Learning tools

Kim la

Reaction score
Just curious what method you guys used to learn how to play? I have been playing for a few months now but find myself bouncing all around from books to videos and back again. Feel like I need something structured. Any recommendations?

I used Uncle Rod's Ukulele Boot Camp. Don't buy books until you understand which book you need and why you need it. Lessons here on UU, HawaiiMusicSupply, and on YouTube.......lots of tutorials on "everything" uke. Just enter Ukulele how to and fill in the blank. Trying to learn by just playing songs is too hard for most............trying to learn how to hold, strum, fret, unfamiliar chords and lyrics all at the same time is too much unless you're some kind of prodigy. New song, master the chords first, the strumming/picking pattern, then learn the lyrics, then combine them. Good luck.

I agree with Phil and Jenny, Uncle Rod's Bootcamp gets you started. Don't buy a bunch of books, unless they are song books, and even then, there are a lot of songs on the internet that you can have for free. After you get some chords under your belt, and you have played all of Uncle Rods songs, you can buy something like Daily Ukulele, and just start picking out whatever songs you like and start playing them. My advise, and take it for what it is worth, don't spend a whole lot of time learning stuff just for the sake of learning stuff. Learn chords, play songs, and start building from there. You should be able to play Oh Susanna after a couple of days tops. Here are a bunch of songs you can play. http://www.cathyschords.com/ukulelesongs.htm

Top Bottom