recommend a capo please

I recently read a praising review of the Planet Waves PW-CP-12 NS Ukulele Capo Pro (currently $16.40 on Amazon):
http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-PW-CP-12-Ukulele-Capo/dp/B00GTSM8CK
It's fairly low profile—shouldn't get in the way of your left hand—and looks like it snaps in place, with a micrometer adjuster. I have no personal experience with it; I'm as curious as the next uker to see what others have to say about these capos.

I have used the guitar version of the planet waves capo for years. It is excellent and by far my favorite, having tried most that is on the market. They are light, low profile, easy to use, can control the tension so it doesn't pull the strings out of tune, and cheap. I occasionally put it on my ukes just to experiment, but haven't found a situation where I feel like I need a capo on a uke. If I did, the planet waves would be my first choice.

okay, planet waves ukulele capo $14.61 shipped from a secondary amazon vendor. thanks all.

I have always used Schubbs on all guitars and now uke. It can give you just the right grip every time but it doesn't fit every neck profile very well. I've encountered some problems on a couple of my ukes where the padded brace in the back is offset from the curve of the neck enough that the edge of the capo bar in front is barely in position to cover all the strings. You also have to be careful how you apply it or you tend to pull the strings sideways. I usually find the right location and press firmly with my fingers in front and then apply the lever in the back.

I've got a Schubb silver lite for the uke. No issues. Never used any other uke capo. It's light and that is what matters!

Petey

I have used all of the capos mentioned here, and they all work just fine. But I also have one of those capos with a metal bar, covered in plastic, and a stretchy band that goes around the neck. Stay away from those. They don't work well, and are a pain to deal with.

I use my old Kyser guitar capo. It is easy, quick, and I like the way the rubber protects the neck.

Capos are great if you absolutely need ringing open strings in an arrangement, but you'll grow faster musically if you learn to get away from reliance on first position chords with open strings and learn to transpose and use different chord inversions either with barre chords or fingerings where you do use three or four fingers.

Like we say about the uke: "Four strings, four fingers, you do the math!"

Once you get comfortable changing chords and having your fretting fingers work relatively independently, you can then even deliberately alter fingerings for chords based on where you're coming from and where you're going chord-wise. For instance, even in 1st position, I have four or five distinctly different fingerings for a simple G chord, and it all depends on what else I have going on...moving lines on the 4th string in particular, but also whether I want to get in and out of a G6 or G7 quickly and easily or move to a Gm. You know about those ways to skin a cat and all that...

Top Bottom