Uas.

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I know I'm probably gonna "catch-it" for this but here goes. Wouldn't it be better to stop buying all these $200-$250 Ukes, save all the $250s for four or five months and then buy a Kamaka or something? One could learn a lot (some) in that time and would really appreciate an extra nice Uke. Would you rather have 5 so-so Ukes or one really great one? :eek:ld:

Hey, Reciprocating Richard, what has logical thinking got to do with UAS? My dream uke was always a Martin style 1. When I got one, four years ago, did it stop me wanting more ukes? It did not. So now I've got several great ukes, some good ones, and a couple of beaters.

My UAS is in remission, but could flare up at any time.

John Colter.

I bought so-so ukes for a while, then sold them as I went on to something else. (I made a spread sheet for when I bought and sold them.) I discovered that when I got to where I had a very few really nice ukes, my UAS stopped, and now I rarely look at ukes for sale. Many people need to try and buy to know for sure what their taste is.

I understand, but think of the really nice one you could have if you hadn't bought those beaters. I said, on one of these threads, that when I got really good I was gonna get a Boatpaddle. But the chances of that are pretty slim. My money is safe.

Why "Reciprocating Richard"? Strange . . . :eek:ld:

They weren't beaters by any means—they were mid-priced factory-made ukes that each had its own attraction. Until you have both a koa and a mahogany uke, for example, you don't know how different they sound. I had a couple customs made, but I liked one and not the other. You don't know until you have it in your hands. Sometimes the idea of a $900 uke you haven't played is overwhelming to a buyer.

No, no GinnyT11, I wasn't calling yours beaters. I was talking to ukantor. Somehow, you got between us.

Yes, you're right. That's why I don't like to buy things through the mail. When we were overseas we usta buy things through the mail a lot. It took a long time to get them, and lots of times we didn't like them. I'd rather pay a bit more and be satisfied with my purchase. :eek:ld:

If you want the Boatpaddle, then save up and get the BP. It looks like you have enough variety that you aren't likely to find something significantly different in the low-to-mid range. I am still in the "buy to see what you like" phase but I'm thinking I can find what I like in the mid-to-upper-mid range.

I agree with buying the uke you want if the funds are there. I don't understand the concept of "deserving" a better uke when the ability is there.

Reciprocate - "move backwards and forwards in a straight line". Reciprocating Richard = Down Up Dick.

My "nice" ukes are both in the 300 dollar range. I have one in each size - soprano, concert, tenor. I also tried a different wood with each purchase. Now that I know the concert size is my sweet spot, I want to eventually get a Kamaka koa concert and I'm asking Santa for a Blackbird Clara this Christmas. I'll pretty much be finished shopping then.

I think it all stems from what you enjoy. If you like a lot of choice, different woods, different hardware, different sounds, then owning several ukuleles is a lot of fun. If you want that and you're on a budget, then you can still have a ton of fun within means. Some folks would enjoy having one $1,400.00 professional ukulele. Other folks would rather have that money spread across several very well made, yet less expensive ukes.

Perhaps, those with many ukuleles, many woods, different looks and all the bling, would look at someone with one expensive ukulele and think of it as being limiting.

If I could sell all three of my ukuleles right now, and then go and purchase the Clara I want, I would say no thanks. I'm not wanting to give up what I have. I love my Ohana cedar/rosewood concert. It plays like a dream for me. I played a K brand at a uke meeting in another town. It had a nice sound, quite mellow. But I wouldn't have traded my Ohana for it at that moment. Maybe if it had been the Kamaka concert my heart is set on...

Last edited:
I know I'm probably gonna "catch-it" for this but here goes. Wouldn't it be better to stop buying all these $200-$250 Ukes, save all the $250s for four or five months and then buy a Kamaka or something? One could learn a lot (some) in that time and would really appreciate an extra nice Uke. Would you rather have 5 so-so Ukes or one really great one? :eek:ld:

I agree completely. But then I've been accused of being a uke snob, so... there's that. But for me it's not just ukes; I'd rather have just one nice (whatever the item is) than a whole flock of mediocre (whatevers).

I agree with buying the uke you want if the funds are there. I don't understand the concept of "deserving" a better uke when the ability is there.

