Pickup installation help needed

BIGDB

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have a Kanilea tenor and I own a fishman matrix infinity. If you guys were in my position would you send your ukulele to hawaii(I'm in southern California) so Kanilea factory can work on it or would you take it to your local shop? Does anyone here know of any Southern California shops that would be able to do a good job or am I better off sending it to kanilea?

Any advice would help
Thanks

I'd rather take it to a competent local shop.

I second that, there are plenty of good folks that can do the work here in So. Cal. Just make sure the inspect your bracing with a mirror before they drill which any quality guy will. I have a Kanilea that I had a Misi installed here in San Diego and the guy I had do it inspected real closely as to not drill through any bracing. The under saddle hole has to be done at an angle and with my Kanilea there was a brace that he had to miss and drill just at the perfect angle. He made it look easy and it came out perfect.

I've had very good experience with Brad at U-Space in downtown LA, at the Japanese Cultural Center. I've also used a luthier in the Beverwil area who is highly regarded, Fren Asken, who does a lot of big name musician's work, so he's very busy and booked for months.

If your Kanile'a is brand new...send it to Kanile'a....if you want to keep your warranty

Two places where I've had work done... McCabe's in Santa Monica, and a little shop called Music Works in Redondo Beach. Both do excellent work.

I've got a K&K Aloha Twin inbound for my GString tenor. Aside from the fact that Gstring's web page says 1.) they prefer to install Fishman equipment, and 2.) all shop work is pretty much on hold while they get things sorted out from the recent storms, it would take a while anyway to ship the uke back, wait its turn in the queue, and then get shipped back. So I'm having it done by a local luthier (of which there are several in BTV), who has installed a pickup in another uke for me in the past. As mentioned above, if it's still under warranty, it might be best to go through the builder, but otherwise, save some time and expense and support your local businesses if they do quality work.

Top Bottom