Busking and Begging

Rllink

Reaction score
When I started playing the ukulele, my goal was to someday stand on the street in Old San Juan, open up my ukulele case and playing my uke. I told my wife that she could sing with me, but she declined, but I'm not there yet, so there is hope that she will be inspired. My goal was to at least make a little money in the process.

OK, so the other day I was talking to a friend. He was complaining about all the "pan handlers" around this summer. The guy in front to the Quick Trip playing a guitar, the guy out in front of the Hotel on Main Street playing the Sax, and all the ones at the farmer's market. So he said, " isn't there a law against pan handling like that." I've always considered street performers as artists. In fact, I've always admired people who have the guts to put it all out there on the corner, but evidently there are people out there who consider street performing just another form of begging. Anyone run into that attitude in their travels?

If a homeless man is laying on a busy sidewalk, against a building, in a puddle of urine, half-asleep, with a dirty foam coffee cup full of change two-feet from him, not making a sound. Is he begging?

A man paints himself gold, stands on a milk crate and acts like a statue, a cup of coins at his feet. An artist? Busking or begging?

A homeless man sits on a busy sidewalk with a parrot on his shoulder, cardboard sign, "Meet Polly", telling passersby that his bird can mime them or sing to them. He has a cup of change at his feet. Busking or begging?

A man on a street corner with a typewriter has a sign that says he'll type out a personal, four-line poem for $2. Busking?

I rest my case.

(Kidding, rllink. All things I've seen. I don't have the answer to your good question. A quick Google search shows me that your question has been debated more than the US tax code. lol)

Last edited:
Last edited:
I am not a musician or a performer, I started playing uke 6 months ago from a basically non-musical background. I will give my opinion but it is just that, probably full of ignorance. I was born and raised in the big city of Toronto where there are alot of different people doing alot of different things to try and get some money.

What is the difference between a busker and squeggy kids. Both are offering a service or something of preceived value in the hopes you will give them some money. One is cleaning your car window at a red light, the other is playing music you hear as you pass by. Both are looking to get money from you. I guess I do enjoy hearing the music more than having my windshield cleaned. I actually applaude both of them for a least doing something instead of sitting against a building holding out a coffee cup.

Last edited:
When I think of someone "begging," they're usually by themselves at intersections that have long lights or on highway off ramps with some sort of sign SPECIFICALLY ASKING FOR MONEY.

When I think of someone "busking," they're usually playing some music outside and may or may not have some people stopping to listen. They also may have a can/jar/case where, if you're so inclined, you can give them money. We usually have a lot of buskers the first Friday of the month, when the downtown holds their monthly Art Hop, where businesses all showcase local artists.

There is a HUGE difference between the two, and yes, I've run into people that don't consider busking anything more than begging (those are also the people, I've found, that can't comprehend that music is a career for many, and not just some silly hobby).

You rarely see any busking or begging in my very small community. When I've been to places like New York, say, or New Orleans (rarely) and see the musicians playing, I always think highly of them, especially if they are performing well. I try to show my thanks, especially if I stay and listen.

My friend just got a permit to busk so certain cities regulate it (make money).

As someone that has traveled quite a bit in places like India, I am very critical of pan-handlers, but I have no problem with buskers even if they are not talented, they are at least trying to give something to get something.

Busking is a first ammendment right. Like Nongdam stated "money" drives municiplaities to liscense and regulate this. too. Generally, when playing farmers markets and street faires, other musicians are my best tippers. The venue basically gets free entertainment for their patrons, while the musician works for tips and exposure. Ric

We had an old guy in my town who would stand on street corners playing a guitar with only 3 strings (all out of tune) singing crazy songs that made no sense. He would do this every day regardless of the weather. Most people would've probably classed him as a beggar. He became a bit of a tourist attraction and you couldn't help but smile when you saw him. It wasn't until he died and his death was reported in the local paper that it transpired that he was actually a millionaire who lived in one of the most affluent places in town. What people didn't realise before this was that all the money he made while doing this he donated to charity. Every single penny. He didn't advertise what he was doing. He just done it. What a crazy kind hearted man. There's a moral to this story somewhere. Personally I think as long as you are providing some sort of service, be it a song or a laugh then it's all good in my book.

We had an old guy in my town who would stand on street corners playing a guitar with only 3 strings (all out of tune) singing crazy songs that made no sense. He would do this every day regardless of the weather. Most people would've probably classed him as a beggar. He became a bit of a tourist attraction and you couldn't help but smile when you saw him. It wasn't until he died and his death was reported in the local paper that it transpired that he was actually a millionaire who lived in one of the most affluent places in town. What people didn't realise before this was that all the money he made while doing this he donated to charity. Every single penny. He didn't advertise what he was doing. He just done it. What a crazy kind hearted man. There's a moral to this story somewhere. Personally I think as long as you are providing some sort of service, be it a song or a laugh then it's all good in my book.

