apologies! I'm watching it again now (how could I not? It's great!)

wee_ginga_yin
09-14-2014, 09:59 AM
Happy Enchilada song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9DA-u2EhmA)

Once when John Prine was going on stage this lady shouted out for him to play the "Happy Enchilada Song."
Mr Prine thought she had him confused with someone else, but she said no and she sang it to him :)
THe Happy Enchilada was half an inch of water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA07Tx4AWr4

Yeti&Kira
09-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Hey, everyone!
I always wondered what was wrong with whoever wrote this :) I never thought (until a couple of years ago...) I might have misheard the lyrics:
"disco microwave ovens"
"caught some kitchen deliverers", "got some movies, refrigerators", "got some movies, color TVs", "how are your noises"
And, after all, I couldn't believe they sing about "chicks for free"... You don't buy women at all!! :) checks, chips... ...but definitely not "chicks"...

http://youtu.be/iej-4syYXN4

librainian
09-14-2014, 11:03 AM
Here's my one and only for the week. I spent most of my time today messing around, I worked so hard. I ran across a karaoke version of the song I did and it matched up perfectly with mine but the vocals totally refused to sync. So I just went with my playing and singing with no extra "Hey, hey, hey's" or anything. Singing is not too good on this one ):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnnoErbDxBU&feature=youtube_gdata_player (youtube;xnnoErbDxBU)

Sounds like Earle got a dose of instant karma. Bye Eaaaarle! Yeah I'm curious about your main instrument here. It appears to have a large resonator and an unusual body shape. You say you traded for it. Perhaps you can share a picture of it from the front? I'm certainly intrigued by it.

Thanks Janet!

Let's pee in the corner! R.E.M. losing my religion..or Loosen my green ribbon...you choose!
http://youtu.be/zixxZJeBLUI (youtube_share;zixxZJeBLUI)

<LYRICS REDACTED>

cheers all!

Dave, many thanks for covering this REM song which I gather is one of the top misheard lyrics prone songs despite the ridiculous meaning. As far as your arrangement and playing - I particularly liked your picking interludes and the tambourine accompaniment suited the song so well. A entry worthy of your silly moniker sir!

Once when John Prine was going on stage this lady shouted out for him to play the "Happy Enchilada Song."
Mr Prine thought she had him confused with someone else, but she said no and she sang it to him :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA07Tx4AWr4 (youtube;XA07Tx4AWr4)

Rob, this was amazing because (a) you found video of Prine talking about his own experiences mishearing lyrics through his little am radio, and (b) you did a lyrical interpretation of this Prine classic. A super entry! Many thanks for bringing it!

Hey, everyone!
I always wondered what was wrong with whoever wrote this :) I never thought (until a couple of years ago...) I might have misheard the lyrics:
"disco microwave ovens," "caught some kitchen deliverers," "got some movies, refrigerators", "got some movies, color TVs", "how are your noises"

And, after all, I couldn't believe they sing about "chicks for free"... You don't buy women at all!! :) checks, chips... ...but definitely not "chicks"...

http://youtu.be/iej-4syYXN4 (youtube_share;iej-4syYXN4)

What a great cover of this monster hit from Knopfler and Co. Knopfler has never been what I considered a good singer - he always let his guitar do the singing for him. In fact his frequent mumbling delivery makes your misheard lyrics completely understandable. Thanks for your amusing example.

I loved, loved the melodica riff - that was simply inspired. Well done Kira. Yeti, great job with the singing and playing as well. I've always found the timing of the song and the meter of the lyrics particularly hard to keep on beat and you did an outstanding job with it. Well done both of you and many thanks for your fabulous entry!

There's still time to join the party and bring us home in style before midnight tonight hawaii time. Thank you all for your work so far. I've enjoyed every minute.

mattydee
09-14-2014, 12:09 PM
Here's my entry:

http://youtu.be/XFGTVgvrxKk

Since I was a kid, I always thought "How my poor heart aches" was "I'm a pool-hall ace." It's hard to say why. I'm not sure when I learned the real lyric, but I thought it so completely that I even misremembered the video as having Sting in a fedora in a smoky pool hall. This is not what actually happened in the video, which I only discovered this week, when I went back to watch it to prove to my wife why it wasn't so weird for me to have thought Sting was wailing about his gambling prowess and gamesmanship in the middle of a song about stalking. Anyway... Kissthisguy.com says I'm not alone, so there's that.

