Newbie w/new old Martin

DaveZ

Reaction score
I've been playing guitar for over 45 years, but just got my hands on my first ukulele. I can't wait to figure it out. After stringing it up, I was caught by surprise at the tone and the loudness from such a small instrument. I can't wait to learn how to play it! All I know so far is that it is an old Martin Style 0. For as old as it appears to be, it's in great shape.

I would love to learn more about the instrument itself, but there seems to be a lot of conflicting and out of date information on the internet. I was quite happy to find this forum! Having spent a number of years on the road in my younger days, I want to insure it, but don't have a clue what amount to insure it for, if it even has any value. I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.

Here's what I do know.

It was given to me by a lifelong friend after his father passed away. It was his father's instrument and he played it all the time (according to the family, emphasis on the “all the time”). He bought it used in the Baltimore/D.C. Area just prior to WWII and it traveled with him all over the Pacific during his war years in the Navy. It's not known what he paid for it.

• It has the C.F. Martin stamp on the back of the head stock.
  • Does not have the decal on the front of the head stock.
  • It has bar type frets.
  • Appears to be nickel-plated steel tuning pegs with black plastic heads.

Also including some photos. Any info appreciated!

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg

Looks fantastic and all the more better you have a personal connection with it.

Oh, and welcome to the disease. It starts with one but often progresses to more. I've heard more than one seasoned guitar player find a lot of joy in the uke and some even comment that it ultimately improved their guitar playing as having just four strings forced them to think of new ways to do things.

Whether you truly connect with it or not, you have a gem of a uke there. Enjoy.

And according to that book, it would appear your Martin dates between 1927 and 1931. Prior to 1927, you would have wooden violin-style pegs, rather than friction pegs (although pegs are pretty easy to replace). The decal was added to the front of the headstock in 1932, so presumably your uke predates that.

Hey welcome! It looks as if you're starting off with a great instrument there. Many happy strumming hours to you!

Aloha! :)

I want to insure it, but don't have a clue what amount to insure it for, if it even has any value. I'm hoping someone here can steer me in the right direction.
Your best insurance need is to get a hard case for the 'uke. The canvas case is no protection. But keep the case as it helps with the value of the 'uke package. As for value, there is a range that you can find on the UU Marketplace, other 'uke markets, eBay and Craigslist. It's all about supply and demand and condition.

Wow, sure looks good considering it's travels. Congrats, I have one my Dad gave me on my 10th Birthday. It's about as loud as anything I've heard.

Yep, late 1920s. I just looked at one belonging to Andy Andrews at the Wine Country Uke Festival. It needs about five new frets, and I knew that when Andy put it in my hands, the right thing to say was, "So how do we figure out how to get or make new nickel silver bar frets?" Most people would just refret it with "T" frets, but that's just not right. No, the right size bar frets are not available. Yes, they'll have to be custom made. No, it's not that big a deal if you're really into it, but it's way beyond most luthiers house of knowledge. You start with nickel silver sheet metal of the right gauge or a little thicker. Then you cut strips, and if necessary, run them through a rolling mill (any real jeweler has one) to get the strips to just the right thickness. Then cut to length and install. It just takes the will to do it right. And a bit more dough than any import uke costs, but...

Welcome to UU. That is a beautiful instrument you have inherited from your friend!

Wow! You guys are quick! Thanks for all the great info. Peterjens: To me, that beat up old canvas bag has a lot of sentimental value. In my youth (I wasn't always old!), the previous owner's family was like my 2nd family. Knowing some of the history and having heard some of the great stories of where that bag & uke have been, especially during the war, they'll stay together. I won't be taking it out and about to gigs. When I get good enough to start using one onstage, I'll pick up something newer (and cheaper). But having one home burnt down in the 70's, and another burglarized in the 80's, I was curious if it had enough value that I should add it to my insurance policy. I was just looking for a ball park idea before looking into it further. I've watched enough of those antique/pickers shows to know that old doesn't always mean valuable. As a guitarist, I know old Martin guitars can bring a lot of value (I live in PA), but have no knowledge of ukuleles. No need to make my insurance company any richer than I need to!

Thanks to all!

Hey, Dave-- where in PA? I'm in the Philly suburbs.

I have a Style 0 of similar vintage. I would put the value at around $600-700 for one that's been well-loved, up to around $1000 for one that's pristine. There are some very high-value vintage Martins (Style 3s can go $4000 and up, and Style 5s can go over $10,000), but Style 0s were very common, and don't bring super-big bucks. But they are wonderful sounding instruments. I've had the good fortune to play a few very high-end vintage Martins, and while they were lovely, I can't say they sounded any better than the humble Style 0.

Great looking style 0! As old as it is, it looks to be in fantastic condition.

For insurance purposes, I would estimate the value at around $600 - $700.

Scooter

Been playing around with it all morning. Love the sound, but after 45 years of playing Fender Stratocasters, it's going to take a while for these fat fingers to adjust to the much smaller frets and tighter spacing.

I know everyone's tastes are different, but I'm curious as to what manufacturer of string people prefer?

I have become a convert to Freemont Blackline Mediums as the strings on my Martin and Timms sopranos.

Now that's a Martin!

Aloha and welcome to UU. That is a thing of beauty and bet is really sings. Too bad it can't talk

Enjoy and keep us posted

Well, it was fun while it lasted! Wife managed to get her car engine so hot, it not only blew the engine, it blew the petcock out of the radiator! One car in the family ain't getting it and I am currently unemployed. Toys are the first thing to go, so... Anybody interested in a really nice old Martin?

Sad story, but I hear ya; I'm currently selling some of mine to help pay for a new furnace. I suppose I could just burn the ukes, but I think I need a longer-term strategy. Put it up for sale on the Marketplace board here, I'm sure it will sell quickly.

Top Bottom