Season 134 - "Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy"

UkerDrew

Reaction score
Greetings fellow Seasonista’s and welcome to Season 134, entitled “Excuse Me While I Kiss This Guy” This is of course one famously wrong interpretation of a lyric from the Jimi Hendrix classic “Purple Haze” I think you know where I am going with this.

All of us must have some famous song where we misheard the lyrics and perhaps learned much later what the actual lyric was. Rock singers in particular are notoriously bad at enunciation, but poor diction is rampant throughout all genres of music. Your mission this week is to share one or more of these amusing misinterpretations with us, preferably with an amusing anecdote.

**IMPORTANT**
You don’t have to PLAY the song with the incorrect lyrics! Just include the misheard lyric(s) in your UU post or description. If you DO want to use the incorrect lyrics for comic effect, go for it!

If this has never happened to you, first off - WOW you have amazing powers of concentration and excellent hearing. If so, then you may choose any song from a website like this one!

http://www.kissthisguy.com/

RULES
I selected this theme because of its inclusive nature. Any genre (except instrumental of course) would work for this season. Multitracks are fine. I am looking for the best combination of creativity in your arrangement, playing, singing and style. Please keep your uke front and center, mention the season somewhere in your video etc.

Only three official entries per person please. I will comment and score on up to three vids from each of you to go on the official playlist. I will assume each entry you submit is official unless you specifically state it is a bonus. Bonus songs I will put on a separate playlist and I may, or may not comment on these as time allows.

Official go time is 12:01 am Sunday 9/7 and ends at the traditional 11:59:59 PM Hawaii time the following Sunday.

SCORING
Each of you will get one combined score comprised from the categories I mentioned. This means you can spend most of your time on one killer video or spread your efforts on more. If you do post multiple entries, you keep your BEST score in each category from all your videos. I will not be posting scores, just announcing the winners.

In the likely event of a tie score I will probably go with the most amusing anecdote or lyric as the tie breaker so make ‘em funny!

PRIZES
I will be picking 3 winners, 1st place gets first pick from these two lovely 50’s era Harmony ukes in a new polyfoam case. 2nd place gets the other other uke, and third place will receive an Amazon gift code for $20 towards strings or whatever else floats your boat. These Harmony’s are the typical birch construction with the molded fretboard and plastic friction tuners. The dark one is a bit louder than the lighter one, which has a sweet and mellow sound. Like most vintage Harmony’s these sound better tuned to ADF#B. They did not intonate well with standard GCEA tuning.
This will be my first time hosting so I will do my best to hold up the high standard established by previous hosts. Have fun!

Official Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV87R5ThRVKh8NbnPCeLo_vHd0YJrLg76

Bonus Playlist
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV87R5ThRVKiuoN9XwieS7hOqZKsXkGmh

Hilarious Mondegreen Parodies
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLV87R5ThRVKjajCO6KfDkt8-S6IWNreRQ

Attachments

• 2014-09-06 11.57.37.jpg
    2014-09-06 11.57.37.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 2014-09-06 11.57.49.jpg
    2014-09-06 11.57.49.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 69
  • 2014-09-06 11.58.02.jpg
    2014-09-06 11.58.02.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 57
  • 2014-09-06 11.58.24.jpg
    2014-09-06 11.58.24.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 64
  • 2014-09-06 11.58.35.jpg
    2014-09-06 11.58.35.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
o

m

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

super generous prize alert SUPER GENEROUS PRIZE ALERT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and...

what a great theme!!!!!!!!!!

the funny thing is, i had a misheard lyrics problem with one of my own songs this week! one of my own homemade song-type-things - "ain't she sweet (she's so sweet yeah)" for myrna's season - so it cannot be said i didn't KNOW the lyric, for heaven's sake, i WROTE the lyric!

but despite the fact i wrote it as "she's so sweet yeah"

and sang it as "she's so sweet yeah"

i swear to goodness that on the last repeat (of about ooh a gazillion!) and on the very last line of the song

when i play the vid it sounds exactly like "she sells sweets yeah"

but then, you know........... maybe she does!

great theme andrew and super awesome prizes!

:bowdown:

Great theme Andy, this happens to me all the time with songs for the season, where my idea of the lyrics is incorrect in some way. I usually like my version better of course and go with that...
for example, Aimee Mann's "31 Today" mentions

...Drinking Guiness in the afternoon
Seeking shelter in the black cocoon

I prefer

...Seeking shelter in the black lagoon

Dont you?

Got it! My wife and I each have a tune with a strange misheard lyric. Looking forward to it, Andrew! Right after I get something sweet n for Myrna.

In folk music there is a name for misheard lyrics. It's called a "Mondegreen".

