Yet ANOTHER Amp Thread ...

Steveperrywriter

Reaction score
So, I have continued my descent into the dark side of gearheadery ...

Went from the Roland Street Cube to the AC 33. A couple of quick observations ...

If you look at them side by side, you might think the Street Cube is louder and more robust, and it is built sturdier, with a grill and heavy plastic bumpers, since it was designed for street busking and being knocked around. The speakers look to be the same size, and both units can run from 110 v via DC converters, or from AA batteries. Both will run a vocal and an instrument mike at same time.

The Cube runs 2.5 watts per speaker, for a total of 5 watts. The AC 33 has 15 watts per, for a total of 30 watts. (This is plugged into external power; the batteries supposedly deliver a bit less on the 33, around 20 watts.)

Still not gonna peel the paint off the walls, but the new one has four-to-six times more wattage than the old one, depending, and is smaller and lighter weight.

Side-by-side images, SC to the left, AC 33, on the right.

image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Nice side-by-side, thanks

I looked all over, there are only a couple shots of the two side-by-side. Anybody looking at the Roland site can read the specs and tell that the Cube is wider, but I like the visuals. I would like to see the whole Roland line in a row ...

For those that truly understand sound, they realize that everything is marketed at the masses, and watts don't really mean that much when it comes to cabs. Amps, sure, they're a good reference, but again how its marketed will determine the target buyer.

Also, size of driver doesn't matter as much as most would presume.

In my research, and experience with consumer grade pro audio, efficiency and technology is where its at, not to mention application.
That said, this is a good example of why you shouldn't listen with your eyes.

I'm spoiled, so most of the combo cabs used here seem to be okay for home and practice, although personally, my gig rig is my practice rig (bass).

Sorry to do this to you:

637642392001_772869810002_video-still-for-video-772838832002.jpg

New to 2014 - Roland Cube Street EX www.rolandus.com/products/details/1317/507

Sorry to do this to you:

You don't have to be sorry if he's wanting an acoustic amp. None of the cubes are.

The AC33 on the other hand, is. The Roland AC 60 has been what small acoustic amps have been measured up against for years, and the AC 33 is bascially a battery powered miniature version of it. Not quite as many features and lower power, but still a darn good amp for what it does and it's price point. I own one. I only got it because of the fact that it's battery powered. How much have I HAD to use it like that? Once. If I had it to do over again, I would get the AC 60. It doesn't cost that much more.

The only thing that I think is hokie about any of the Rolands is their emphasis on being 'stereo'. It doesn't matter. They've got 2 channels--woohoo. If you're more than a foot away, it doesn't matter, you won't hear the split sound anyhow. Not even concerts in huge venues have their sound in stereo. They use array speakers to broadcast sound everywhere, not just right out in front of the band.

I also have a Bose L1 Compact that is a miniature array system. I've ran my uke into my Roland to use it as a 'soundboard' so to speak, then into my bose to broadcast that evenly thoughout my 'venue', small as it may be. And, the audience doesn't have to be directly in front of me to hear the music.

Most likely more than anybody wants to know, but there it is, thrown out for all to see.

Sorry to do this to you:

Yeah, but it has bells and whistles I don't need for an acoustic, and it's five pounds heavier, six inches wider, three inches taller, and five inches deeper. I can pack the AC 33 and the pre-amp and cables and mike into a fairly small bag I can lug in one hand, with enough muscle left to carry the uke and a mike stand in the other hand. Big enough for the blues jam at the local pub. I expect if I get to a venue where I need something louder, there is apt to be a house PA I can plug into, and use the amp as a monitor.

Last edited:

Yeah, but it has bells and whistles I don't need for an acoustic, and it's five pounds heavier, six inches wider, three inches taller, and five inches deeper. I can pack the AC 33 and the pre-amp and cables and mike into a fairly small bag I can lug in one hand, with enough muscle left to carry the uke and a mike stand. Big enough for the blues jam at the local pub. I expect if I get to a venue where I need something louder, there is apt to be a house PA I can plug into, and use the amp as a monitor.

