Fraud sounds lake fraud to me just to fishy soundind ?

stevety

Reaction score
got these from Craig list sounds fishy to me. tell me what you think

Hello,
Thanks for getting back to me, so sorry i couldn't respond early i had to visit a relatives that lost their daughter. i just want to let you know that am okay with the condition and price of the item .I am ready to make instant purchase. My mode of payment would be in Certified Bank Check via Postal service Express mail or by UPS courier service

I'll arrange for a local pick up as soon as you get the check cashed and have your money in hand , I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible and i promise everything will go smoothly.

Kindly get back to me with your

-Full Name
-Full Address,Apt # suite #
-including your cell phone so i can instruct my financier agent to make out the payment to you .
-Please reconfirm the Amount for the item;

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you.

Looking forward to read from you
Mr Lauren

You really had to think about it? This is very common, just hit your delete button...

If you haven't read this thread yet, by all means do so. Your example has all of the warning signs of a similar scam.

I had an experience earlier this week with the same party you are referencing with the link. They wanted to buy a uke I had listed on FMM and send me an extra $540 for shipping to New Zealand. I would then need to send the $540 via Western Union to their local shipping agent. Then I received a phony paypal email to show that they had sent the money. I advised them that I had reported their attempted scam to the FBI and wished them luck.

Mitch

Kindly get back to me with your

-Full Name
-Full Address,Apt # suite #
-including your cell phone so i can instruct my financier agent to make out the payment to you .
-Please reconfirm the Amount for the item;

And as soon as this is provided, the payment will be overnight to you and i will let you know when its mailed out. Thanks and i hope we handle this in good faith while waiting to hear from you.

Looking forward to read from you
Mr Lauren

Tell them you don't have a cell phone, and give them the address of your local police station

As I recall, if you take a cert check to your bank, they will accept it and deposit the funds into your account. If that check doesn't clear the bank its purportedly drawn on, your bank will back charge your account and you lose the money. A certified or cashiers check still has to clear the issuing bank and be paid or else it's no good. The exception would be if you presented the cert or cashiers check to the bank that issued it. If they pay it, you keep the money. But of course, the check you get from the scam artist will be issued by some bank that nobody in your area has ever heard of, so you wouldn't be able to present it to the issuing bank.

Someone in the other thread said they tell the person to send the cashiers check to the person who will be picking up to cash and bring the money with them. If fake, you'll never hear back from them.

Fake. I received a couple of responses similar to that when I sold a guitar on craigslist. Tell them cash only and meet only during the day at a busy cafe, if not screw them its a scam.

So obviously a fraud its laughable. Still I had an employee once fall for this with a car where the "buyer" sent a cashiers check for more than the asking price of the car and asked for cash back. Fortunately, at the last minute the employee came to me and told me about it and I stopped her. I also had someone send me a cashiers check years ago from an on line ad. I took it to my bank and told them I thought it was phony so they called the issuing bank - it was fraudulent.

These scammers are getting better at it though. I currently have 2 tenor ukes listed here on UU and on FMM. Had a response from the FMM listing that, at first, seemed genuine. It was brief and asked a few questions about the uke. The same sort of enquiry I would send if interested in a listing. The 2nd email however was what set off the alarm bells. The "I am: Overseas, on a oil platform, down a mine, too busy so I will send an agent etc." So I just ignored it.

But hell, if these go out to tens of thousands of people who are selling items that have a value of, say, $1000+, and if only a few percent take the bait, these buggers are still making a good living.

Be careful, it's dangerous out there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom