Best live looping ukulele artists?

wayward

Reaction score
I recently confessed on Facebook that I don't enjoy listening to live looping - I seemed to be totally alone on this one :anyone: So, convince me folks - which live looping ukulele artists do you enjoy? (links and videos welcome).

Live looping is when you run your instrument (in this case, a ukulele) through a looper, which is a unit (usually in effect pedal format) that will allow you to record a phrase and then loop it - ad nauseum - when you are done. This allows you to record multiple parts of a song and have a thicker sounding arrangement than just playing by yourself.

As the OP mentioned, live looping is a love/hate thing. The biggest thing that I've found (and I've written a number of solo bass pieces that rely on looping) is that it's all in the arrangement. People that do live looping well make it sound effortless and have it add to the overall sound and feel of a song. People that aren't that skilled in it usually end up with heavy arrangements that sound muddy and take too long getting everything built up.

"The biggest thing that I've found is that it's all in the arrangement." That's what I figured One Bad Monkey - I'm looking for examples of those better arrangements to see whether or not I can learn to love it. The examples I've heard take ages to get started and are very very repetitive very very repetitive...

When done well, the setup should just sound like part of the arrangement - rather than a minute and a half of "housekeeping."

Let me see if I can find some good examples....

Here's a great example

I was watching that the other day; definitely a good one. Each part you can hear clearly, and she didn't take that long to break into the melody.

On contrast, this one I find misses the mark. As I mentioned in the arrangement, this one starts to lose the clarity of the individual loops and I found myself getting bored with just watching him build the loop up. It's definitely a "less is more" environment.

And i just bought the ditto looper

Haha don't take any notice of my opinion - as far as I can make out I'm in a minority of 1 on this & even I admire some of these loopers; I just don't enjoy them that much. When the original track continues in the same way from beginning to end it starts to irritate me. I think it might partly be lack of visual interest in the performance, though, because I almost liked the KT Tunstall vid all the way through.:smileybounce:

I heard that Kt Tunstall song on the radio for days and I honestly did not like it until I watched her play it all by herself and I was impressed. Another girl who loops in her music but with her voice is Kimbra. She does the female vocal in the Goatye song Somebody That I Used To Know. Her range is incredible, to me at least. Looping is not for everyone but in the right hands it can be done very well. Heres Kimbra I know this is not a Uke thing but this girl is alright.

Not much uke artists come to mind but I'd love to see someone pull off looping as seamlessly as Ed Sheeran does. This tune has a great loop and then he does another loop mid song. Crazy. I can only wish to be half this good

That is impressive. Without a doubt.

[video]www.youtube/watch?v=ZxODzxY6AvI[/video]
Not ukulele but an impressive display of looping and musicianship. Trombonist Christopher Bill covers Pharrel Williams composition, Happy.
I have heard Brittani loop at Roy Sakuma's Festival in 2013. Also have heard Jake loop a few times.

The link I listed does not seem to be working for Christopher Bill's cover of Happy on Trombone. Go to youtube and look for it there. It's really well done,

Top Bottom