Wine Country Ukulele Festival THANKS!

Rick Turner

Reaction score
I'd like to thank Elaine de Man and her family and Andy Andrews for putting on another slamming great Wine Country Uke Festival up in St. Helena last weekend. My son, Eli, and I brought our portable lutherie workbench and stayed hellabusy putting in strap buttons, doing fret levels, action adjustments and one top brace re-glue. I also did a little video interview with Gordon Mayer and Eric DeVine, two luthiers whose work I highly respect, and you can see it on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tggUlRFhB3o

And I hardly ever laugh as much as when I hang out with Daniel Ward and the irrepressible Heidi Swedberg.

I would have enjoyed just to watch you and your son at work on the portable bench. Great video.

Great seeing you Rick.

Eli is an amazing young man. You must be proud.

I'm glad he's going into teaching, he's going to be awesome! But I'm a little sad he isn't going to follow your footsteps. From what I've seen of his work he could have a bright future there as well..

It was great seeing you, Eli, and your new octave ukulele at the Wine Country Ukulele Festival. Your portable lutherie workbench has become a staple of this festival, and I seem to know people every year who are thrilled that you're there to perform mainrtenance and repair work. I also enjoyed your Mood Indigo and Instrument Care workshops. I hope you're able to teach your Build An Ukulele in Four Days class again sometime soon.

Thanks for sharing this video. I really enjoyed it, and I love the fact that the ukulele community is such a great one, with many people working together, helping each other out, and having fun along the way.

What I totally forgot to do there was to take some photos of my bench setup and either Eli or I working on instruments. I got a writing assignment to do a 1200 word article on "Festival Lutherie" for Acoustic Guitar Magazine, and this was the first of two successive weekends of doing it. Next weekend is the Strawberry Music Festival, and we'll be set up and working there, too. I will get photos up there, but it would be nice to feature ukes, too. Denise? Gary? Mark? Anyone get any pics of us?

I'm not much of a festival-goer, but the Wine Country festival is one that I am interested in attending in the future... Maybe next year.

....I hope you're able to teach your Build An Ukulele in Four Days class again sometime soon.

Ditto on this, Mark. My hubby John and I are on Rick's waiting list for that workshop. I'd like a cherry pineapple.

The octave uke sounded lovely, so I wonder what a Rick Turner bass ukulele would sound like. Hmm?

Ditto on this, Mark. My hubby John and I are on Rick's waiting list for that workshop. I'd like a cherry pineapple.

The octave uke sounded lovely, so I wonder what a Rick Turner bass ukulele would sound like. Hmm?

I want to take the class again. Where do I get on this list?

Just buy a Renaissance bass Gillian :)

Eli and I were tumbling around how to modify my favorite acoustic-electric strings to work at a shorter scale length. The bottom four strings of a Thomastik-Infeld AcoustiCore 5 string set would come out at the right tension for about a 24 3/4" to 25 1/2" scale. The issue is the string diameter around the tuner post OR crimping on a different string ball at the bridge end. We're going to experiment a bit. We could do it on the octave/baritone uke body size, and it would be pretty sweet acoustically as well as plugged in.

Top Bottom