Protecting the finish

KaijuEmily

Reaction score
I usually hear different recomendations on treating the wood of different instruments, as well as many different opinions for protecting their ukes. So what do you guys think of products that are supposed to protect the wood and the satin finish? What do you use to treat the wood of a ukulele? Shea butter is used on kalimbas , but im not just going to put some of that on my uke...

It really depends on the finish. If it is a high gloss lacquer or poly you don't have to do anything but wipe it off. On oil finish like Mya Moe tru oil can be revitalized with lemon oil. A satin finish is more then likely a poly and you can apply a good furniture wax if you like or some lemon oil and then swipe it all off and I mean all off.

Just keep it clean

Satin finishes are weird, because what you end up doing with your hands is an oil rub until parts of it become gloss. I have an electric bass with a satin finish that has a lot of glossy spots now, no matter how well I wipe it off.

I use a product called Bb from Zymol for any instrument with a satin finish. Zymol is known for high end car finishes, and came out with a line of instrument cleaners/conditioners. Doesn't take a lot and wasn't that expensive. I would go that route.

I was reading somewhere that a guy put guitar polish on his satin finish uke. The polish went into the pores and quickly turned solid so that his uke was covered in white spots he couldn't remove. Guess I'll just do the damp cloth thing occasionally.

And yes Bad Monkey, the finger polish patches are already appearing after only a month or so. That's OK though, it just looks as if I've been practicing.

Cheap and easy, Mineral Oil. I use it on the fingerboard and body for conditioning and cleaning. Little bit goes a long way. Turn around and use it on your wood cutting board, knife handles and so on

Top Bottom