Kala Cedar Tenor Vs. Kala Solid-Acacia Tenor???

Tommy B

Reaction score
Hi folks. Has anyone here had opportunity to compare the Kala cedar-topped tenor (KA-ATP-CT) with the Kala all-solid-acacia (KA-ASAC-T)? If so, could you share your experience?

I've got the cedar-top model, and I think it represents amazing sound for the price. But that's partly because I like my tenors boomy, and this one has that in spades.

I'm wondering whether the all-acacia model represents a step up in quality and sound, as reflected in the higher price, or if it will feel/sound like the same uke as my cedar.

Thanks!

I have played both and the Acacia is not as loud. I have played the acacia and mahogany models side by side and the mahogany is louder as well. This is not too say the acacia does not have a nice sound...........it does and I like it very much. I can hear the difference in tone and volume between all those models, it is not huge but it is there.

Little difference in quality. Acacia all solid, the cedar topped one has a gloss finish. Kind of apples and oranges. I'm just guessing the cedar topped one doesn't benefit from Aquila strings, the solid acacia may.

Thanks for the responses. I was just curious because there was an acacia model with a pickup on eBay, and I find myself in need of a pickup for an upcoming event. I thought I could upgrade my uke and get the pickup in one purchase. I even contacted Kala, but their sales guy was hard-pressed to explain the difference between the two ukes. Not that there isn't one, but that he couldn't articulate it. In the end, I watched the auction end. I think my UAS was just coming up with a new rationalization for yet another purchase :).

Little difference in quality. Acacia all solid, the cedar topped one has a gloss finish. Kind of apples and oranges. I'm just guessing the cedar topped one doesn't benefit from Aquila strings, the solid acacia may.

Actually, the cedar came in gloss and satin. Mine's satin. I just ordered (and returned) the baritone version from Elderly, and it was gloss. It looked beautiful but didn't have the "pop" that my tenor has. BTW, I use Worth CT strings on mine with a wound low-G. When I bought it from another UU member, it had D'Addario Titaniums on it. Both string sets sound great on this uke. It's just a great uke.

I have the KAATP-CTG-CE tenor cutaway with pickup. It's the best sounding uke I have, even against a custom I recently received.

Kala Cedar.jpg

That's a looker, Kohanmike! I agree about these cedar-topped Kala tenors. There's something special about them. I didn't know they came with pickup already installed. I'll have to check that out.

I have the KAATP-CTG-CE tenor cutaway with pickup. It's the best sounding uke I have, even against a custom I recently received.

Kala Cedar.jpg

Top Bottom