E - A - E progression fingering

dktoller

Reaction score
Working on Talking Heads - And She Was.
This has a E - A - E progression for much of the song.

I'm trying to play it as E: 4442 and A: 2404.
I think this sounds best but the typical fingerings I use make for an awkward transition. E is index finger on A string and ring finger covering the other three. A is index finger on the bottom string, middle on C-string and ring on A-string.

Is there an easier way, or is just a matter of practice?

Also, is there a cleaner/standard way of describing fingerings?

I'm assuming you're barring the 2nd fret with your index finger. Using your chording, there's no need to un-barre the 2nd fret when alternating between E and A. Is this how you're playing it?

Another variation is to barre the 4th fret with your index finger, and play E on the lower 3 strings (don't play the high string). Keep barring the 4th fret and add 2 notes for the A (6454). When you've mastered that, you can add your pinky on the 7th fret of the high string for a 4 string E chord.

Another variation is to barre the 4th fret with your index finger, and play E on the lower 3 strings (don't play the high string). Keep barring the 4th fret and add 2 notes for the A (6454). When you've mastered that, you can add your pinky on the 7th fret of the high string for a 4 string E chord.

That's how I'd do it. 4447 and 6454 (or maybe even 6457).

Actually, I'm even lazier than that. This is for the verses, right? I'd probably just three-finger pick 1_02 and 2_00 (don't pick the third string).

Or heck... maybe you could arpeggiate it, like in the song:

Code:
|--2---4---2---2-
|0---0---0---0---
|----------------
|-1-1-2-2-1-1-1-1

JJ

Love it! Now I feel like getting beyond just strumming chords and getting into the dirty tricks...

- Move up the fret board to get a favorable fingering
- Substitute a chord variation which is easier to reach
- Strum just three strings
- Pick the notes you need and ignore inconvenient strings

These all make sense. Thanks.

Top Bottom