Martin custom shop 5k tenors are out !

Doc_J

Reaction score
Wow just saw a new Martin custom shop 5k tenor in Madagascar Rosewood, Adirondack Spruce, and lots of abalone.
Didn't realize they were even making these. But they cost about as much as a Taylor reserve set including the guitar and uke.

http://www.hawaiianukuleleonline.com/martin-rosewood-tenor-d45-dreadnought-spruce-limited-edition-custom-ukulele

IMG_9541-820x1240.jpg

IMG_9546-820x1240.jpg

IMG_9542-820x1240.jpg

IMG_9545-820x1240.jpg

Last edited:
Stunning! I didn't know Martin was making these beauties either. Pricey though, OUCH! Way out of my reach.

Stunning, Hodge. Thanks for posting this link.

And the selling price is not outrageous given the fact that, in about twenty years, that ukulele will be worth at least half of it's current price. :)

I am worried that if I bought one of these ostentatious beauties, or one like it, some people might confuse it with an Oscar Schmidt from across the room.

That's the same price as a new D-45 guitar. It's beautiful but hard to justify the expense.
Which luthier said that the problem with ukes is that they are 2/3 rds the work of a guitar for half of the price?

Which luthier said that the problem with ukes is that they are 2/3 rds the work of a guitar for half of the price?

If I'm not mistaken, that was Oscar Schmidt, himself.

Or did Schmidt say that the problem with ukes is that they are 2/3 the size of a guitar for twice the overseas shipping cost.

One or the other. Yes.

That's the same price as a new D-45 guitar. It's beautiful but hard to justify the expense.

I think that was Kenny Hill, who apparently "got out of the uke making business" based on that posit; according to Rick Turner, anyway. At least that's who I *think* it was. -- Matt

Stunning, but shouldn't this be called the Martin 5R tenor, since it's not made of koa.?

Seems like it should be.

As great as Martin's can be, I just can't imagine too many people rushing to spend more -- and in some cases a lot more -- than a Moore Bettah, Lichty, Devine, Beau Hannam, etc.

are you sure it's not diamond purfling? at that price, it better be!

to tell the truth, I"d rather have the Maui Music all cedar tenor on the marketplace and have enough left over for a deluxe HI vacation. It is pretty though.

Last edited:
What hasn't been mentioned is this is offered by Pua Pua- one of the most expensive shops in the world.

When I was in Honolulu back in March, I stopped in both locations for a visit. The main location, in the Sheraton I believe, I got to charting with the clerk. He was trying to sell me a nice Kanilea. I gasped at the price, having been to many uke shops and seen the prices. I asked "why is this so high compared to other stores?" He replied "well, our target market is Asian tourists and they like our prices." Fair enough. He then told me a story about a guy that bought a $13,000 Ko'olau archtop from his store. The guy came back the next day to ask how it should be tuned... I took that to mean they serve deep-pocketed tourists who may not even play.

Take a look at their DeVine prices. About 2-3 times cost of buying from Eric. That said, they sell them fast, so clearly they have a market!

It's a beautiful custom looking uke but I wouldn't want to have such an expensive instrument around. I would be afraid of banging it up by falling or I would not want to bring it anywhere because it cost too much (like to a uke jam). That's why I stopped my new Martin purchases at the 3M. Any pricier would mean I would probably leave it always in the case and not bring it anywhere.

Petey

What hasn't been mentioned is this is offered by Pua Pua- one of the most expensive shops in the world.

When I was in Honolulu back in March, I stopped in both locations for a visit. The main location, in the Sheraton I believe, I got to charting with the clerk. He was trying to sell me a nice Kanilea. I gasped at the price, having been to many uke shops and seen the prices. I asked "why is this so high compared to other stores?" He replied "well, our target market is Asian tourists and they like our prices." Fair enough. He then told me a story about a guy that bought a $13,000 Ko'olau archtop from his store. The guy came back the next day to ask how it should be tuned... I took that to mean they serve deep-pocketed tourists who may not even play.

Take a look at their DeVine prices. About 2-3 times cost of buying from Eric. That said, they sell them fast, so clearly they have a market!

That is just crazy stuff, man.

Those tuners kind of spoil it for me.

Top Bottom