Guitars to Ukuleles

Down Up Dick

Reaction score
I'm surprised to find so many guitar and banjo players who have switched to ukuleles. Some who have played guitar for forty or fifty years. It seems to me that someone who has played an instrument for that long should be pretty good at it.

I bought my baritone Uke because I like their deeper tones, but I also bought it because I thought it might give me a step up on a guitar some day. (Actually, I'm making the same mistake I've been making all my musical life--too many different musical instruments at the same time.) Anyway, I'm wondering what's wrong with playing a guitar or banjo after all those years? If I could play the banjo well, I think I could be happy with just playing the heck out of it like my hero Bela Fleck. :eek:ld:

For me there were several reasons to try ukulele. Went from 6-string to mandolin and added tenor guitar, then tenor banjo and now ukulele. Part of it was physical (the hands aren't as "efficient" as they used to be in reaching some of the chord patterns) and part convenience - easier to leave a smaller instrument in a chair or on a coffee table than a dreadnaught guitar. Besides, there's a fun-factor in trying new stuff.

Utter frustration with the classical guitar made me buy a uke. Classical is so regimented and technical. The uke can be too, but my approach to the uke was never to take it too serious. I've broken that rule many times but then I always remind myself of it again! I also promised myself never, ever, to learn ANY chords on the uke. I'm happy to discover what sounds good as I'm playing. I bought a square neck reso a few months ago but haven't played it much because the uke is so much fun !!

I started playing guitar at 15 in 1965, caught up in the Beatle and rock and roll craze, but I never could bring myself to sit for hours on end practicing, but I liked playing. I learned best when I sat with someone who showed me what to play. 50 years later I got caught up in the ukulele and in the last year have applied myself to it more than I have in 20 years with my guitars, it's small and comfortable and easy to play.

Through those 50 years I often considered the idea of learning bass, but never wanted to be encumbered by a big electric, forget an upright, but with so many uke and mini basses out now, I've been inspired to take that on too. (It does help that I semi-retired shortly after taking up the uke.)

I could never play more than a good selection of basic chords and some etudes from Frederic Noad's classical book from the 80s that went along with his PBS series. I had 3 small bodied Goyas over about 15 years and wish I still had one now, but gave up on the time needed to progress further well before the internet came along and supplied so much info and visual lessons. If I'd had resources like here at UU I'd have stuck. However stumbling across uke made me feel like I could manage those 4 strings and I have had a blast just messing around and trying to get some theory down. Once we moved into a tad bigger space I added guitars back in, now there are six oops SEVEN vying for room and not enough space to hide them all!

I didn't really switch. I still play guitar, but added ukulele to the mix.

Another guitar to ukulele player here. There was a thread explaining why the OP preferred ukulele to guitar: He (and I too) bond with it better cos of its size. But for me, I also find it easier to play and make my own arrangements of songs with a uke. I still play a guitar but not so often and not as well.

I see my musical life mirrored in some of the above postings :)

Started on guitar in the '60's ... Dylan, Baez, Paxton, Cohen et al were my guiding lights :music:

Had a couple of ukulele wall-hangers in the '70's, along with a six-string balalaika ... a good friend had a sitar ... we made happy noises :)

Over the years fashions and interests came and went, the big blonde Antoria 6-string jumbo was always there like a faithful dog, waiting for a stroke and a pat.

In recent times "fair wear and tear" has started to take its toll of joints and like and I started to look around for more sedentary occupations ... kick-starting that old Harley probably did my right leg no favours at all, not that it was ever an issue at the time.

Bought a 5-string open-back banjo to learn to play claw-hammer and similar, nothing flash or noisy, just a style I enjoyed listening to.

Once "into" banjo I saw an old banjolele in a shop window and thought it might be fun.

Then it started ... UAS and it's associated side effects. Several more ukuleles, mandolin, mandola, 12-string guitar ... the list goes on ... and I haven't even mentioned the woodwind yet!

So no, I haven't moved from guitar to ukulele, I've added ukulele to my list of enjoyments ... long may it last :cool:

Yep. Same story I played a guitar for years, over forty years in fact, singer/guitarist weddings, gigs etc. Then I was at a gig and a guy pulled out a Ukulele. I bought one a few days later. Several reasons.

I like the size of the Uke you can tote it anywhere. I like being free of the plectrum, because I can get the sounds I like from a Ukulele without one AND I can change strum patterns in the middle of a song. A fan strum, a bit of chucking, a bit of picking and all in the same song. All of which makes it perfect for singing and playing with.