Neither do I, and moreover, I still believe that my playing progressed better and faster as soon as I got my first good uke. Maybe it's all an illusion, but I think the more fun/pleasant/easier it is to play, the more one will play, and playing more will just make one a better player. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it, anyway :)

Most of my private students get to a point where they deserve and really need a better instrument. It happens. They plateau on the instrument they have. I have "the talk" with their parents. They realize it is an investment. But, they are paying for lessons and already making an investment, so they want to keep going. I've seen kids get a Kamaka equivelent clarinet/flute in their hands and they have such a musical growth spurt. It is amazing. Maybe it is just the mindset that they can do more, or maybe they really have been held back on that student horn. Whatever it is, it has happened every time for my students. And, I do believe they deserve that horn. They've earned that horn. I want them to have that better horn. I once had a private student who couldn't really afford a professional clarinet, but she was beyond ready. It was time. Everyone in our band circle helped make that happen, some in small ways and some in bigger ways. She still has that clarinet. She still plays it. She still kicks butt with it. And she is now a private lesson teacher. Sorry to wax poetic, but once I get started..... oy...

Most of my private students get to a point where they deserve and really need a better instrument. It happens. They plateau on the instrument they have. I have "the talk" with their parents. They realize it is an investment. But, they are paying for lessons and already making an investment, so they want to keep going. I've seen kids get a Kamaka equivelent clarinet/flute in their hands and they have such a musical growth spurt. It is amazing. Maybe it is just the mindset that they can do more, or maybe they really have been held back on that student horn. Whatever it is, it has happened every time for my students. And, I do believe they deserve that horn. They've earned that horn. I want them to have that better horn. I once had a private student who couldn't really afford a professional clarinet, but she was beyond ready. It was time. Everyone in our band circle helped make that happen, some in small ways and some in bigger ways. She still has that clarinet. She still plays it. She still kicks butt with it. And she is now a private lesson teacher. Sorry to wax poetic, but once I get started..... oy...

I like this thinking and this story too.

Wow Jenny, I loved that story. Made me tear up. Music is an awesome thing, it really gets people acting nice.

I like this thinking and this story too.

Wow Jenny, I loved that story. Made me tear up. Music is an awesome thing, it really gets people acting nice.

I just had my high school band reunion this weekend - 75th anniversary of the marching band at my old high school. So, it has been an emotional weekend, wonderfully emotional. We all shared our "band/music changed my life" stories and it continues on Facebook. Not only did I go through the band and graduate there, but I had the wonderful chance to go back home and teach. Life changing stuff... life changing stuff. And I feel the same way about ukulele. It changes lives.

But back to the original topic - my philosophy is, don't go broke buying instruments, but get the best you can afford, and if you win the lottery, please send me the fanciest, best sounding, best feeling, best playing, snazziest with ultimate bling ukulele in a concert size. And please ship that in a nice, hard case if you don't mind (and can you send a Blackbird Clara and Kamaka Concert Koa???). Until then, I will uke poetic on my Ohana cedar/rosewood that I love so much.

Know thyself!

I passed on a blackbear uke right before my birthday back in Jan. White pine soprano at an unheard of price listed at just $300. I saw it and thought birthday! Then I thought nitro finish, way too nice for my level of playing and how sick I would feel seeing the first dent scratch or ding on that beautiful instrument.

That and $300 is my holding point when buying things. I walk away and if I go back I'll purchase it. It was gone by my afternoon rising. As much as it hurts missing that instrument I know how disgusted I would be and how many nicks and dings it would have had by now.

Having said that I now have a bunch, bushel, a pride or perhaps a flock of ukuleles that while none of them are high quality instruments they are all different. Like guitars I think each ukulele has a song or style stuck in it a soul if that's your thing. Each instrument can show you this soul when you play it. I just don't know to me just one ukulele sounds boring.

I've spent a lot of time learning what makes me tick.

Stay happy!

Good subject! My experience is kind of unique. I had no idea at all about Ukuleles, or playing them, when my wife brought home a Kamaka Soprano as a surprise gift. So, I kind of started at the top, so to speak. Now, if I had decided I wanted to play the Ukulele, and shopped around for one to start on, would I have bought a Kamaka? No, not back then when money was tight, no sir! But that gift set the bar for my expectations and desires in Ukuleles. So, I was one who did save up and stretch the budget to get another Kamaka, then another, and so on. Now was that a mistake? Should I have dropped back into the midrange priced instruments? Well, if I had, I wouldn't be sitting here with the nice ones I have now. So, I've got to come down on the save up and buy the best side of this question. That's my experience, and I'm glad of it.

I got the loaner back to the owner today. So I'm back down to one cheapie, which is actually a pretty good uke, even if it didn't cost much. I intend to upgrade at some point. I have my eye on the one I think that I want. When I start to feel like I can't progress because the uke is holding me back, then I'll get it, but right now that isn't the case. For me, I didn't like having two ukuleles, especially when one wasn't mine.

I'm in the buy-to-try camp. The most I have spent, I believe, is 300-400 and that's definitely my max. If I got something more $, I think I would have the fear of it being too nice/ too perfect! But that's just me.

Top Bottom