It comes from an article by a folk lore scholar who published an article on the subject referring to someone who had misheard

"Laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen" :)

Most of my entries contain wrong lyrics anyway mainly because I don't clean my glass lens enough (I'm as blind as a bat) and the auto scrolls moving too fast .........I usually leave the blips and slips in because If I do more than a couple of takes it becomes a chore and it loses the fun aspect for me.......and ........ummm......well .....I'm just lazy !! :p

Grand theme and exceptionally generous prizes you bring to us Andrew.

One of our best British comedians Peter Kay has covered this topic in his act (its hilarious)...........

Last edited:

I prefer

Dont you?

Since Guiness is black... then black lagoon is better... drowning your
sorrows in a black lagoon of beer.

OK - I don't remember correct or incorrect lyrics and the only one that came to mind was there's a bathroom to the right
Well the right is not my leaning and I have done that song before so I went on the www and found that Norwegian Wood gets a mention so that is the song I've done.
Beatles', "Norwegian Wood"
Misheard Lyrics:
I once hurt a girl, or should I say she once hurt me.
Original Lyrics:
I once had a girl, or should I say she once had me.

The Beatles', "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"
Misheard Lyrics:
And when I awoke I was alone, whispered in foam
Original Lyrics:
And when I awoke I was alone, this bird had flown

Just straight as it comes.

This is a song that Bono wrote when his father passed away. I really like the song but never attempted it as I think his vocals are really great in the original. I had to go down two whole steps just to be able to sing this. And I totally have no idea what I am doing in the bridge, I should probably have listened to the original before recording. I actually came up with recording this song by following the link Andrew gave in the intro.
While reading the lyrics I realised I always sing:
It is you and I in the mirror, it is you and I go pick up the phone.
Where it should be:
It is you when I look in the mirror, It is you when I don't pick up the phone (which actually makes more sense ;)).

While reading the lyrics I realised I always sing:
It is you and I in the mirror, it is you and I go pick up the phone.
Where it should be:
It is you when I look in the mirror, It is you when I don't pick up the phone (which actually makes more sense ;)).

Well, there's a bet with myself that I just lost... :)

Shake Marilyn Monroe

Big Joe Turner song that became a sanitised hit Bill Haley and his Comets.

Without a doubt the best "Mondagreen" video ever is this one:

Enjoy!

In folk music there is a name for misheard lyrics. It's called a "Mondegreen".

It comes from an article by a folk lore scholar who published an article on the subject referring to someone who had misheard

"Laid him on the green" as "Lady Mondegreen" :)

Perfect! I knew this had been discussed before but I could not recall it! Many thanks Geoff, that's it exactly!

Misunderstood Song Lyric for Season (134) of the Ukulele. The Clash “White Riot” (or misheard as “Why Rye?” by YouTuber Samthelima - I put a link to his excellent video at bottom)

actual lyrics on left (misheard lyrics in parentheses):

White riot - I want to riot (Why rye? I want a rye)
White riot - a riot of my own (Why rye? Arapahoe)
White riot - I want to riot (Why rye? I want a rye)
White riot - a riot of my own (Why rye? Arapahoe)

Black people gotta lot a problems (Pacman got a lot of brothers)
But they don't mind throwing a brick (but NATO buy your bridge)
White people go to school (why do people go to school)
Where they teach you how to be thick (for me to have lunatics)

An' everybody's doing (everybody’s gluing)
Just what they're told to (just forty four two)
An' nobody wants (now I want)
To go to jail! (to go to jail)

All the power's in the hands (all the power in the hags)
Of people rich enough to buy it (up the pole that’s enough to buy it)
While we walk the street (why would you want plastique?)
Too chicken to even try it (to kick it and to even fry it)

Everybody's doing (everybody do it)
Just what they're told to (just poke yourself sue)
Nobody wants (now Buddy wants)
To go to jail! (to grow a tail)

Are you taking over (I’m taking over)
Or are you taking orders? (or I’m taking honors)
Are you going backwards (fire going backwards)
Or are you going forwards? (an oreo in power)

here's a link to Sam's hilarious video animation of his misheard lyrics:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKEz4OvgWZo

Last edited:
Great theme.

I went to a song writing workshop the other day where the term mondegreen was explained to me as follows.

"a mondegreen is the term for misheard song lyrics that give rise to new words or meanings. Sylvia Wright coined the term in an essay for Harper’s in 1954, recounting a frequent mishearing of a lyric from “The Bonny Earl O’Moray” that she experienced as a child: “Laid him on the green,” to her young ear, became “Lady Mondegreen.” (Other frequently cited, if not quite current, mondegreens include, “Secret Asian man,” “Chicken to ride” and “ ’Scuse me while I kiss this guy.”