Don't play out much, do you? I've played at a few places that have PA, and don't have PA. The ones that have, sometimes suck. I actually played one that had a nice Soundcraft Mixer and JBL MRX's for mains and monitors, Crown XLS402 amps. Kicker - no eq. Good stuff, but the locale needed eq to take out the mud.

Hard Rock Cafe' has some nice equipment. Sounds like crap because they have the subs setup all wrong - split, hanging next to the line array tops on opposite ends of the stage, about 20', give or take. We were sitting right in the middle of the power alley and going deaf with the bass. Two tables over was the typical comb, with no bass whatsoever. Its an easy fix, but then again, it is HRC.

BTW, and this I learned a long time ago, from a drummer. He said,"Vocalists don't have to bring any gear, you think they could at least buy their own mic, and a good one at that." Once I started playing out, I always bring my own mic, and not for that reason. Ever see anyone kiss the mic? Ever see anyone eat the mic? Okay, better question, how many performers do you see don't do either?

You've heard the old definition of a musician? Person who packs up $5000 worth of equipment into a $500 car and drives 100 miles for a $50 gig. That's me! And I love it!

I looked at a bunch, Dan, and battery power was part of what I wanted.

I used a Micro-Cube with my guitar, and it was okay, just enough to make nylon strings able to be heard with steel string acoustic guitars.

I ran the uke through the Street Cube's acoustic setting and it sounded okay, but it sounds better using the acoustic amp. And considerably louder ...

Nah, I don't play out much, and I don't expect to be anywhere I need a stack that will blow out eardrums in the nosebleed seats at, say, the Super Bowl ... Gets to that? I probably can afford a bigger amp. My ambitions don't run in that direction. Blues or folk or geezer rock in the local pub, maybe. Arena rock? Not even ...

I do bring my own mike, Shure 57, so I can sing if a Real Singer doesn't show up, or mike a uke that doesn't have a pick up while the Real Singer sings ...

Nah, I don't play out much, and I don't expect to be anywhere I need a stack that will blow out eardrums in the nosebleed seats at, say, the Super Bowl ... Gets to that? I probably can afford a bigger amp. My ambitions don't run in that direction. Blues or folk or geezer rock in the local pub, maybe. Arena rock? Not even ...

I do bring my own mike, Shure 57, so I can sing if a Real Singer doesn't show up, or mike a uke that doesn't have a pick up while the Real Singer sings ...

I think that's where a bunch of us are around here that perform. You definitely got the right mic for the job, and by the joke definition of a musician, I guess I may only somewhat qualify - I don't have that much invested, my vehicle costs way more, and if I drove 100 miles I'd be in the ocean, or right back where I started. Yeah, gigs are more than $50. Still, its all good at our level.

I have the Roland 33 but it is currently in the shop. At less than a year old it just wouldn't power on, I took it into the shop and they sent it back to Roland in Vancouver. Last word is that they have replaced the motherboard but are still having problem with some of the features. The communication has been poor and I really just sit in limbo waiting to see what and when I will have an amp again. Not real happy as it had maybe been used about 10 times when it went kerfluie .

You don't have to be sorry if he's wanting an acoustic amp. None of the cubes are.

The AC33 on the other hand, is. The Roland AC 60 has been what small acoustic amps have been measured up against for years, and the AC 33 is bascially a battery powered miniature version of it. Not quite as many features and lower power, but still a darn good amp for what it does and it's price point. I own one. I only got it because of the fact that it's battery powered. How much have I HAD to use it like that? Once. If I had it to do over again, I would get the AC 60. It doesn't cost that much more.

The only thing that I think is hokie about any of the Rolands is their emphasis on being 'stereo'. It doesn't matter. They've got 2 channels--woohoo. If you're more than a foot away, it doesn't matter, you won't hear the split sound anyhow. Not even concerts in huge venues have their sound in stereo. They use array speakers to broadcast sound everywhere, not just right out in front of the band.

I also have a Bose L1 Compact that is a miniature array system. I've ran my uke into my Roland to use it as a 'soundboard' so to speak, then into my bose to broadcast that evenly thoughout my 'venue', small as it may be. And, the audience doesn't have to be directly in front of me to hear the music.