I tried a new recording setup today, as I wanted some delay and reverb for the track at different levels for vocals and uke. So i ran everything through the Fender Acoustasonic amp, then pointed the Blue Yeti at the amp to record to the computer. Not sure I have the kinks worked out yet.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
09-14-2014, 01:48 PM
I couldn't think of a particular song for which I had the wrong lyrics---probably because I'm still singing the wrong lyrics for all those songs---but my wife, Jessica, could. As a child listening to the Beatles, she heard John Lennon singing the line "Curse these walls around me," rather than "Curse Sir Walter Raleigh." For my money, both lines get Lennon's bitterness across. Nice lyric, Jessica.

http://youtu.be/z8M4hlB1Ba8

Phluffy the Destroyer
09-14-2014, 07:08 PM
Second and final entry for this Season... I had a third song that I just didn't have time for. Such is life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbIXgJ4S8o

There are about 10 pages of misheard lyrics here (http://www.kissthisguy.com/search_results.php?SearchType=Song&SearchAccuracy=is&SearchTerm=hotel+california).

bonesigh
09-15-2014, 04:53 AM
Wow, thanks Wee for turning me onto John Prine! What a fantastic songwriter!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA07Tx4AWr4

librainian
09-15-2014, 05:05 AM
Welp... Another season bites the dust as it were. I'd like to thank everyone who participated this week. You all joined in the spirit of this season with the usual seasons enthusiasm and aplomb so well done!

I have a few last minute entries to watch and comment on, then I will be reviewing all entries over the next few days and will announce winners by Wednesday or Thursday. I'd like to get prizes posted by Friday.

librainian
09-15-2014, 09:26 AM
Wow, thanks Wee for turning me onto John Prine! What a fantastic songwriter!!

What you haven't heard "Let's Talk Dirty In Hawaiian" as a classic uke song? I think Wendy and FiL did a version a while back. I think we have had seasons covers of "Hello In There" and "Christmas In Prison" too. Anyway enjoy all the cool songs. He tells some great stories.

librainian
09-15-2014, 09:50 AM
Here's my entry:

http://youtu.be/XFGTVgvrxKk (youtube_share;XFGTVgvrxKk)

Since I was a kid, I always thought "How my poor heart aches" was "I'm a pool-hall ace." It's hard to say why. I'm not sure when I learned the real lyric, but I thought it so completely that I even misremembered the video as having Sting in a fedora in a smoky pool hall. This is not what actually happened in the video, which I only discovered this week, when I went back to watch it to prove to my wife why it wasn't so weird for me to have thought Sting was wailing about his gambling prowess and gamesmanship in the middle of a song about stalking. Anyway... Kissthisguy.com says I'm not alone, so there's that.

I tried a new recording setup today, as I wanted some delay and reverb for the track at different levels for vocals and uke. So i ran everything through the Fender Acoustasonic amp, then pointed the Blue Yeti at the amp to record to the computer. Not sure I have the kinks worked out yet.

Wow this is a great arrangement and your singing is always top notch. A great cover of this Police song from the year I graduated high school. I think I had this song on continuous play on the Walkman that year. Thanks for this excellent rendition!

I couldn't think of a particular song for which I had the wrong lyrics---probably because I'm still singing the wrong lyrics for all those songs---but my wife, Jessica, could. As a child listening to the Beatles, she heard John Lennon singing the line "Curse these walls around me," rather than "Curse Sir Walter Raleigh." For my money, both lines get Lennon's bitterness across. Nice lyric, Jessica.

http://youtu.be/z8M4hlB1Ba8 (youtube_share;z8M4hlB1Ba8)

OMG I STILL thought it was "curse these walls around me" I can't believe it! I suppose If I had ever tried to play it I would have realized my mistake. Nice Job Ralf. I appreciate your contribution despite all the new school year craziness. Cheers!

Second and final entry for this Season... I had a third song that I just didn't have time for. Such is life...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRbIXgJ4S8o (youtube;WRbIXgJ4S8o)

There are about 10 pages of misheard lyrics here (http://www.kissthisguy.com/search_results.php?SearchType=Song&SearchAccuracy=is&SearchTerm=hotel+california).

I hear you on the week thing. I've been meaning to back and record some of prior entries which I can play MUCH better now than I could at the time. Is that revisionist? Ok, on to your song!

I liked your picking pattern. It fits the timing of the song so well! I'm going to give that a try as soon as I can get a uke in my hands today. I think you did a great arrangement given the limitation of time and "talent" as you said. I think it was sweetly played and sung. Nice job!

