Song Help Request Strum Pattern for Take a Picture by Filter

danmtk

Reaction score
Hello,

Just having trouble nailing down a strum pattern for Filter's Take a Picture? can anyone provide me with some guidance? thanks!

That's cool that you're learning that song. I learned it a couple months ago, in June, I think. I must confess, I have no idea how the strum pattern goes, though. I just listen to it and try to strum like the song. Does that work for you, Dan?

What I find with songs like this one--and this is probably just me--is, since I can't sing, the entire song doesn't lend itself to great uking. I can add a melody line, and perhaps should for this fantastic song from the 90s, but the song truly needs to be sung--it's so vocal dependent, this tune and those like it. Anything by Stone Temple Pilots; "Possum Kingdom" by The Toadies; "Hey Man, Nice Shot," again by Filter; "Plowed" by Sponge; and such similar quiet-grunge-quiet-grunge tunes.

I love Hum, "Stars", because the band used to rehearse in a house next door to my old girlfriend and I heard them screwing it up, over and over, to finally nail it with the version we all know. At the time I was like, "Hum, who? Who cares? Let's get back to tonsil hockey, okay?" Little did I know they'd breakout--Letterman, Conan, the works. Dumb me! Anyhow, I wanted to learn that one for ukulele (even mentioned it to RussBuss), but it's so grunge and vocal. All grunge and vocal. Couldn't be done (by us, anyhow). And no, I didn't want to learn it to serenade my old girlfriend. Although she still has a face like a porcelain doll, she's gone on to eat too much fried food.

You likely have a great voice and could pull off Filter.

Filter, Take a Picture. Good stuff. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8MAHQhKe7Q

Hum, Stars. Good stuff. Thanks, Dan. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rfbn3ieVUYU

Last edited:
What about:

d. d’ d’ d’ d d d d’ d’ | d. d’ d’ d’ d d d d’ d’ | etc.
↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑ ↓ ↑

Sorry, I can't seem to make the arrows line up with the notes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom