Friction Violin Peg Experiment

Timbuck

Reaction score
I'm doing some experiments with Friction Violin pegs 1/4 & 1/8th small pegs tune best but slip easier due to less friction area...Large pegs slip less but tuning is difficult due to the dia of the peg
I knocked up this idea ..I took an old violin ebonized maple peg I had kicking around the workshop made a simple brass spigot like metal tuners have (this one is 1/8" dia) and fitted it deep into the end of the wooden peg, at first I tried reducing the end of the peg in the lathe but it just broke off..... The idea is to get a budget fine tuning violin type peg...Due to the leverage principle there's less chance of slipping, so we get the best of both sizes ...I did a mock test set up on a piece of wood & I was supprised how well it really really works. Now all we have to do is find someone who will manufacture these for us.

:cheers:

Last edited:
Last edited:
small pegs tune best but slip easier due to less friction area
... this is an illusion. The coefficient of friction is constant irrespective of area! What's probably happening is that given greater area there's more occaision for minor irregularities interlocking on the adjacent surfaces ... this is what happens when fat tyres are fitted on cars, there's more grip due to the wider area of tarmac being able to inter-react with the tyre rubber, but the friction remains constant, assuming the materials are the same.

Pedantic, I know ... but what the heck :)

PS : nice workmanship :cool:

Well all this peg talk got me going last night so I took a try at turning one. Was much easier than I thought, about 20 minutes work for this first one. I imagine the next few going much quicker. This one is of local sycamore. I can easily imagine turning down the tip to the profile of your design Ken. Don't know if the tip being metal is the important part.??

peg.jpg

Give it a go on the lathe Ken and turn some from scratch. You are the machining master!

Well all this peg talk got me going last night so I took a try at turning one. Was much easier than I thought, about 20 minutes work for this first one. I imagine the next few going much quicker. This one is of local sycamore. I can easily imagine turning down the tip to the profile of your design Ken. Don't know if the tip being metal is the important part.??

View attachment 70969

Give it a go on the lathe Ken and turn some from scratch. You are the machining master!

Like I said in the OP I tried that first... the small diameter i wanted 1/8th wasnt strong enough to hold the pull of the string and it broke off ..the metal insert is the way to go the headstock taper holds it all in place firmly...By the way you made a nice job of the peg:cool:

Like I said in the OP I tried that first... the small diameter i wanted 1/8th wasnt strong enough to hold the pull of the string and it broke off ..the metal insert is the way to go the headstock taper holds it all in place firmly...By the way you made a nice job of the peg:cool:
What about something like this for a wood peg, where the narrow part is below the hole?
Peg.jpg

The metal version is certainly nicer, but looks like quite a bit more work.

Top Bottom