tension on dgbe tenor strings

Kimosabe

Reaction score
I have an extra tenor---tenors are what I play, with the exception of a great Ceniza longneck concert---and I would like to string it dGBE.

I have read various threads and see that Aguila and Living Strings have such sets.

Does anyone have any experience with these sets and in particular their tension? Is it like normal tension or it it on the too low side?

I tuned my tenor down to this tuning with the strings that were already on it and it's just too loose for pleasure and volume.

No, I'm not going to buy a baritone.

As you have noticed. Tenor gCEA strings on a tenor tuned dGBE have quite low tension. Tenor dGBE strings will have higher tension than that. That's what they are designed to do. I have a tenor fitted with Baritone DGBE strings tuned DGBE. The tension is still low but OK. I'm not sure that a concert body instrument is the best example for the experiment as the body is a little small for the lower frequencies.

Anthony

Ideally, the tension should be the same with a DGBE set as a regular gCEA on a tenor. I've been working with Craig Chee to make up a dGBE (baritone re-entrant), and due to scale size I'm using strings that would be bigger than what you'd use on a baritone with the same tuning, to keep the tension consistent.

We've got a few selections for that set-up, as it was the original stringing for the Tenor Ukulele.

HU-NW & HU-W3 have moderate tensions; the new XHU-SW is firm.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dirk. Southcoast is the best. My next set of dGBE tenor strings will be from you. I went out and bought Aguila's version at Pua Pua here in Waikiki before I saw your posting. Their strings have normal tension, a wound G. Yours are probably much better balanced.

Top Bottom