FS: Ko'olau CS Custom (Flamed Cuban Mahogany!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearbike137

Reaction score
SOLD!

I’m selling my 2013/2014 Ko’olau CS Custom. If you are a fan of Ko’olau, this may be as good as it gets.

Made from Koolau's last set of flamed Cuban Mahogany. As Noa Bonk said, “This mahogany cost us more than any koa ever did, and it is the very last set of flame Cuban mahogany we have.” It is the same back and sides that Aaron from HMS ordered on his own Ko’olau CS.

Many upgrades:
• Slotted headstock
• Madagascar Rosewood fretboard, pin bridge and faceplate
• Bone bridge pins
• Waverly deluxe gold tuning keys / snakewood buttons
• Abalone top inlay and purfling
• Ko’olau deluxe CS Hard Shell plush case

Mahogany neck, nitrocellulose satin finish, radiused fretboard. Wonderful sustain and tone. Here is a clip of Corey playing it: http://vimeo.com/88941075

(You may have notice that the video has more “likes” than any other uke clip)

This ukulele sounds so good and looks so nice that Ko’olau features it on the front page of its website: http://koolauukulele.com/

Near Mint condition. No dings, or scratches or wear. Just a bit of evidence of being played on the fretboard and the top. Looks nearly brand new. I am the original owner.

Price is $2850, including ground shipping and insurance to lower 48 states. (If you want to use regular Paypal, that is fine, but you are responsible for associated fees.)

More photos here: http://s199.photobucket.com/user/SteveKlim/slideshow/Koolau CS Custom

I am selling to fund the purchase of another ukulele. Please feel free to email me with any questions. Thank you!

Last edited:
wow...i didn't think i'd ever see this uke for sale. what on earth are you replacing THIS with?

beautiful uke and beautiful sound. I saw this on vimeo a while back and I couldn't figure out what type of wood it was. I thought it was redwood. good luck with the sale! Not sure what uke you can get that's better than this!

wow...i didn't think i'd ever see this uke for sale. what on earth are you replacing THIS with?

I honestly wish I could afford to keep it. It is a very special ukulele. However, I bought that TODA that Andrew just got into stock. Neither is better - they are just different shades of great.

What a gorgeous sounding instrument. BTW, the Ko'olau site says it's Hawaiian Mahogany (not Cuban).

What a gorgeous sounding instrument. BTW, the Ko'olau site says it's Hawaiian Mahogany (not Cuban).

Same thing, actually. From the Ko'olau website: "The other Mahogany we use is Swietenia Mahogani, or commonly named West Indian Mahogany, Spanish Mahogany, or Cuban Mahogany. This type, the West Indian Mahogany is more expensive due to being considered commercially extinct, however over 100 years ago this Mahogany, Swietenia Mahogani was planted here on Oahu. Although we have relatively few Swietenia Mahogani (or as we call it Hawaiian Mahogany) on Oahu, on occasion we are able to acquire this rarely harvested lumber. Our cost of acquiring this lumber is higher than most Koa.

I honestly wish I could afford to keep it. It is a very special ukulele. However, I bought that TODA that Andrew just got into stock. Neither is better - they are just different shades of great.

Beautiful Uke, also a rare wood by the number one K brand on Oahu. Very desirable but...I am trying to contol my you know what, {uas}.

I also gotta know if I need a TODA. So, what is a TODA? Is that another one that I gotta have too?

Good luck with the sale, I will be thinking about it.

Beautiful Uke, also a rare wood by the number one K brand on Oahu. Very desirable but...I am trying to contol my you know what, {uas}.

I also gotta know if I need a TODA. So, what is a TODA? Is that another one that I gotta have too?

Good luck with the sale, I will be thinking about it.

You gotta have this amazing Ko'olau. Trust me on this. :)

I would like to see a picture of the sides. Looking down as if playing. also the back of the headstock with the tuner buttons.

Mahalo.

@bearbike and @hawaii50; thanks for the interesting clarification on the origin of the mahogany.

No problem. I was originally confused by that as well. It appears that, years ago, someone was smart enough to plant some Cuban Mahogany on Oahu. Apparently those trees can't be harvested for any production, but if they fall or must be taken down - it is fair game. From what I understand, the wood on this uke came from a fairly special tree in that the Cuban Mahogany was so beautifully flamed. I have seen the wood from that same tree used on some high end guitars that look simply amazing.

This is similar to Indonesian Rosewood. I believe it is technically the same species as East Indian Rosewood, but was introduced to Indonesia at some point, then cultivated and farmed there.

-Steve

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom