Solsbury Hill - Peter Gabriel

uke4ia

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score

For some reason, out of the 300+ videos I've done, the most views I've had were for a version of Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill" on a badly out-of-tune tiple. (The phrase "out-of-tune tiple" seems redundant.) And just last night I realized that throughout the song, I'm playing the instrumental riff as two bars of 4/4 when it should be one bar of 7/4.

So I felt a need to try again, and do better. I'm playing a Kawika tenor. I was careful this time to stay in 7/4. The whole song is in 7, except for two bars of 4/4 at the end of each verse ("Son, he said..."). It can take a few tries to sync up the rhythms of the playing and singing.

I play this in G, because I can't sing as high as Peter Gabriel. For every line in the verse, you play a certain chord, then a D, then back to the first chord. If you're using a high G string (re-entrant tuning) when you go back to the first chord, try to emphasize the G string and minimize the A string.

Intro:
Gsus4 G
C G D (single notes F# G A)

Verse:
G D G
G D G
Em7 D Em7
Em7 D Em7
G D G
G D G
Em7 D Em7
Em7 D Em7
Cmaj7 D Cmaj7
Cmaj7 D Cmaj7
Em7 D Em7
Em7 D Em7
C G D (single notes F# G A)

or instead of that last line, play C G G D with the latter two chords higher up the neck as I do here

Top Bottom