"I cornered a tramp" comes to mind, and the one my wife and I both remember from childhood "killed imself in a bar when he was only three, Davy, Davy Crocket, King of the wild frontier". Well, it made sense to a 4 year old.

Last edited:
Great theme Andy, this happens to me all the time with songs for the season, where my idea of the lyrics is incorrect in some way. I usually like my version better of course and go with that...
for example, Aimee Mann's "31 Today" mentions

I prefer

Dont you?

I do PeeWee I do!!

Got it! My wife and I each have a tune with a strange misheard lyric. Looking forward to it, Andrew! Right after I get something sweet n for Myrna.

I'm glad you have something in mind right off the bat!

Most of my entries contain wrong lyrics anyway mainly because I don't clean my glass lens enough (I'm as blind as a bat) and the auto scrolls moving too fast .........I usually leave the blips and slips in because If I do more than a couple of takes it becomes a chore and it loses the fun aspect for me.......and ........ummm......well .....I'm just lazy !! :p

Grand theme and exceptionally generous prizes you bring to us Andrew.

One of our best British comedians Peter Kay has covered this topic in his act (its hilarious)...........

Loved this! Thanks for getting us in the mood and some creative juices flowing here.

Without a doubt the best "Mondagreen" video ever is this one:

Enjoy!

That's outstanding! Joe Cocker is indeed a rich vein for misheard lyrics. Once you see the written mondegreens you can't even hear the original lyric if you ever could. Inspired!

Great theme.

I went to a song writing workshop the other day where the term mondegreen was explained to me as follows.

"a mondegreen is the term for misheard song lyrics that give rise to new words or meanings. Sylvia Wright coined the term in an essay for Harper’s in 1954, recounting a frequent mishearing of a lyric from “The Bonny Earl O’Moray” that she experienced as a child: “Laid him on the green,” to her young ear, became “Lady Mondegreen.” (Other frequently cited, if not quite current, mondegreens include, “Secret Asian man,” “Chicken to ride” and “ ’Scuse me while I kiss this guy.”

"I cornered a tramp" comes to mind, and the one my wife and I both remember from childhood "killed imself in a bar when he was only three, Davy, Davy Crocket, King of the wild frontier". Well, it made sense to a 4 year old.

I love the term and the examples. Thanks for adding to the hilarity!

Last edited:
Bravo, Andrew, for such a clever theme! It's brilliant.

in the film "jumpin' jack flash" there is a scene where whoopi goldberg tries to decipher the lyrics of the song, thinking they contain a secret message. she tries to sing along, but gets stuck on what she thinks is the "i was raised by two lesbians" line, and has to try another way to crack the code!

i had a listen to the song today and wrote down the lyrics as they sounded to me - rather like i do every time i go looking for a song for the seasons! (you cannot always trust the lyrics you find online!) i checked my lyrics against what there is online, and i think i did MOSTLY ok - i definitely agree with whoopi about the lesbians, although it sounded to me like they were blessed!

here is my take... i've put my dodgy lyrics in capitals (with the ALLEGEDLY correct version in brackets)

i'm not saying my lyrics are wrong... i'm just saying they didn't quite match the general consensus i could find on lyrics sites! ;)

watch it

i was born in a CLASS FIVE hurricane (cross-fire hurricane)
and i howled at my ma in the driving rain
but it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
but it's all right, i'm jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas gas gas

i was raised by TWO BLESSED LESBIANS (by a toothless, bearded hag)
i was NUDE (i was schooled) with a strap right across my back
well, it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
well, it's all right, i'm jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas gas gas

i was BROWNED (drowned) i was washed up and left for AN ASS (left for dead)
i fell down to my feet, and i STOLE THEIR PLATES (i saw they bled) yeah yeah
i frowned, AND I BIT OFF a crust of bread (i frowned at a crust of bread)
i was DROWNED with a spike right through my head, oh yeah yeah (i was crowned with)

but it's all right now, in fact it's a gas
well it's all right, i'm jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas gas gas

jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas
jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas, yeah
jumpin' jack flash, it's a gas, yeah

Last edited:
I always thought the "Jai Guru Deva Om " line was just some gibberish about kangaroos until I saw it in print, probably 20 years and a million listens later . The Beatles "Across the Universe " is a lovely song, maybe I'll do it.

Words are flowing out like endless rain into a paper cup
They slither wildly as they slip away across the universe
Pools of sorrow, waves of joy are drifting through my opened mind
Possessing and caressing me
Jai Guru Deva OM

Top Bottom