Bolo pick

fowl

Reaction score
Have any of you used these soft uke picks? I am curious if they perform like the old soft felt picks they had back in the 50's. All the felt picks I find now are hard and stiff.

I haven't tried a Bolo pick yet, but they look like something to try. Those pick holders are mighty interesting too.

I rarely use a pick, but if I do, I have some Wedgie picks that are rubber. They eventually wear down a bit, but I like the feel of them and the fact that they are not stiff.

I don't go back as far as the '50's (with reference to uke's) but I've got a couple of "Jumping Cow" felt picks, one "proper" felt, the other "artificial" felt, that are both quite soft, much like those I remember from the late '60's/early '70's. I prefer the artificial one, but I can't really say why :confused: they both sound much the same on the strings, but the artificial feels nicer to hold, IMHO.
However, I do also have some Mahalo-branded felt picks that feel truly horribly hard, but again, sound virtually identical on the strings as the other two.
I've not used any of them sufficiently to be able to comment on long term wear and I'd happily use any of them to get that "felt pick" sound if I needed to, but if/when I need to buy more, it'll probably be a Jumping Cow artificial I'd look for first :)

Hope this helps ... as always, YMMV

OK Ukuleleblues, based on your recommendation I've ordered one holder and six extra picks. If I don't like them, your buying your next 9 picks from me! :)

Top Bottom