Ukulele Building Class - PNCA, Portland, OR

davidrboy

Reaction score
https://cereg.pnca.edu/p/adult/s/664

I spoke with the teacher, Frank Irby, yesterday. He said that we'll be building tenors from koa sets put together by Kerry Char. I asked about swapping in a spruce or redwood top and he said sure. Also offered to bring some of his own woods to swap out if I wanted to build with somethig else. Said we'd do binding, purfling, whatever else any particular person wanted to learn. Basically, he said he'd be flexible and help you build the insturment you want. And that it would go way beyond just glueing together a kit.

His co-teacher, Max Sipe, builds gorgeous classical guitars (mostly) and studied with Kerry Char.

Anyway, I'm in. Seems like good fun.

Consider this your heads-up Portlanders.

I talked to Kerry Char about some advice for and topwood for this class. He had good things to say about it.
I think it deserves a little bump to the top.

Let's get a Portland UU contingent in the classroom together...

Anyone interested?

Wow! I wish I had some extra dough so I could go too! That looks like a beautiful uke that they show in the pic. Its just too bad that you cant make a saprono

I wish we had something like that in my area. I'd be first on the list.

Ive sent the teacher an email to get more info. Ill definately plan on signing up for the next class he does. Just cant go this time! Sob! I really hope he will consider letting us make soprano ukes next time. A tenor is pretty big for my taste.

FYI, the link that you provide shows that the class is full.

Tomorrow night. Enter with 10 fingers and 2 eyes - leave with the same amount, hopefully.

Drag. It wasn't when I looked earlier.

I'll do a review at some point -- the class will be offered again.

Top Bottom