Uke Minutes 38 - Artificial Harmonics

Alright guys! This week's episode of Uke Minutes is up!

Uke Minutes 38 - Artificial Harmonics

A few of you jumped the gun, talking about this technique in the "One-Handed Harmonics" discussion (ahemm ... *mumble*haole*mumble*cpatch) - :D but it's all good. Way to share the wealth!

A method of visualizing this technique that Aldrine mentioned (that didn't make it into this Uke Minutes episode) is to imagine a bar on your 12th fret. So if you are holding down the 2nd fret with your left hand you know that you need to do the one-handed harmonics technique on the 2nd fret above the imaginary bar. This makes it a lot easier (and a lot faster) to figure out where you need to be.

Questions, comments, interesting anecdotes? Do you guys like the new video player (with no pop up ads!!)? Let us know!

Mahalooooz.

Last edited:
I'm like that kid in your class who doesn't know a whole lot, but takes every opportunity to blurt out what he does know in an attempt to sound smart, and eventually you want to bust his face in with a shovel. ;)

I just realized that you don't even actually need to have a 15th fret to do this! The artificial harmonics work way past the fretboard and over the soundhole as long as you hit them at the right distance from the note.

Sometimes I wonder if Aldrine is giving away too many techniques for free. :rofl:

When he had the one-handed harmonics video, I thought, "One-handed harmonics? Why is he holding back? Maybe he wants to keep artificial harmonics to himself." Boy, was I wrong!

Aldrine, you are ridiculous... take it as a compliment! :shaka:

I just realized that you don't even actually need to have a 15th fret to do this! The artificial harmonics work way past the fretboard and over the soundhole as long as you hit them at the right distance from the note.

Harmonics are basically loudest at the middle of the string, or the half point of the string.

The 12th fret marks the half point of the string on guitars and ukuleles, but when you hold down a fret, you change the length of the string, and, therefore, its half point, or where the harmonic is loudest.

Frets are really just markers, so with a good eye, you can play harmonics over the sound hole; you just need to touch the middle of the string.

I hope this helps...I'm no teacher like Aldrine:bowdown:

(side note: That's one interesting shirt you have on there Aldrine: "Pure Mark K Town Heroes")

Last edited:
This uke miniute was perfectly timed for me. I saw thejumpingflea's video of playing Dragon last week and wanted to learn the artificial harmonics at the end. Thanks Aldrine and UU!

Top Bottom