Since I started playing my Ukuleles (I have several now sitting around my house) I play every day. I take at least one to every social gathering I get invited to. I formed a group, I visit other groups, and after years of playing my guitar and singing to people, I now have people playing and singing with me, which is a whole lot more fun. Then there's all the people who started playing with the group that have never played a musical instrument before in their whole lives and they love it. Did I mention there are Uke groups everywhere, you can just rock up and be made welcome to sing and play along. Yes, I could go on but you get the point.

It's social (members of my group range from age 10 to over 80) . It's versatile and it's fun.

AND Uke groups are supportive. Everyone is willing to help. You look around the room and there are folks showing others how to play the chord or do the strum.

Last edited:
Yep Yep Yep, played the guitar and now hooked on my Uke. I have 4 very lonely guitars sitting there in the corner waiting. I try to get them out once a week and do a song or 2 on each. The Ukulele is just so much fun and its small size is a plus. I got a friend of mine hooked also and we used to meet up every 2 weeks for beers and guitars and now its beers and ukes. We were laughing about this a couple of weeks ago and he asked if he should bring his guitar over the next time and I said you could but why.

I'm surprised to find so many guitar and banjo players who have switched to ukuleles. Some who have played guitar for forty or fifty years. It seems to me that someone who has played an instrument for that long should be pretty good at it.

That really has no bearing whatsoever on your skill (how long you've played it), as I've seen kids that have only played an instrument for a year or two completely smoke other players that have been doing it for easily four times as long. It comes down to what type of skill level you want on the instrument; some players are happy strumming some simple chords to their favorite songs and some want to know the entire fretboard like the back of their hand.

As for guitarists picking up ukulele (whether switching to, or just picking up as well), the chord shapes on the uke are the same as what you'd do for the top 4 of the guitar, so you have an instant understanding, at least on some part.

That really has no bearing whatsoever on your skill (how long you've played it), as I've seen kids that have only played an instrument for a year or two completely smoke other players that have been doing it for easily four times as long. It comes down to what type of skill level you want on the instrument; some players are happy strumming some simple chords to their favorite songs and some want to know the entire fretboard like the back of their hand.

As for guitarists picking up ukulele (whether switching to, or just picking up as well), the chord shapes on the uke are the same as what you'd do for the top 4 of the guitar, so you have an instant understanding, at least on some part.
Well, that goes without saying. If one doesn't practice or study or have any talent, he probably won't have much success. Like anything else, one gets outta music what he puts into it. And one probably wouldn't be just piddling with a guitar or banjo for 40 or 50 years without any progress. :eek:ld:

And one probably wouldn't be just piddling with a guitar or banjo for 40 or 50 years without any progress. :eek:ld:

Again, you're assuming. If the person piddling with a guitar or banjo for 40 or 50 years is happy playing the same set of songs, you'll see a modicum of progress, if any at all.

OBM, Ha! And you are assuming that someone would be dull enough to just sit and piddle away on the same tunes for 40 or 50 years without stumbling into some better music. Even a chimp could probably improve his guitar playing in 40 or 50 years. :eek:ld:

OBM, Ha! And you are assuming that someone would be dull enough to just sit and piddle away on the same tunes for 40 or 50 years without stumbling into some better music. Even a chimp could probably improve his guitar playing in 40 or 50 years. :eek:ld:

I'm going to keep stating it. If they're HAPPY just playing the same things, not much will change. And in the eyes of that player (you know, the one that's HAPPY), does it really matter?

My friend retired and took up "Classical" guitar. He likes to tell everyone "Classical" guitar. I don't even know what that is. So I actually thought about playing the guitar, but my friend, who was always this easy going guy, got super serious about classical guitar. It just took over. He is a slave to his guitar. The ukulele just seemed to be more of a care free instrument, and at least for me, it has been. I'm glad that I took up the ukulele instead of the guitar. As far as playing both, the uke is about all that I can handle.

Well, that goes without saying. If one doesn't practice or study or have any talent, he probably won't have much success. Like anything else, one gets outta music what he puts into it. And one probably wouldn't be just piddling with a guitar or banjo for 40 or 50 years without any progress. :eek:ld:

I think I have.....

Not having any talent, just have fun. Have described myself as the second-worst guitarist in the South (statistically, there is a probability that there is someone worse than me!). It hasn't deterred me at all, much to the pain of those around me.

As far as guitar is concerned, the tenor guitar fulfills that niche completely now. There's always something about the sound of a good guitar, and since I can't do six-strings anymore, the tenor more than fills the bill.

Top Bottom