KoAloha Sceptre Tenor with Low G

jotto

Reaction score
Hey All,

Just curious if anyone has experience playing the KoAloha Sceptre (in particular the Tenor) with Low G? I know this uke is generally strung reentrant and that's what most people say sounds best, but I'm just curious if anyone has tried it as a low G (or even has sound samples). I've been wanting a Sceptre for some time and might have the chance to get one soon. I play both low and high G but tend to lean towards low G. While I know it won't be as warm as the standard Tenor, I'm just curious how different the sound is. I just can't think of another Uke that I've been quite as drawn to as the Sceptre.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Hey All,

Just curious if anyone has experience playing the KoAloha Sceptre (in particular the Tenor) with Low G? I know this uke is generally strung reentrant and that's what most people say sounds best, but I'm just curious if anyone has tried it as a low G (or even has sound samples). I've been wanting a Sceptre for some time and might have the chance to get one soon. I play both low and high G but tend to lean towards low G. While I know it won't be as warm as the standard Tenor, I'm just curious how different the sound is. I just can't think of another Uke that I've been quite as drawn to as the Sceptre.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Nope. My father-in-law has the holy grail of Sceptres--a tenor Sceptre made from spruce and macassar ebony. I asked Paul about putting low g strings on it, as my father in law is used to playing guitar for the last 60+ years.

He said I could, but it would be like putting regular gasoline in a dragster. And on his personal ukes, he prefers low g to re-entrant, but for a Sceptre he would never string it that way.

I did this, and didn't like it at all. It sounded like a rubber band, and the Sceptre seemed to lose its character. I'd advise you to at least try it, as I used Worth strings so others might be different. However I won't be doing it again.

I did this, and didn't like it at all. It sounded like a rubber band, and the Sceptre seemed to lose its character. I'd advise you to at least try it, as I used Worth strings so others might be different. However I won't be doing it again.

I never did it just on Paul Okami's advice, but I'm glad to see that someone has, to confirm what he was talking about.

Oh I dunno, I have a pineapple Sunday with a high g, and a sepctre with a low g, and I like it just fine.

You can check it out for yourself here.

This one sounds pretty good to me (amped though). The player, Jason Arimoto, has his own brand of strings PhD.

And they are available right here on the UU Merch Store, only $3.50 for a single low G to see if you like it or $10 for a set.

http://ukeunderground.bigcartel.com/category/strings

This one sounds pretty good to me (amped though). The player, Jason Arimoto, has his own brand of strings PhD.

And they are available right here on the UU Merch Store, only $3.50 for a single low G to see if you like it or $10 for a set.

Well, he did design his strings especially for a Sceptre, so that makes a difference, I'm sure.

I have a Koaloha macassar ebony/spruce top tenor/ebony fretboard and crown bridge/signed by Papa on the inside with the high G. I have thought about putting a low G on it but can't make myself do it yet because is sounds so fantastic as it is!

Thanks so much for the replies everyone. This has been very helpful. And thanks so much for the videos Olarte and geetee, also very helpful. Hmm, sounds like some different opinions on this one. In the long run it would be great to have two KoAlohas, a Sceptre and probably the standard Tenor (which I would keep low G). But if I can get just one right now, I'd have a hard time not getting a Sceptre. I've wanted that Uke since the first time I saw a picture of it. And since I currently play Low G in an ensemble group, that would be the plan at least for the time being. Decisions, decisions...

Top Bottom