I like this story. A non-conformist, likely judged harshly by many, just doing his thing, and a good thing at that.

Wasn't it Joshua Bell who was busking in the subway and no one recognized him? I think it was him.
Anyway...seems to me busking and begging are 2 completely different things. With busking I believe the artists are hoping you will compensate them for their talents.

Artists are sooooo undervalued.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Anything goes in my view - we have the choice of donating or not.

The picture is Dieter Meier from Yello in New York.

I'm not even sure what comprises "pan-handling", but here in our sunny but fairly conservative little island you need an official license/permit to busk and the cost is not insignificant (£30 sterling as I remember), so you'd need to be fairly competent and consequently feel fairly confident that you'd be able to cover your expenditure reasonably quickly!

I'm not sure what would happen to an unlicensed busker ... we don't have an on-street begging issue here so there's little precedent. I suspect a stern word in the ear of the offender would be a first step, re-offending would probably incur the wrath of the authorities and result in some hours of community service needing to be served ... it's been some years since they abandoned flogging locally ;)

Very interesting topic!

While "free speech" can't be blocked, compensated activity can be taxed.

I guess it's all about being a good neighbor. If folk use common sense, usually life goes on peacefully for all. It's when folk get too in-your-face pushy or whatever term you prefer that makes local government (regardless of size or locale) seek creative ways to curb the complained-about activity.

So, as far as moneys received through busking is concerned, is it charity or is it taxable income? Is the busker an entrepreneur or beggar? Is busking a business activity which may require a local business license like any other business or just a person goofing off at a pedestrian-frequented location? Should a busker-businessperson's sidewalk access and activity be regulated just like a hot dog vender is? What's the difference, and calling it "art" when the intent is to acquire cash doesn't cut it.

I'm not against busking as a money-making for-profit activity, but do believe that if my income-for-services is taxed that others providing services-for-income be treated simlarly out of simple equality.

Very interesting topic!

While "free speech" can't be blocked, compensated activity can be taxed.

I guess it's all about being a good neighbor. If folk use common sense, usually life goes on peacefully for all. It's when folk get too in-your-face pushy or whatever term you prefer that makes local government (regardless of size or locale) seek creative ways to curb the complained-about activity.

So, as far as moneys received through busking is concerned, is it charity or is it taxable income? Is the busker an entrepreneur or beggar? Is busking a business activity which may require a local business license like any other business or just a person goofing off at a pedestrian-frequented location? Should a busker-businessperson's sidewalk access and activity be regulated just like a hot dog vender is? What's the difference, and calling it "art" when the intent is to acquire cash doesn't cut it.

I'm not against busking as a money-making for-profit activity, but do believe that if my income-for-services is taxed that others providing services-for-income be treated simlarly out of simple equality.

Some interesting points and perspective.
I suppose any busker could keep track more or less of what they make and pay their taxes, some probably do. Others may be clearly below the poverty line and wouldn't owe anyways.
In my town, you've got to get a permit which seems to be easy and free and then it comes down to finding peace with the closest shop owners by not impeding traffic, etc.

Our little city is full of panhandlers. They drive out downtown patrons and make the downtown park a mess. Its a big topic here to the point where the downtown businesses hired their own security to keep them from loitering. If they were entertaining people it might get taken differently.

First pict is a begger panhandler, 2nd pict is an artist busker

Attachments

• panhandler.jpg
    panhandler.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 51
  • Busker.jpg
    Busker.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 53
First pict is a begger panhandler, 2nd pict is an artist busker

Is there any difference between the "artist busker" in the second caption and, let's say, Billy Joel? Both perform music for money, albeit the audience pays more to listen to Billy Joel. Shouldn't they both be subject to the same rules regarding the accounting for revenue, paying taxes related to revenues collected, et cetera?

Part of the problem is the inferred notion that the "artist busker" should not be subject to the plebian rules levied legally on the rest of us, or the more financially successful other "artists" related to professional activities. Whether it's full-time or part-time, it's indeed "self-employment" if the goal is to obtain money. After all, the pail, hat or open instrument case strategically located between the "artist busker" and the audience is there for one purpose only (as money collector). Being an "artist" isn't a general exemption to the mundane things like income taxes, Social Security contributions, etc..

As soon as expecting/hoping/receiving money for performance is involved, the person crosses the line from amateur to professional (some more successful at it than others!). Once professional status is attained, then along with it comes all sorts of licensing, permits, taxes, fees, regulations and such.

So, it brings us back to the original question. If the "artist busker" sees him/herself as exempt from professional regulation even though money is expected/hoped/received for the busker's performance, then the busker is not a professional, but indeed a beggar.

Top Bottom