Help with Low G String Gage

Mike7300

Reaction score
I bought a concert uke with Aquila New Nylgut strings, high G.

I just received an Aquila New Nylgut Low G in the mail that i want to put on.
However, the string looks relatively thin....and i was expecting the string to be thicker than any of the other strings already on my Uke.

So im not sure what to do, as im not positive if its actually a Low G or not.
Anyone have a suggestion on what i can compare it to? Or if it should be thicker than all my other Uke strings?

Does the string have a winding around it? A lot of the low-G packs contain wound strings for the low-G. A wound low-G is about the same diameter as the C string.

Does the string have a winding around it? A lot of the low-G packs contain wound strings for the low-G. A wound low-G is about the same diameter as the C string.

Yes its definitely wound....but its nowhere near the diameter of the C string thats currently on my Uke. Im wondering if they mailed me the wrong string.

If it's a wound string it should be fine.

The easy thing is to just install it and tune it up. The wound strings tend to not ge that thick, especially the Low-G since if it was much thicker it wouldn't fit the same nut slot.

When I said about the size of the C I should have mentioned that it's not that thick but should fit okay in that slot. When they designed the low-G the idea was to have it thick enough as wound to work, but thin enough to not require refiling the nut slot.

Hooe that helps.

Top Bottom