Tom TUT-200E First Impressions

SookeUke

Reaction score
I received a Tom TUT-200E last week and boy howdy was I impressed with this uke. The TUT-200E is a tenor laminate mahogany acoustic/electric with Aquila strings. It was roughly half the cost of my Kala KA-TE and the fit, finish and playability is every bit as good. The neck is a dream, your hand slides up and down like silk. The fret ends and fingerboard nicely finished as well. Intonation is ever so slightly sharp at the 12th. It has a MOP 'T' inlay on the headstock and tortoise shell binding front and back. Body shape is thinner at the top bout than the bottom bout with a curved back. Sound wise it is louder and has a deeper tone than the Kala. I'm thinking of going with a low G because of it. Plugged in it sounds pretty much like the Kala. The electronics are branded Tom TP-20U and are very similar to the Belcat UK-300T including the chromatic tuner. I think it would make for a good first uke or a good take with you anywhere and not worry about uke. My wife thinks it's much prettier than the Kala. After about a week of swapping back and forth if I was only allowed to keep one I would pick the Kala because of it's brighter tone..but that would be a hard decision. I really like the Tom and it's not going anywhere ;)

Attachments

• IMG_1231.jpg
    IMG_1231.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1232.jpg
    IMG_1232.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 47
Looks pretty awesome! I remember my Kala KA-TE and if the Tom sounds almost as good as your kala, then wow! How much did it cost you?

It was $140 shipped and it came with a nice padded gig bag. I was playing them both again last night and I have to say that the one I'm playing at that moment is my favorite ;)

Hi!! I just bought the same ukulele, and the sound is great, but I can't find the specifications for the tuner batteries. I've tried many different types and none seem to work (I'm starting to think it doesn't work at all). Can you tell me the specifications please? Regards from Chile.

Top Bottom