Can you play D# on the ukulele?

Bookworm

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a chord chart for D# anywhere. Is it playable on the uke?

Of course!
D# = Eb

So all you need to do is either add one fret to a D chord or take one fret away from an E chord.

D=2220
E=4442

So D# or Eb is right in the middle of those.

D#=3331 or you can play 3336 if that is easier.

Of course!
D# = Eb

So all you need to do is either add one fret to a D chord or take one fret away from an E chord.

D=2220
E=4442

So D# or Eb is right in the middle of those.

D#=3331 or you can play 3336 if that is easier.

0331 also works. Sometimes it's easier than 3331, depending on what comes before and after.

These chord charts have helped me a lot. http://www.gstboces.org/toolbox/template.cfm?ID=2990&P=LP&L=5864&T=Chord%20Chart

Db is the same as C#
Eb is the same as D#
Gb is the same as F#
Ab is the same as G#
Bb is the same as A#

Useful, but be aware that that chart has at least a couple of mistakes. Gflat aug and A aug are both wrong.
I've seen this before, I can only assume the same mistakes are being copied over and over.

G flat Aug = 3221
A aug = 2110

Not everyone may notice, but hey - I happen to like augmented chords! :)

Useful, but be aware that that chart has at least a couple of mistakes. Gflat aug and A aug are both wrong.
I've seen this before, I can only assume the same mistakes are being copied over and over.

G flat Aug = 3221
A aug = 2110

Not everyone may notice, but hey - I happen to like augmented chords! :)

Thank you for the corrections! I have three copies of these sheets floating around the house. I'm going to rustle them up and make corrections. Not that I've ever played either of those chords, that I can remember, but I know I will eventually!!!! Mahalo!!

Bookworm asks, "Can you play D# on the ukulele?"

No, I cannot play a D# on a ukulele. And that's the correct answer to your question. :)

Bookworm asks, "Can you play D# on the ukulele?"

No, I cannot play a D# on a ukulele. And that's the correct answer to your question. :)

Kinda like, "does that cedar top have a nice sweet sound"? ..........."not when I play it"

Last edited:
As I recall, D# was banned from the Ukulele by the Hague Convention. Or, am I wrong about that? Oh, no wait one. I was thinking about the sinking of hospital ships. I think D# is still OK.

Aldrene Guerrero had a "Uke Minute" on how to hold an E chord shape. Just play it one fret down from E and you get a D#.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTS0qHXupJs

Once I got practiced at doing the chord this way I found that holding a D# chord this way (with only two fingers) is easier than holding it with four fingers.

As I recall, D# was banned from the Ukulele by the Hague Convention. Or, am I wrong about that? Oh, no wait one. I was thinking about the sinking of hospital ships. I think D# is still OK.
Haha, good one. Vegas.

Yes, the Hague Convention. It banned the sinking of hospital ships, as well as the use of sinker redwood on guitars, sitars, cellos and upright basses. Nothing about ukuleles (a loophole, perhaps), or about the lamentable D#.

I had to get my copy from the cedar-lined storage trunk in my attic to be certain.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice, everyone! I didn't realize that D# had another name... maybe it's time I actually start learning about chord theory, haha!

Top Bottom