NUD from HMS (again lol)

Icelander53

Reaction score
Some of you may remember I was hot to get another Pono in Mahogany which I ordered. I liked it but was hoping for something in the sound that wasn't there for me. Andrew, in another conversation asked me how I was liking it and I told him I felt I would need time to let it grow on me to be fully satisfied with it. Right away he told me to return it and get something I'd really be wowed by.

I told him how difficult that was without playing them in person. He knew between my girlfriend and I that we had two cedar top Ponos that we were extremely happy with. In fact I told him that her new Cedar/Acacia was about the nicest uke I'd ever played and I've played some of the K brands. He suggested I might like a cedar/rosewood. On impulse I said Andrew you have some idea now what I like but I'd like you to pick out what you think is the best thing Pono is offering right now that would make me happy. I'm putting it totally in your hands.

Actually once I said that I no longer had any anxiety about picking out something myself. I trusted him. He said he'd take some time and then go through some stock and pick me something out that he thought I'd really love.

And....so...this!

Cedar/Madagascar Ebony tenor strung low G with Ko'olau wound G and C.

I'm so glad that I had Andrew pick it out. He said he owns this model himself (except in cutaway) and so does Aaron. It's the most beautiful sound I've heard yet in a uke I've owned or played personally. A ton of sustain and very loud. Very rich and complex. It sounds somewhat guitar like in low G and fits the type of music I'm playing to a tee.

I'm really not qualified to say much more about sound but I'm soooo in love with the sound of this Pono. I'm completely satisfied and this uke has surpassed my often unreasonable expectations which is a rare event indeed. And with the discounted prices now I feel like I stole it. Not to mention the quality build and beautiful Ebony back and sides.

Andrews advice and guidance was what made this purchase work imo. That and the Pono quality.

Here's a pro sound sample.

http://vimeo.com/105538557

Icelander ... you made another solid purchase ... Keepin' it Pono. This is a really nice uke, and my friend DownUpDave just bought the same uke from Andrew ... two days ago. Great Job!

I think Andrew is one of the classiest and most honourable retailers in the business, not to say others aren't as well ... I just really like working with him.

I have the ETSH5 and STILL LOVE IT ... I bought it in January this year ... am still in love with it and am so impressed with the tone, sustain and the quality of the uke that I bought a RTSH C, and will be getting a RTSH S very shortly.

I have South Coast HML-RW Low G on my ETSH5 and the tone is improved and sustain goes on for a country mile ... you might try them out when you would like to try something different.

So happy for you.

Beautiful ukulele. Congrats! You must be so excited.

Last edited:
Like I always say: Pono Tenors are magic!

Congrats on an awesome uke! :shaka:

Icelander ... you made another solid purchase ... Keepin' it Pono. This is a really nice uke, and my friend DownUpDave just bought the same uke from Andrew ... two days ago. Great Job!

I think Andrew is one of the classiest and most honourable retailers in the business, not to say others aren't as well ... I just really like working with him.

I have the ETSH5 and STILL LOVE IT ... I bought it in January this year ... am still in love with it and am so impressed with the tone, sustain and the quality of the uke that I bought a RTSH C, and will be getting a RTSH S very shortly.

I have South Coast HML-RW Low G on my ETSH5 and the tone is improved and sustain goes on for a country mile ... you might try them out when you would like to try something different.

So happy for you.

Thanks for the advice on the South Coast strings. I'll keep them in mind. I must say though I'm loving Ko'olau strings on my Pono's so far but there's always something more to try, right!:drool:

Excellent choice, Icelander. I myself ordered a Macassar (note it's Macassar, not Madagascar) Ebony some time ago. It just came in and these are very limited in production. And between then and now discovered I prefer concert size. If I wasn't limited on ukes, I would absolutely keep it as my one tenor. But alas, I can't. So if Andrew doesn't have another in stock and anyone is keen on one without waiting, there will be a brand spanking new on Dixie Ukuleles site shortly.

Congrats on the new Pono....
Andrew is a one of a kind in the uke World...fyi they get boxes and boxes of Pono's when they arrive from Indonesia....many for other dealers and most og them for HMS...so it seems like it is easy for Andrew to find a nice one...but in reality it takes time and work to look through the shipment....but that what makes Andrew one of a kind in my book...his work habits rubs off on all of the crew there....

I see Andrew and HMS as "What goes around comes around"

my 2 cents...have fun with your new Pono!

Excellent choice, Icelander. I myself ordered a Macassar (note it's Macassar, not Madagascar) Ebony some time ago. It just came in and these are very limited in production. And between then and now discovered I prefer concert size. If I wasn't limited on ukes, I would absolutely keep it as my one tenor. But alas, I can't. So if Andrew doesn't have another in stock and anyone is keen on one without waiting, there will be a brand spanking new on Dixie Ukuleles site shortly.

Thanks for the correction. That only removes a little of the romance. lol.

Andrew is a one of a kind in the uke World...fyi they get boxes and boxes of Pono's when they arrive from Indonesia....many for other dealers and most og them for HMS...so it seems like it is easy for Andrew to find a nice one...but in reality it takes time and work to look through the shipment....but that what makes Andrew one of a kind in my book...his work habits rubs off on all of the crew there....

He must really love what he does. His business model has me floored. I've never been treated so well for so long. I've put Andrew through his paces lately asking favor after favor. He often takes my requests a step further. If he makes a rare mistake he makes it good + and you almost feel glad there was an error. Now that's how to run a business. It's been a long time since I've waxed poetic like this on a retail operation. Mostly I'm grateful if I get a minimum amount of good service with a purchase and that it doesn't turn into a nightmare at some point.

Hawaii50 is right ... Andrew takes a lot of time to make sure each buyer is well served ... as per your outstanding note about sending something back so you can really love it.

Here is my uke with the South Coast strings on it.

Enjoy yours!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikKhJ2glww

Wow, what a beautiful and wonderful sounding uke - congrats. I really must think of a pono in my future. Yours too sam13.

Ice my man........nice grab, you got that one before I could but I bought it's twin brother. As Sam13 said his instrument is the one he measures all others by. We have played Koaloha, Kamaka and Kanileas in various stores or events together and he has not been shaken.......not yet anyways;) It is because of his instrument and the times I have played it that I decided to buy this one, was real close to a Koaloha tenor. I will have one of those down the road.

Congrats on a beauty, mine will be here in a couple weeks and I will give you my impressions once I have spent sometime with it.

Beautiful choice and beautiful to look at and most of all, to listen to. Wow. Andrew is the ukulele whisperer....

Wow! What a great sounding instrument. I have been thinking I wanted a cedar top on my next ukulele, I now have my heart set on make and model.

Awesome! Andrew&HMS/Pono pretty hard to go wrong! and the pro-sound from Corey...is really neat! you catch him tuning as he played? how do u do that without going sharp/flat? I was like"ZOMG"!

Good for you!

I let MGM pick out my first nice ukulele. Those guys know their stuff.

I've got Savarez Alliance strings on my PTEC-CE (older version of this same uke) and they sing. Trust me and try them. You'll see...

Here is my uke with the South Coast strings on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FikKhJ2glww

I don't think it's possible to watch a Kimo video without smiling and feeling like the world just got a bit better. There is something so infectious about his enthusiasm, sense of wonder, and boyish grin that really resonate with me. Oh, and the fact that he is also an amazing musician and educator doesn't hurt, either.

Top Bottom