Aquila Nylgut vs D'Addario Nyltech (EJ88)...same same or different?

armchair_spaceman

Reaction score
Apologies if this has been asked and answered (doubtless it has), I tried the search function but links to search results keep giving me a 403 (weird...)

Are these two string sets the same formulation? Same/similar tonally? I've somehow ended up with a set of the D'Addario Nyltechs (EJ88T). I don't love Aquilas on my current Tenor (KoAloha), if the D'Addarios aren't much different I'll save them for another Uke rather than trying them out.

Last edited:
sometimes it helps gto use a real search engine and toss in ukuleleunderground as one of the keywords.

consensus used to be that nyltechs are more like nylguts before they reformulated them some years ago. nyltechs are definitely more similar to nylguts than a fluorocarbon set would be to nylguts.

Nyltechs are a proprietary Aquila formula, produced in The USA by D'Addario under license. They do indeed, to my ear, sound very much like the original Aquila Nylguts. I use them on my Flea, Fluke and Firefly.

I do not care for the "New Nylgut" formula from Aquila, and I have yet to try the new Super Nylguts.

Scooter

I really dislike the "new formula" Nylguts, but I actually like the D'Addario Nyltechs. They sound and feel to me about as close to the *old* formula Nyguts as one can get these days, at least on my ukes. YMMV.

Top Bottom