The Eagles are YT Nazis as some of us have experienced but I watched it several times and made my notes just in case you have to take it down unexpectedly. Give it a watch people it's worth it!

Well that's a wrap people.

I think we had 51 official entries and a number of bonuses including a slew of "Bad Moon Rising" versions which were all awesome. Thanks again to everyone who participated. Now go watch 'em all!

UkeCan1
09-15-2014, 10:26 AM

Yeah, I heard "pool-hall ace" too. And "every bough you break".

mattydee
09-15-2014, 11:24 AM
Yeah, I heard "pool-hall ace" too. And "every bough you break".

I think it's because in the States, we tend to pronounce poor so that it rhymes with four, but across the pond (and in certain US dialects), it rhymes with lure, so "pool" is an easy miss there.

I like every bough you break. A little stalker lullaby.

UkeCan1
09-15-2014, 01:45 PM
I think it's because in the States, we tend to pronounce poor so that it rhymes with four, but across the pond (and in certain US dialects), it rhymes with lure, so "pool" is an easy miss there.

I like every bough you break. A little stalker lullaby.

Good point. Not to mention they don't pronounce their "R's", like in "poor" and "heart".

Surely it was a stalker song already? Having him breaking trees just adds to the atmosphere. I really did think it said that. Oh wait ... it's the stalk-ee breaking the trees. She's running through the forest trying to hide from him, maybe. You're right, that is so much worse.

Barbablanca
09-16-2014, 11:04 AM
I guess I didn't make the playlist because this week I posted to Vimeo, right? Sigh. The Google/Youtube monopoly strikes again!

librainian
09-16-2014, 11:16 AM
If I could figure out a way to embed it.... I tried though! I have an idea though. I will put a link to yours in the playlist description. Top billing see? I shared it in a Google+ description as well. It's the best I can manage I'm afraid.

Thanks Berni!

Jazzbanjorex
09-16-2014, 02:46 PM
Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moTdodPGcEY&feature=youtu.be

redpaul1
09-17-2014, 10:27 PM

weigh a pie :)

redpaul1
09-17-2014, 10:28 PM
Hallelujah!
Israeli men!

redpaul1
09-17-2014, 10:33 PM
... Lorraine has gone

http://www.soothetube.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/all.jpg

09-18-2014, 11:48 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3bbsDJWlXQ

librainian
09-18-2014, 04:11 PM
Here's the wrap up and prize winners for Season 134. There are a number of special mentions this week.

http://youtu.be/w86HsNCxQbs

First Place: MattyDee for "Every Breathe You Take" - The Police

Second Place: Erivel for "Alex Chilton" - The Replacements

Third Place: Markwo for "Girl With Emphysema" and "Purple Haze"

numerous honorable mentions

Matt and Eric please contact me so we can get the two ukes allocated and shipped. We have had some "donations" in past seasons so if you prefer to pass this on to another Seasonista who participated this week let me know via PM as well.

Phluffy the Destroyer
09-18-2014, 04:36 PM
Congratulations to all the winners.

lelouden
09-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Wonderful post Andrew and congrats to the deserving winners. Thanks for the special mention too. It means a lot:)

ukuleledaddy
09-18-2014, 07:02 PM
Great season Andrew and a fun, unique theme! Congrats winners!!

mythinformed
09-18-2014, 07:20 PM
Well done winners and all who participated.

09-18-2014, 08:08 PM
great wrap vid, super season, so many great vids this week, thank you so much for the fab theme and super hosting, big congrats to the winners!

frisbee fred
09-19-2014, 03:13 AM
Great closing video Andrew and a great Season. You are the host with the most!

Markwo
09-19-2014, 04:08 AM
Thanks Andrew for a great Season and for being such a generous host!

mattydee
09-19-2014, 01:20 PM
Wow! Thanks, Andrew! And congrats to the other winners and shout-outs, and all, really for contributing to a fantastic season - inspired theme.

Gosh, it's also my 1000th post! I'm so grateful to have been with the seasons since the beginning and spend 1000 posts (give or take) over here with you kids. You're the tops.

PhillyV
09-20-2014, 11:51 AM
So I'm totally late getting this in. But here goes.

http://youtu.be/MzxLjaPGuI8

librainian
09-22-2014, 07:21 AM
Thanks to Phil for the late bonus entry. I put it on the main playlist because it sounds great!

I have now shipped all the prizes to the Matt, Eric and Mark so this concludes Season 134. Thanks again to all the participants. You are all winners in my book!

09-22-2014, 01:36 PM
thanks again for such a great season