Most likely more than anybody wants to know, but there it is, thrown out for all to see.

King David is spot on, here. The new Roland Street Cube EX is built with an acoustic channel:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1317/507

"•COSM tones for electric guitar, including Clean, Crunch, and Lead; PREAMP FOR ACOUSTIC GUITAR PROVIDES CLEAN, NATURAL SOUND"

Several of my local friends own these. They are quite impressive and can be mounted on speaker stands and interconnected via the Stereo Link, just like my Roland BA-330's. These are not the old 2.5 watt X 2 Roland Cube Street amps, that were designed for electric guitars with an acoustic simulator that made an electric guitar sound acoustic, The Roland Cube Street EX is designed to plug either an electric or acoustic/electric guitar straight in. The Roland Cube Street EX will hold it's own on a stage with other amplified instruments. Ric

Last edited:
I use a Line6 Pocket Pod to play my electric guitars through my Roland AC-33 with great success. It has substantially more acoustic output than my old Roland Cube Street's (not the new EX version). Ric

One of my older model Cube Streets at a Farmer's Market:

RolandAmp2.JPG

Farmer's Market setup with two older Roland Cube Streets for vocals, 1 Roland Microcube RX Bass, 2 Roland Microcube RX and 2 Roland Microcubes:

RolandAmp6.JPG

All battery in a public park without A/C power. 2 Roland BA-330 PA Systems, 3 older Roland Cube Streets, 1 Roland Microcube RX Bass and one Roland AC-33:

JonathanTarr201201.jpg

My beach rig using a Roland AC-33 with an LR Baggs Para Acoustic DI:

AC33MemorialDay.jpg

King David is spot on, here. The new Roland Street Cube EX is built with an acoustic channel:

http://www.rolandus.com/products/details/1317/507

"•COSM tones for electric guitar, including Clean, Crunch, and Lead; PREAMP FOR ACOUSTIC GUITAR PROVIDES CLEAN, NATURAL SOUND"

Several of my local friends own these. They are quite impressive and can be mounted on speaker stands and interconnected via the Stereo Link, just like my Roland BA-330's. These are not the old 2.5 watt X 2 Roland Cube Street amps, that were designed for electric guitars with an acoustic simulator that made an electric guitar sound acoustic, The Roland Cube Street EX is designed to plug either an electric or acoustic/electric guitar straight in. The Roland Cube Street EX will hold it's own on a stage with other amplified instruments. Ric

I like the Street Cube EX. I rather have 2 mic inputs instead of 1 mic and 1 instrument input of the AC-33 as some instruments might not have pickups. Only if it had phantom power as I own a Shure SM58 and 2 Lewitt LCT140.

Thanks for your help Ric. Don't mind con-man, he is privy to snap posts based on prior assumptions as always. The slightest bit of looking into Roland's new 2014 product specs would have revealed his error, and even the most basic video demo I took the actual picture of the amp from(www.youtube.com/watch?v=uma95PjVPow) get this, features an ACOUSTIC guitar player. No this is not some nefarious marketing ploy to trick acoustic players into buying electric guitar amps. Gone are the days for Roland when a model must of had the letters AC tacked at the end to be built to spec as an acoustic amp.

That being said, to the OP I get your concern for portability now. However, one can't argue that the Cube Street EX 50watts isn't a substantial upgrade from the AC-33's 15x15 for only a ~5lb difference in weight, especially in a setting outdoors where there's no walls or at a place with no external PA. I will tell you straight up from experience and I'm sure Ric can vouch as well: a lot of venues when they are built do not pay to have a sound system installed, let alone even hire an employee that knows how to work one. That all can and will fall on the player eventually. Do you really want to put yourself in that situation one day, because I did and it sucked. Totally worth the extra inches in width and minimal weight difference of 5lbs(gym anyone?) for peace of mind.

While I do not yet own the Cube Street Ex, it will certainly be my next purchase as I have the larger 30watt Roland at 30lbs and the Street EX will be a relief at half the weight, size, and an extra 20watts power.

Top Bottom